Pentagon Report Supports Open Gay Service

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-12-2010, 02:30 PM

Rainbow Pentagon Report Supports Open Gay Service
Submitted by Raymond A. Paultre on December 4, 2010

The fight to repeal Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell (DADT), the policy which prohibits homosexual men and women from serving openly in the Armed Forces of the United States, was aided this week by the release of a Defense Department study concluding that repealing the policy would not hurt the military’s ability to fight. (Source/More)

If you listen closely you can hear John McCain's head implode. Tongue
Quote this message in a reply
04-12-2010, 02:33 PM
RE: Pentagon Report Supports Open Gay Service
McCain is now claiming they didn't ask the troops what they thought. I used to have a lot of respect for McCain but those days are long, long gone. He's become nothing more than a political hack.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
04-12-2010, 02:40 PM

(04-12-2010 02:33 PM)BnW Wrote:  McCain is now claiming they didn't ask the troops what they thought. I used to have a lot of respect for McCain but those days are long, long gone. He's become nothing more than a political hack.
I watched some of the proceedings on CSPAN while the Senate reviewed this report the other day, (LINK) And to hear them discuss all the key points of concern in this report, one would think they were discussing whether or not to allow gays into the military. As opposed to the issue itself, wherein Gays are already in service but forced to hide their presence.

It was shocking and I couldn't help but understand how the rest of the world looks at this, at us, and stand to think how bass ackwards our priorities are. We train civilians to become professional soldiers. Professional killers. And yet the rank and file can't bear the thought of fellow soldiers sex lives, when diametrically opposed to heterosexuality. As if that and that alone can distract a professional soldier from their duties, because it's of paramount concern for everyone to believe everyone in the ranks are sexually active in the same way.

McCain is out of his mind. He's an embarrassment to the Senate but I'll lay odds serve till he dies, because he doesn't have the good sense to retire. And unfortunately the electorate in his district don't have the good sense to vote him out.
04-12-2010, 02:46 PM
Quote:And yet the rank and file can't bear the thought of fellow soldiers sex lives, when diametrically opposed to heterosexuality.

Actually, I think the report conclusions were that a majority of the rank and file can bear the thought of serving with gays. Even the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs is saying we should drop this already. The people holding it up are in Congress, not the military.

04-12-2010, 03:07 PM

(04-12-2010 02:46 PM)BnW Wrote:  
Quote:And yet the rank and file can't bear the thought of fellow soldiers sex lives, when diametrically opposed to heterosexuality.

Actually, I think the report conclusions were that a majority of the rank and file can bear the thought of serving with gays. Even the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs is saying we should drop this already. The people holding it up are in Congress, not the military.
Not necessarily.
Repeal of 'Don't Ask, Don't Tell' Unclear After Brass Asks Senate for Time
Prospects for Senate repeal of the ban on gays in the military appear uncertain after three of the four military service chiefs testified Friday that repeal would harm combat effectiveness -- unless they were allowed time to implement the change.
05-12-2010, 08:41 AM
Ok, I had missed that. My bad. I guess old prejudices do die hard for some people.

What I don't understand is that this report, at least from what has been reported, has said this is not going to be a huge problem, so why all the hand wringing?

20 years from now people are going to look over all the angst over this issue, see that it was an almost non-event, and ask "What the heck was wrong with you people?".

05-12-2010, 09:27 AM

(05-12-2010 08:41 AM)BnW Wrote:  Ok, I had missed that. My bad. I guess old prejudices do die hard for some people.

What I don't understand is that this report, at least from what has been reported, has said this is not going to be a huge problem, so why all the hand wringing?

20 years from now people are going to look over all the angst over this issue, see that it was an almost non-event, and ask "What the heck was wrong with you people?".

It's not going to take 20 years for folks to say that.Tongue
It just strikes me so odd that in the world where zealots strap explosives to women, children, just to kill an infidel target not worrying about the collateral damage afforded in slaughtering their own people, that Americans on fixed incomes are right now weighing priorities between eating, freezing and living without their medication till the next SS check, that our Congress is in a wide eyed panic as to whether or not adult professional soldiers can handle knowing there are gays in the world. Not that they don't know that, but that those gay soldiers, who fight and die and have since the inception of this nation, are finally able to be free to be gay citizens, while all this time they've been fighting for everyone else's freedom as their own is prosecuted if it dares say a word, is obscene to me.

McCain is an all out homophobic ass. His ilk would have this nation devolve to the 1600's , if they could but take a vote on it. And all the while, as he exhibits that twisted backwards bigot demeanor, his reward is re-election.

What the hell's wrong with these people! Wink
05-12-2010, 10:41 AM
Quote:McCain is an all out homophobic ass. His ilk would have this nation devolve to the 1600's , if they could but take a vote on it. And all the while, as he exhibits that twisted backwards bigot demeanor, his reward is re-election.

Actually, I'd have more respect for McCain if he was what you say he is. I wouldn't agree with it, but I can have some respect for a person who takes a position based on their convictions, regardless of how misguided their convictions may be.

McCain is just an opportunist who moved right when his tenure in the Senate was in jeopardy last election and is now trying to pain himself as something he previously was not. He's the worst type of hypocrite: a politician.

05-12-2010, 10:46 AM

http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/thu-de...alypse-now

McCain has no credibility at all. He may not be homophobic but he is just pandering to his homophobic base right now.
05-12-2010, 12:21 PM

(05-12-2010 10:41 AM)BnW Wrote:  
Quote:McCain is an all out homophobic ass. His ilk would have this nation devolve to the 1600's , if they could but take a vote on it. And all the while, as he exhibits that twisted backwards bigot demeanor, his reward is re-election.

Actually, I'd have more respect for McCain if he was what you say he is. I wouldn't agree with it, but I can have some respect for a person who takes a position based on their convictions, regardless of how misguided their convictions may be.

McCain is just an opportunist who moved right when his tenure in the Senate was in jeopardy last election and is now trying to pain himself as something he previously was not. He's the worst type of hypocrite: a politician.
"Why is Chelsea Clinton so ugly? Because her father is Janet Reno." John McCain 1998

I think for McCain to be termed a hypocrite with regard to the present issue of repeal of DADT, he would have had to be in favor of repeal at some point and then, turned when the tide of his tenure was in the jeopardy you said it was at midterms.

However, the exit polls said otherwise as McCain beat much younger JD Hayworth in a 2-1 blowout. Not to mention the enormous fortune McCain spent in trouncing Hayworth as an informercial huckster.

So not that he's secure as an incumbent during this lame duck session, his attitudes toward repeal of DADT certainly paint him more as a homophobe, by definition, than as a politician who respects the Constitution and as such, supports repeal of DADT.

Instead of finding any weasel excuse to keep things as is, if he was true to the will of the people he'd stop behaving as a homophobe who believes unlawful discrimination now under DADT, whereas before and during his term as Senator, gays were literally hunted in the military and discriminated against making DADT for their own sakes an unspoken policy among their own, for fear of the reprisals that were an ever present threat, is superior to allowing the service personnel he should respect to openly serve as fellow Americans.

As opposed to what he implies is paramount to their profile; their sex life.
John McCain is demonstrating his values, and they're reprehensible and unworthy of respect.

In addition to my concerns about what questions were not asked by this survey and considered in this report, I'm troubled by the fact that this report only represents the input of 28 percent of the force who received the questionnaire, including completely leaving out a numerous members of the military in combat areas. That's only six percent of the force at large. I find it hard to view that as a fully representative sample set." John McCain comment regarding DoD DADT survey