People think it's real? This can't be real!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-01-2013, 09:36 PM
Shocked People think it's real? This can't be real!
Ok so maybe I'm naive or I missed something, but I've always thought that belief/faith is only a mental concept, and I was completely fine with this, as I assumed that religion is just a cultural construct that shows one of many ways to cope with reality, which can sound threatening and fearful at times. Not all are gifted with imagination and creativity, so something pre-made might be just right for them, either to stick to it or to develop in some direction from there. My decision not to be a part of this was mainly because I don't need a pre-made concept, I can come up with my own.

Yet, what I thought to be a matter of some extremist nuts, it turned out to be the vast majority: Claiming the existence of a god as a matter of fact, an objective, a reality outside of the heads and thoughts. I realized this when watching some episodes of "The Atheist Experience" and it kinda shocked me. Believe it or not, I really didn't know that before. Is it really this way?

"Some part of our being knows this is where we came from. We long to return, and we can, because the cosmos is also within us. We're made of star stuff. We are a way for the cosmos to know itself." (Carl Sagan)
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like pxlgirl's post
30-01-2013, 09:43 PM
RE: People think it's real? This can't be real!
(30-01-2013 09:36 PM)pxlgirl Wrote:  Yet, what I thought to be a matter of some extremist nuts, it turned out to be the vast majority: Claiming the existence of a god as a matter of fact, an objective, a reality outside of the heads and thoughts. I realized this when watching some episodes of "The Atheist Experience" and it kinda shocked me. Believe it or not, I really didn't know that before. Is it really this way?
As a younger man, I might not have been convinced of your astonishment at the depths of faith held by so many in our society - that's because I was raised a Christian. However, my Atheist wife once told me about the same thing you just said and she was just as just as astonished at yourself when she found out (she was raised an Atheist).

So...my answer to you is "YES...you got it right - you are not imagining things."

Reality is stranger than fiction, huh?

I hope this helps.
Find all posts by this user
30-01-2013, 09:43 PM
(30-01-2013 09:36 PM)pxlgirl Wrote:  Ok so maybe I'm naive or I missed something, but I've always thought that belief/faith is only a mental concept, and I was completely fine with this, as I assumed that religion is just a cultural construct that shows one of many ways to cope with reality, which can sound threatening and fearful at times. Not all are gifted with imagination and creativity, so something pre-made might be just right for them, either to stick to it or to develop in some direction from there. My decision not to be a part of this was mainly because I don't need a pre-made concept, I can come up with my own.

Yet, what I thought to be a matter of some extremist nuts, it turned out to be the vast majority: Claiming the existence of a god as a matter of fact, an objective, a reality outside of the heads and thoughts. I realized this when watching some episodes of "The Atheist Experience" and it kinda shocked me. Believe it or not, I really didn't know that before. Is it really this way?
Yep, as delusions tend to go, people believe it exists just like anything else that obviously exists. To some, god is as real as the internet we use to host and connect to this forum.

I've found that with some people, suggesting that god doesn't exist is like suggesting that that person doesn't exist, which is insane. It's crazy how brainwashed some people are, they can't imagine life without god because the idea of god is so deeply ingrained in their brain.

2.5 billion seconds total
1.67 billion seconds conscious

30-01-2013, 09:51 PM
God as real as the internet? Well, this analogy might work well for those who don't know much about computers, it does seem abstract and sort of "untouchable", I don't know how else to explain, but I hope you know what I mean. So... let me get this straight: If we replace "internet" with lets say... the tea cup on my desk, does this still apply to god being "real"?

"Some part of our being knows this is where we came from. We long to return, and we can, because the cosmos is also within us. We're made of star stuff. We are a way for the cosmos to know itself." (Carl Sagan)
30-01-2013, 09:52 PM (This post was last modified: 30-01-2013 09:56 PM by fstratzero.)
(30-01-2013 09:43 PM)Aspchizo Wrote:  
(30-01-2013 09:36 PM)pxlgirl Wrote:  Ok so maybe I'm naive or I missed something, but I've always thought that belief/faith is only a mental concept, and I was completely fine with this, as I assumed that religion is just a cultural construct that shows one of many ways to cope with reality, which can sound threatening and fearful at times. Not all are gifted with imagination and creativity, so something pre-made might be just right for them, either to stick to it or to develop in some direction from there. My decision not to be a part of this was mainly because I don't need a pre-made concept, I can come up with my own.

Yep, as delusions tend to go, people believe it exists just like anything else that obviously exists. To some, god is as real as the internet we use to host and connect to this forum.

I've found that with some people, suggesting that god doesn't exist is like suggesting that that person doesn't exist, which is insane. It's crazy how brainwashed some people are, they can't imagine life without god because the idea of god is so deeply ingrained in their brain.
My mother has an intense reaction to the idea god doesn't exist. She feels physically sick when I mention it. She's stated that the idea of a life with out god makes her feel intense anxiety, and couldn't imagine her life with out belief. She seems incapable of understanding how I get on through life with out him. After many talks with her, she seems to get it intellectually but not emotionally. For her that belief will stay with her until her death.

I think when you are raised with it, use it everyday for half a century it becomes that much more harder to dislodge it from your own brain. When you also think that everybody that has died that you ever loved will live forever and you will be with them forever, a great investment was made. When god has carried you through the bad times, and you life meant the greatest possible thing to a perfect being, it becomes even harder to let that god go.

When you try to come to grips with what life with out god means, there are emotions that haven't been dealt with that start to boil over and some people just cannot bear it.

Member of the Cult of Reason

The atheist is a man who destroys the imaginary things which afflict the human race, and so leads men back to nature, to experience and to reason.
-Baron d'Holbach-
Bitcion:1DNeQMswMdvx4xLPP6qNE7RkeTwXGC7Bzp
[+] 3 users Like fstratzero's post
30-01-2013, 09:58 PM (This post was last modified: 30-01-2013 10:10 PM by Stan.)
(30-01-2013 09:51 PM)pxlgirl Wrote:  God as real as the internet? Well, this analogy might work well for those who don't know much about computers, it does seem abstract and sort of "untouchable", I don't know how else to explain, but I hope you know what I mean. So... let me get this straight: If we replace "internet" with lets say... the tea cup on my desk, does this still apply to god being "real"?

Yes of course it does.

On a different issue, you say in your post

"Not all are gifted with imagination and creativity, so something pre-made might be just right for them, either to stick to it or to develop in some direction from there. My decision not to be a part of this was mainly because I don't need a pre-made concept, I can come up with my own. "

This makes you sound like someone very young that believes that coming up a "concept" of your own is more valid than pre existing "concept". This simply isn't true and if we had to come up with our own concepts on most things we encounter in life we would be little better than chimpanzees that only learn by being taught/shown something by an other chimp.

Original thought is to blame for the crazy ideas out there in society as much as the brilliant ones, and throwing away ideas or stuff that other humans have learnt because it doesn't originate from you isn't wise.

Throw ideas or practices away because they are proven to be wrong, or not proven to be true not because it doesn't come from you or otherwise meet your approval.

[Image: XJlTk.jpg]
30-01-2013, 10:07 PM
(30-01-2013 09:51 PM)pxlgirl Wrote:  God as real as the internet? Well, this analogy might work well for those who don't know much about computers, it does seem abstract and sort of "untouchable", I don't know how else to explain, but I hope you know what I mean. So... let me get this straight: If we replace "internet" with lets say... the tea cup on my desk, does this still apply to god being "real"?
As real as a teacup on your desk, yep.

(30-01-2013 09:52 PM)fstratzero Wrote:  
(30-01-2013 09:43 PM)Aspchizo Wrote:  Yep, as delusions tend to go, people believe it exists just like anything else that obviously exists. To some, god is as real as the internet we use to host and connect to this forum.

My mother has an intense reaction to the idea god doesn't exist. She feels physically sick when I mention it. She's stated that the idea of a life with out god makes her feel intense anxiety, and couldn't imagine her life with out belief. She seems incapable of understanding how I get on through life with out him. After many talks with her, she seems to get it intellectually but not emotionally. For her that belief will stay with her until her death.

I think when you are raised with it, use it everyday for half a century it becomes that much more harder to dislodge it from your own brain. When you also think that everybody that has died that you ever loved will live forever and you will be with them forever, a great investment was made. When god has carried you through the bad times, and you life meant the greatest possible thing to a perfect being, it becomes even harder to let that god go.

When you try to come to grips with what life with out god means, there are emotions that haven't been dealt with that start to boil over and some people just cannot bear it.
Interesting, thanks for the share.

Also, a lot of people use their belief in god and/or heaven to help them get over loss like dying relatives. Once you used heaven to make sense of the deaths of people you loved, questioning heaven brings with it some complications...

The more experience the person has to connect them to a belief the more likely they are to never give it up.

2.5 billion seconds total
1.67 billion seconds conscious

[+] 1 user Likes Adenosis's post
30-01-2013, 10:14 PM
(30-01-2013 10:07 PM)Aspchizo Wrote:  
As real as a teacup on your desk, yep.

(30-01-2013 09:52 PM)fstratzero Wrote:  My mother has an intense reaction to the idea god doesn't exist. She feels physically sick when I mention it. She's stated that the idea of a life with out god makes her feel intense anxiety, and couldn't imagine her life with out belief. She seems incapable of understanding how I get on through life with out him. After many talks with her, she seems to get it intellectually but not emotionally. For her that belief will stay with her until her death.

Interesting, thanks for the share.

Also, a lot of people use their belief in god and/or heaven to help them get over loss like dying relatives. Once you used heaven to make sense of the deaths of people you loved, questioning heaven brings with it some complications...

The more experience the person has to connect them to a belief the more likely they are to never give it up.
It's incredibly sad to know what some people want the most, to see their loved ones again. Will not happen outside of their own imaginations. Often for the older people that prospect is the one that keeps them clinging to their beliefs, along side the promise they'll have new eternal bodies.

Member of the Cult of Reason

The atheist is a man who destroys the imaginary things which afflict the human race, and so leads men back to nature, to experience and to reason.
-Baron d'Holbach-
Bitcion:1DNeQMswMdvx4xLPP6qNE7RkeTwXGC7Bzp
[+] 2 users Like fstratzero's post
30-01-2013, 10:21 PM
I didn't mean to judge on which concept is better or worse. A pre-made concept comes handy for some, and what I meant by "my own" concept is simply my own imagination/fantasy world, to which not everybody would relate to, but I would have never stated this as real as the tea cup on my desk.
My mistake was obviously to assume that everybody (apart from some "extremists") can draw the line between reality and fiction. But if that doesn't happen, things become a bit unhealthy, regardless if you use your own, or some pre-made concept.

[+] 1 user Likes pxlgirl's post
30-01-2013, 10:29 PM
(30-01-2013 10:21 PM)pxlgirl Wrote:  I didn't mean to judge on which concept is better or worse. A pre-made concept comes handy for some, and what I meant by "my own" concept is simply my own imagination/fantasy world, to which not everybody would relate to, but I would have never stated this as real as the tea cup on my desk.
My mistake was obviously to assume that everybody (apart from some "extremists") can draw the line between reality and fiction. But if that doesn't happen, things become a bit unhealthy, regardless if you use your own, or some pre-made concept.
To assume makes an ass of you and me.

[Image: XJlTk.jpg]