People think it's real? This can't be real!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
31-01-2013, 06:05 PM
RE: People think it's real? This can't be real!
(31-01-2013 03:52 PM)PleaseJesus Wrote:  Good point. We see patterns. Jesus knows this and wrote the Bible using patterns and codes in patterns. Thanks for another reason to trust Him!

Now, perhaps, answer these two questions:

Can anyone name another delusion that the vast majority of people persist with in belief despite the evidence against it for centuries? And if man is that delusional as a whole, can anyone trust anyone's statement on anything?
For a long time the majority of people in Europe believed that sickness and disease was a result of an imbalance in the four humours: Blood, Yellow Bile, Black Bile and Phlegm. As a result blood letting was considered a treatment for most diseases.

We now know it was complete bollocks.

Further, it is incorrect to say the vast majority of people believe anything. There are a lot of Christians, a lot of Muslims, a lot of Hindus and Sikhs and Buddhists and Atheists. None of them are the vast majority of the worlds population. Not that being in the majority means anything - the ad populum type of argument is a logical fallacy.

Since man is so easily mistaken we can only rely on empirical evidence and the scientific method to work out anything about the universe. And when new evidence arises to contradict our understanding we must be prepared to change that understanding, otherwise we will never really know anything.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like hedgehog648's post
31-01-2013, 06:09 PM
(31-01-2013 03:52 PM)PleaseJesus Wrote:  Can anyone name another delusion that the vast majority of people persist with in belief despite the evidence against it for centuries?
Lets see a delusion a christian can agree with.....

How about witches, ghosts, demons, and spirits?

Member of the Cult of Reason

The atheist is a man who destroys the imaginary things which afflict the human race, and so leads men back to nature, to experience and to reason.
-Baron d'Holbach-
Bitcion:1DNeQMswMdvx4xLPP6qNE7RkeTwXGC7Bzp
31-01-2013, 06:18 PM
(31-01-2013 03:52 PM)PleaseJesus Wrote:  Good point. We see patterns. Jesus knows this and wrote the Bible using patterns and codes in patterns. Thanks for another reason to trust Him!
And here we have yet another Christian who knows jack shit about his own scripture. Drinking Beverage

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
[+] 4 users Like Vosur's post
31-01-2013, 06:24 PM
Educate yourself. Here is a video for you.

Member of the Cult of Reason

The atheist is a man who destroys the imaginary things which afflict the human race, and so leads men back to nature, to experience and to reason.
-Baron d'Holbach-
Bitcion:1DNeQMswMdvx4xLPP6qNE7RkeTwXGC7Bzp
[+] 2 users Like fstratzero's post
31-01-2013, 07:40 PM
(31-01-2013 02:53 PM)PleaseJesus Wrote:  Very thoughtful and intelligent response. Thank you.

My counter:

97% of people didn't believe in witchcraft or dragons in the ancient world. You can find texts from many eras debunking such superstition. And 97% of people don't believe in ghosts. Witness the ratings of current ghost hunter programs. Smile
97% percent of people don't believe in god either. Or gods. Don't count the Buddhists, no god there. That's about 6-8% of the world's population.

For that matter, don't count atheists and those with "no religious affiliation" who by some estimates add up to as much as 16% of the world's population.

Adding those two together, I get 22-24% of the world right there not believing in god(s). I bet some of those other things I mentioned had numbers in that same ballpark.

"Whores perform the same function as priests, but far more thoroughly." - Robert A. Heinlein
31-01-2013, 09:18 PM (This post was last modified: 31-01-2013 09:24 PM by pxlgirl.)
(31-01-2013 01:31 PM)PleaseJesus Wrote:  Can anyone name another delusion that the vast majority of people persist with in belief
despite the evidence against it for centuries? And if man is that delusional as a whole, can anyone trust anyone's statement on anything?

Adding fairies to the list... To my own surprise, there are people who believe in them (read: claim they are real). And we both would agree on that it's nonsense, correct? Now, god and fairies have something in common, they are both invisible and both require belief. Assuming I was a believer, I'd wonder how come that one is more real than the other? Why would god be better than a fairy? Lets face it: Fairies are cute, they can fly, they are kind, creative, don't exploit nature, don't harm people and they don't even ask for any kind of worship. And we might have a never-ending debate over "my imaginations is bigger than yours".

Oh and one more thing regarding statistics. Numbers (apart form the credibility of them) do not make things better, healthier and truer. Lets say, a statistic says that 70% of people eat mainly junk food. Yes, a hamburger is yummy, but it's still unhealthy if eaten in too many amounts. Wink

"Some part of our being knows this is where we came from. We long to return, and we can, because the cosmos is also within us. We're made of star stuff. We are a way for the cosmos to know itself." (Carl Sagan)
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes pxlgirl's post
31-01-2013, 09:53 PM
(31-01-2013 09:18 PM)pxlgirl Wrote:  
(31-01-2013 01:31 PM)PleaseJesus Wrote:  Can anyone name another delusion that the vast majority of people persist with in belief
despite the evidence against it for centuries? And if man is that delusional as a whole, can anyone trust anyone's statement on anything?

Lets face it: Fairies are cute, they can fly, they are kind, creative, don't exploit nature, don't harm people and they don't even ask for any kind of worship.

I can't say I mind the idea of a bunch of tiny, green-tinted naked chicks flying and frolicking around my bushes and trees. Maybe I'd make friends with them and set up a little bird-bath on the patio so I can sit in a lawn chair and watch them splash and play and rub all over each other in the water...

[Image: do-want.jpg]

Through profound pain comes profound knowledge.
Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto! Ridi del duol, che t'avvelena il cor!
31-01-2013, 11:51 PM
(31-01-2013 03:31 PM)PleaseJesus Wrote:  The people of the Earth. You can stretch your statistics but we're missing the point. I'll help you and say that 30% of mankind through all history unto today are Atheists, okay?
What other delusion have 70% of people ascribed to for millennia in the face of the evidence? And if there is all that evidence, how can we trust anyone, when man is overwhelmingly deluded?

This is actually a pretty good question, and it's a reason why most of us atheists are skeptical. Our brains simply don't work like we expect them to -- we fall prey to optical and audio illusions, bias, and laziness when it comes to interpreting evidence. So yes, man is overwhelmingly deluded, and many of the ideas that man comes up with will be wrong. Consider the topic of religion. Even though you believe that yours is correct, what percentage of world religions are right? Yours would make up a percent of a percent. So why are you so sure about your own? I imagine it's for the same reason that all those who believe the "wrong" religions are so sure -- delusion.

My girlfriend is mad at me. Perhaps I shouldn't have tried cooking a stick in her non-stick pan.
01-02-2013, 12:09 AM
(31-01-2013 09:53 PM)Misanthropik Wrote:  I can't say I mind the idea of a bunch of tiny, green-tinted naked chicks flying and frolicking around my bushes and trees. (...)

Me neither... me neither Drooling

"Some part of our being knows this is where we came from. We long to return, and we can, because the cosmos is also within us. We're made of star stuff. We are a way for the cosmos to know itself." (Carl Sagan)
[+] 1 user Likes pxlgirl's post
01-02-2013, 02:47 AM
(30-01-2013 09:36 PM)pxlgirl Wrote:  Ok so maybe I'm naive or I missed something, but I've always thought that belief/faith is only a mental concept, and I was completely fine with this, as I assumed that religion is just a cultural construct that shows one of many ways to cope with reality, which can sound threatening and fearful at times. Not all are gifted with imagination and creativity, so something pre-made might be just right for them, either to stick to it or to develop in some direction from there. My decision not to be a part of this was mainly because I don't need a pre-made concept, I can come up with my own.

Yet, what I thought to be a matter of some extremist nuts, it turned out to be the vast majority: Claiming the existence of a god as a matter of fact, an objective, a reality outside of the heads and thoughts. I realized this when watching some episodes of "The Atheist Experience" and it kinda shocked me. Believe it or not, I really didn't know that before. Is it really this way?

I was just as shocked when I found out that creationists still existed. I thought they were some ignorant 1970's fad that died out in the early 80's. I hadn't heard anything about them for 30 years, then I peek my head into an atheist forum and BAM, there they are spouting nonsense.

I was indeed quite shocked

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results