People of no religion outnumber Christians in England & Wales

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-05-2016, 01:08 AM
People of no religion outnumber Christians in England & Wales
Study by Catholic university shows rapid decline in Christianity.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/ma...WEML6619I2

New recruits to the various churches are coming from other churches. They're essentially playing musical chairs on a sinking ship.

The invisible and the non-existent look very much alike
Excreta Tauri Sapientam Fulgeat (The excrement of the bull causes wisdom to flee)
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Silly Deity's post
24-05-2016, 02:13 AM
RE: People of no religion outnumber Christians in England & Wales
(24-05-2016 01:08 AM)Silly Deity Wrote:  Study by Catholic university shows rapid decline in Christianity.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/ma...WEML6619I2

New recruits to the various churches are coming from other churches. They're essentially playing musical chairs on a sinking ship.

so lets donate some good music to the churches while they play musical chairs

the church loses 10 peoples for every 1 person they recruit, sounds to me like we need to help them recruit YesSmartassEvil_monster
[+] 3 users Like Ace's post
24-05-2016, 09:21 AM
As I point out on the AtheismUK Forum, I think this is a bit misleading....
http://www.atheismuk.com/forum/?minglefo...ostid-9436
[+] 1 user Likes Zeff's post
24-05-2016, 09:32 AM
Thank God!
24-05-2016, 09:35 AM
This reminds me of my favorite cheesy British joke.
"Sir, the enemy have us surrounded"
"Excellent! We can attack in any direction!"
31-05-2016, 03:29 AM
More on this in the Spectator Magazine

Interesting comments contained within the article:

Say ‘religious’ to many Britons and the next word that pops into their heads is ‘extremist’, or perhaps ‘bigot’ or ‘homophobe’. To the growing population of secularists, religion has become something to be treated with suspicion. Politicians who are religious find their faith used against them. Iain Duncan Smith’s Department of Work and Pensions was known by his critics as the Department of Worship and Prayer, the joke being that his reforms were inspired by a desire to save lives rather than money. In government, to be a Christian can be seen as a personal failing. The ambitious minister keeps his or her faith under wraps. It is unthinkable now that a Prime Minister would do as Mrs Thatcher did on arrival in Downing Street 37 years ago, and quote St Francis of Assisi.

Christians, for their part, should not automatically associate a decline in religiosity with a rise in immorality. On the contrary, Britons are midway through an extraordinary period of social repair: a decline in teenage pregnancies, divorce and drug abuse, and a rise in civic-mindedness.

The invisible and the non-existent look very much alike
Excreta Tauri Sapientam Fulgeat (The excrement of the bull causes wisdom to flee)
[+] 5 users Like Silly Deity's post
01-06-2016, 08:40 AM
My parents were English and my father told me that the term "Church of England" was just something you said when asked by a person in authority what your religion was. None of family or extended family are or were "religious". No one ever spoke about it and only a few ever went to church other than for ceremonies which were more "customs" than religious events, ie., weddings and christenings. Unlike the USA its born again evangelism, Billy Graham et al. I think the US is in some kind of time warp because Europeans are far more blase (indifferent) to religion than the people I grew up with. You never see, in Europe, the likes of Oral Roberts and his ilk ranting in front of stadiums full of gullibles wanting to be cured of palsy, dropsy or whatever else afflicts them.