People who constantly have to mention god or jesus.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-12-2016, 03:10 PM
People who constantly have to mention god or jesus.
Can someone explain why they aren't viewed as cuckoo/brainwashed/maybe a touch crazy?

You know the type, constantly thinking god for such and such, praising jesus, proclaiming miracles by jesus if someone survives a car accident, posting things like this on FB: "Thanks for the reminder to slow down and truly experience how God's mercies are new every morning!"

ALWAYS mentioning jesus.

I have never understood why this is socially acceptable and not viewed as really, really odd. Perhaps it is in other countries...

Substitute the word satan, and people would be up in arms trying to get the person removed from society.

"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu."

[Image: parodia-michal-aniol-flying-spaghetti-monster.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes ShadowProject's post
12-12-2016, 03:25 PM
RE: People who constantly have to mention god or jesus.
Thank god I don't have a FB account! Big Grin I do see some of that around; it is pretty common. Since I don't go to church except for marryin' and buryin' anymore, I hear a ton less of it. One friend of my wife's is always going on like that, but fortunately she doesn't come around me much.
12-12-2016, 03:53 PM
(12-12-2016 03:10 PM)ShadowProject Wrote:  Substitute the word satan, and people would be up in arms trying to get the person removed from society.
I think it's because Satan has a harmful connotation whereas God and Jesus don't typically. It means we atheists have our work to do...

I am not accountable to any God. I am accountable to myself - and not because I think I am God as some theists would try to assert - but because, no matter what actions I take, thoughts I think, or words I utter, I have to be able to live with myself.
12-12-2016, 04:01 PM
I've been accused of always having to mention that I'm an atheist (actually, I'm careful not to do so unless invited to church or some similar type of interaction), and they always suggest that we're just "so strident" (read: angry) about it.

Usually, it's from someone who has found a way to slip Jesus/Christianity into almost literally every hour of conversation they've had with me. Dodgy

If it wasn't for double standards, we wouldn't have any.

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 2 users Like RocketSurgeon76's post
12-12-2016, 04:14 PM
Mentioning a god in conversation in Australia makes the speaker appear foolish.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 7 users Like Banjo's post
12-12-2016, 04:31 PM
(12-12-2016 03:10 PM)ShadowProject Wrote:  I have never understood why this is socially acceptable and not viewed as really, really odd. Perhaps it is in other countries...
Here, it would be odd if someone was casually mentioning Jesus all the time, but I hear that in some of the other countries it is common place.
12-12-2016, 06:30 PM
I haven't come across it much in public in Canada, even when I was a practicing catholic, and certainly NOT in Quebec.
I was always taught that it was impolite to discuss religion, politics or sex in anything but a close family setting (certainly never at work)

Quebec is probably one of the most secular places on Earth: poking fun at the pope and any kind of religious authority is a weekly staple of Radio-Canada's comedy shows (the Francophone CBC, equivalent of NPR or the BBC). La laicité (secularism) is taken very seriously by all government parties.

The closest I ever came to a RL public acknowledgement of faith (aside from the odd JW) was when a friend mentioned he went to a church and invited my husband and I to attend an event there. We politely declined and that was that. We're still friends and he never mentioned it again.
On FB however, one particular friend of my mom's could be pretty bad Sad

Your faith is not evidence, your opinion is not fact, and your bias is not wisdom
12-12-2016, 07:22 PM
They're just doing it to seem like they're a good Christian and so maybe Jesus will hear them and think "Hey, that person totally loves me and thanks me for any tiny positive thing that happens to them, rad!" and then skates off and does a sick heelflip...because he's like a 90's teenage boy for some reason.

Honestly they just want some religion points to seem better than they really are, that's it. They really don't want to thank any Gods for anything. It really would seem strange for us all to thank the sun every day for providing us light so like our food can grow and we won't freeze to death. Uhhh yeah that's nice and all but the Sun don't care and if Jesus was real he wouldn't care either. He's got other things to worry about like guilting the entire human race over that time he was tortured and killed even though it was a good thing...and the only way to "save" us because of the evil we are born with...or something? Wow Christianity seems so strange sometimes, just typing it out is so wierd and then I realize people actually believe this.

[Image: sagansig_zps6vhbql6m.jpg]
[+] 2 users Like SitaSky's post