People are evil

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-07-2012, 03:15 PM
People are evil
This is what really gets me about religion:

People are born evil. They are born sinners, and they already have sin in their heart when they are born.

Only redemption by adhering to religious rules can save them from certain hell.

This is the most ridiculous bulls#it of all times.

You tell a kid that it is an evil sinner - tell them every day - are they going to grow up to live at their full potential?

No, they are going to have issues with self respect and self loathing.

Then you end up with self flagellation and all that, monks and nuns starving and imposing silence on themselves and what have you.

I still haven't figured out what all evil everyone does within a week to warrant confessions.

I think the premise that all humans are born bad is the worst thing any church can ever bestow on people. It's disgusting. It's destructive. It's designed to make blind slaves out of people who try to escape their internal evil.

This is the part of religion that angers me most.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 7 users Like Dom's post
06-07-2012, 03:24 PM
RE: People are evil
(06-07-2012 03:15 PM)Dom Wrote:  This is what really gets me about religion:

People are born evil. They are born sinners, and they already have sin in their heart when they are born.

Only redemption by adhering to religious rules can save them from certain hell.

This is the most ridiculous bulls#it of all times.

You tell a kid that it is an evil sinner - tell them every day - are they going to grow up to live at their full potential?

Then you end up with self flagellation and all that, monks and nuns starving and imposing silence on themselves and what have you.

I still haven't figured out what all evil everyone does within a week to warrant confessions.

I think the premise that all humans are born bad is the worst thing any church can ever bestow on people. It's disgusting. It's destructive. It's designed to make blind slaves out of people who try to escape their internal evil.

This is the part of religion that angers me most.
Yeah, could make some young people think..............."why the Hell why not go for broke in this ridiculous world" Rolleyes
[+] 3 users Like Mr Woof's post
06-07-2012, 10:50 PM
When I was 6 I was told I was such a terrible sinner that I needed to ask Jesus into my heart so I wouldn't have to go to Hell.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
07-07-2012, 04:02 AM
........ is Evil.
Evil is a sin.
Sins are forgiven.
So get stuck in Smile

I wouldnt mind religions so much if they didnt indoctrinate with guilt.

You're never going to say the things you want to say.
The things you want to change will usually stay that way
The promises you break outweigh the ones you keep.
Paint upon the wall for the hundredth time.

Jesus Jones
[+] 2 users Like bemore's post
07-07-2012, 07:20 AM
(07-07-2012 04:02 AM)bemore Wrote:  ........ is Evil.
Evil is a sin.
Sins are forgiven.
So get stuck in Smile

I wouldnt mind religions so much if they didnt indoctrinate with guilt.
A good friend of mine posted a picture on fb yesterday:

"I have messed up so many times and it's so horrible. But his mercy never stops." with a picture of some dude crying. I thought.... "Are you shitting me? Why should you feel BAD to be who you are?" but I think it's more coping mechanism than anything.

I can fuck up but someone will still love me. Life can be hard but someone still gives a shit. Things are hard right now but he has a plan it's going to be ok. Death is scary but he's waiting for me so it'll be ok.

If you've got an out for every possible situation that comforts you, things aren't "so hard."
[+] 1 user Likes Logisch's post
08-07-2012, 04:56 AM
(06-07-2012 03:15 PM)Dom Wrote:  You tell a kid that it is an evil sinner - tell them every day - are they going to grow up to live at their full potential?

That's it right there. That's when and how the "convincing" starts hardcore... it's reinforced by letting the kid reinforce it in himself. And that's just about the sickest thing.

It's completely diabolical.

I think in the end, I just feel like I'm a secular person who has a skeptical eye toward any extraordinary claim, carefully examining any extraordinary evidence before jumping to conclusions. ~ Eric ~ My friend ... who figured it out.
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post
14-07-2012, 06:11 PM
We're created sick and ordered to be well under penalty of everlasting punishment.

Such a merciful gawd /sarc
[+] 1 user Likes BryanS's post
18-07-2012, 08:25 PM
I seriously don't understand what evil lurks within us.

I used to not be able to think of any sins I committed from one week to the next when I went to confession as a kid. So I made things up - I guess that is the evil, I lied at confession. Smile

That was likely a big factor in my departure from the faith at age 10. I was really tired of making up sins. Sneeking a cookie just didn't seem to fall under the category of evil to me.

I need to ask my very catholic aunt sometimes what she confesses. But I guess that is crossing a line and she will get mad at me. I can't possibly imagine what the 85 year old lady would be sinning with. Is she stealing apples and seducing men with them? Does she covet her neighbor's husband? She goes to confession weekly, and then to communion. She couldn't possible eat the body of Christ without having confessed first, that would be a sin. But what to confess? She barely leaves the house to go grocery shopping.

It can't be all dirty thoughts or actions that make you evil cause kids don't have these.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
18-07-2012, 09:15 PM
The notion of sin was never taught to me, but when I became exposed to the church it was alien and depressing to me.

I'm dirty, unclean, unworthy, bad, etc, and that to even know god I was lucky. I was confused with the idea and never understood a bit of it. After all I took baths, and knew of god, and I didn't feel like a bad person.

Now that I'm older, I'm glad I was a loner buried in my science books, and playing with my ninja turtles. I might have accidentally escaped indoctrination by my feelings of isolation.

Member of the Cult of Reason

The atheist is a man who destroys the imaginary things which afflict the human race, and so leads men back to nature, to experience and to reason.
-Baron d'Holbach-
Bitcion:1DNeQMswMdvx4xLPP6qNE7RkeTwXGC7Bzp
20-07-2012, 12:17 AM
You MUST watch this new episode of Morgan Freeman's: Through the Wormhole. It's called "Can We Eliminate Evil?", and I just watched it today. It was very insightful on the biology and psychology of "Evil". It's backed up with scientific evidence and experiments as well, and who can't resist the voice of Morgan Freeman? Haha!
[+] 1 user Likes khaos's post

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  The empty and not empty people Luminon 22 329 20-07-2014 02:06 PM
Last Post: Chas
Exclamation Counters to "RELIGIONS/SPIRITUALITY HELPS PEOPLE. DOESN'T MATTER IF IT'S NOT TRUE." PoolBoyG 7 108 08-05-2014 07:09 PM
Last Post: rampant.a.i.
  Hey Girly (and other People's Republic of Marylanders) Revenant77x 11 310 24-02-2014 11:58 AM
Last Post: WitchSabrina
  Other people's morals, not your morals. Adrianime 29 644 15-01-2014 02:38 PM
Last Post: Adrianime
  Why do people in extreme poverty reproduce? JesusLovesYou69 27 6,177 21-12-2013 08:53 AM
Last Post: Peterkin
  Homophobia and straight people BrokenQuill92 18 722 11-12-2013 10:18 PM
Last Post: WillHopp
  Tinitus, watch your ears people ELK12695 16 1,168 20-10-2013 04:34 PM
Last Post: black_squirrel