Pennies from Heaven

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-08-2016, 09:38 PM
Pennies from Heaven
I was reminded today of a co-worker I had who thought whenever she found a penny it was from her dad in Heaven, now she was a super cool lady and we are still friendly plus she can think whatever she wants but I always thought that was the dumbest shit. I mean I find pennies all the damn time so I know it's a common boring thing but if you google "Pennies from Heaven stories" You will find all kinds of people online talking about this "miracle" or "phenomena".

I read one where this guy says pennies say "In God We Trust" so he leaves pennies for us so we can be reminded to trust him, ok "In God We Trust" is written on all coins right? and paper money? "Hey I just found this briefcase filled with a million in cash! Thanks God!"

I also think it would be pretty sad if you found yourself in Heaven desperately wanting to communicate with your loved ones back on Earth and realizing you can only manipulate pennies, I mean wow that's fucking depressing. Can't handle the quarters? Can't drop some $20 bills around? I mean your daughter could really use some help with rent this month, just try a $50 bill, see what happens.

Has anyone else heard these stories?

[Image: sagansig_zps6vhbql6m.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes SitaSky's post
06-08-2016, 10:58 PM
RE: Pennies from Heaven
I remember hearing the pennies from heaven as a kid and I didn't pay it any attention. I suppose if it helps people feel better it doesn't really hurt anyone.

A high school classmate of mine lost one of her children when the girl was in her later teens. Every time she sees a rainbow my classmate attributes it to her daughter. She will snap a picture and post it on FB and comment on it. I give her a pass...this helps her feel better in some way. She and her husband (another classmate of mine) lost two of their four children...one as an infant. If it eases her pain I am okay with it. I can't imagine what steps I might have taken to deal with it if the same thing had happened to me.

Do I think she really believes that her daughter is sending those rainbows? I don't know...but, no harm no foul.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 4 users Like Anjele's post
06-08-2016, 11:12 PM
Guess people in heaven are a bunch of cheap asses. You'd think they could spare a little more since the streets are paved with gold.

Dodgy
[+] 5 users Like Dark Wanderer's post
07-08-2016, 02:56 AM
Just as when he was alive, my father's still being a twat. Throw me some twenties, dammit.
[+] 4 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post
07-08-2016, 05:58 AM
I started a little game when I walk my dog around the neighborhood, I see if I can find any money on the ground as I walk around the neighborhood.

I consistently find pennies, dimes and nickels, quarters are less common to find.

I couldn't help but think about how this money got there and I've been able to determine a pattern. People will park their cars in the road by their house, when they get out of the car or into the car they will fumble around in their pocket or purse for their keys and sometimes change will accidentally be pulled out with the keys when they do this and it will fall to the ground.

Some people may not bother to pick up a penny, more people will bother to pick up a dime, nickel or quarter. This will also hold true for kids walking by that spot the money, they will generally be the ones to randomly spot the money and find it, but as so often happens, the higher level coins will get taken. Of course I often find dimes and nickels, but they are often dirty and blend in well with the asphalt. Generally kids aren't going to be scanning the ground for money, so that's when I can grab it before anyone else does. Thumbsup

I guess the only point to this story is that there are specific, mundane reasons for finding money, I do it all of the time since I recognize the pattern of where money falls. (Right where someone would be getting in and out of a car and grabbing their keys)

I just told you my secret, now you can walk along and find money all the time, I've been able to find money on the road a couple of times a week. With 3-4 walks totaling 6-8 miles a week.

But there you go, I analyze the shit out of stuff, I hate attributing things to superstition and I demystify everything.

Though I might be a real ass if someone suggests something supernatural is throwing pennies on the ground, I understand the phenomenon too well. Big Grin

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
[+] 4 users Like TheInquisition's post
07-08-2016, 06:25 AM
There's isn't a stupid idea, theory or story that doesn't find some acceptance from some group that's just dumb enough to believe it...............

Thus is, religion born....

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 3 users Like onlinebiker's post
07-08-2016, 07:39 AM
(06-08-2016 09:38 PM)SitaSky Wrote:  I was reminded today of a co-worker I had who thought whenever she found a penny it was from her dad in Heaven,

Well, I can see how the origins of this may come from the grieving process. When someone dies with whom you had a lot of daily interaction for the preceding years, this person pops into your mind all the time. There are a myriad of triggers every day, actions, sights, sounds, smells etc that are usually connected to the dead person.

So your brain constantly slips into thinking about the departed person. If you are receptive to woo, and sometimes even when you are normally not, it feels like they are there, sometimes you can physically feel their presence. It takes some time for your brain to adjust to the absence of a previously constant presence.

Now if you believe in any kind of woo, you are actually going to miss these "visits" from the person who passed as you finish up the grieving process. So people make shit up as the imminence of this fades - the dead person sends signals like bells ringing or rainbows or - pennies on the ground. It's the last fortress of denial - the person is really still there and watching out for you.

Hence also the after-life in most religions...you don't have to let go all the way....

I bet that is where it has it's origin. A lot of woo has it's origin there.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
07-08-2016, 07:40 AM
If I could only communicate with pennies, I'd try to game the system for more communication.

Like, could I pick up the penny and use it to scratch a message? Could I arrange a bunch of pennies to spell out words? Maybe time the arrival of pennies to utilize Morse code? Place them on a keyboard or a ouiji board to spell out words?

.... the fact is that I thought of all of that within a single minute of reading that. I could probably come up with something far more sophisticated approaches with years of contemplation on the matter in an afterworldly culture in which other ghosts had decades or centuries to ponder the same puzzle. This suggests that if this actually were a supernatural phenomenon attempting to communicate something as described, the pennies would be doing a lot more than showing up.
[+] 4 users Like Reltzik's post
07-08-2016, 07:43 AM
How about those homeless folks that check out the return box on pay phones to see if God left them a quarter?
07-08-2016, 08:53 AM
Pennies from Heaven
So this is why the US won't get rid of the penny

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
[+] 2 users Like ClydeLee's post