People who leave electronics lying around in public places?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-08-2015, 05:42 AM
People who leave electronics lying around in public places?
This drives me crazy. As someone who recently completed my too long forray into academia the most frequent leave your electronics lying around perpetrators are actually young people. I went to college in the suburbs and most of the people at the school were middle class, white, sheltered kids. I worked in the campus library and I would frequently see people leave their laptops for an hour in study rooms while they ran across the street to the dining hall. These study rooms never locked and than they would complain when their laptop was stolen when they came back for them after leaving them sitting there for an hour.

I've also worked in public libraries and the other day a woman came up to the reference desk I was working and just left her laptop there. Didn't say anything just left it. She than came back for it ten minutes later. Here's what kills me, she had a laptop bag with her and could have just put that damn thing in there. She did this twice more during that day. I wanted to shout I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR YOUR ELECTRONICS. Really, people keep their whole lives on phones, laptops, etc and pay hundreds or thousands of dollars for them and than just leave them lying around all the time? It's one thing if you drop it by accident but these people purposely leave their things lying around. Are they that fucking trusting and naive? Sadcryface
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
24-08-2015, 05:49 AM
RE: People who leave electronics lying around in public places?
(24-08-2015 05:42 AM)jerseygirlar Wrote:  Are they that fucking trusting and naive? Sadcryface

I'm going to assume it's more about a lack of thinking about the issue than an implicit trust. They probably haven't even considered how easy and quick it is for something like that to be stolen.
[+] 1 user Likes RobbyPants's post
24-08-2015, 05:53 AM
They are learning life is tough. A very good lesson!

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 1 user Likes Banjo's post
24-08-2015, 06:48 AM
After years of intensive study I've come to the inescapable conclusion that the majority of people are just generally oblivious of what's going on around them. Thinking about more than one thing takes effort.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 3 users Like unfogged's post
24-08-2015, 06:55 AM
Yes, they are that naive.

"If there's a single thing that life teaches us, it's that wishing doesn't make it so." - Lev Grossman
[+] 1 user Likes Nurse's post
24-08-2015, 08:06 AM
Quote:I would frequently see people leave their laptops for an hour in study rooms while they ran across the street to the dining hall.

[Image: dafuq-is-this-shit.jpg]

I think the honorable thing would be to take their laptop as to teach them basic life skills. You're doing them a favor afterall. Think of it as community service.

[Image: oscar.png]
[+] 3 users Like earmuffs's post
24-08-2015, 09:25 AM
(24-08-2015 08:06 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  
Quote:I would frequently see people leave their laptops for an hour in study rooms while they ran across the street to the dining hall.

I think the honorable thing would be to take their laptop as to teach them basic life skills. You're doing them a favor afterall. Think of it as community service.

That's what I'd do. And then I'd ask them if they have a backup copy of their research/homework/pictures/etc and watch their face pale, because of course they don't.

Seriously, people. Back your data up and don't leave your shit laying around. I cannot fathom how people can be fully aware that the stuff on their electronics is irreplaceable and NOT find some way to make a copy of it somewhere. We live in the 21st century, storage space is nearly free and extremely user friendly. If you don't have a backup solution in place, you should do so right now. Go... I'll wait...

I've long since given up having any pity for people's sob stories about how they lost all the pictures of their grandkids as babies or their 10 years of research due to a stolen computer or failed drive.

Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up.

"Let me give you some advice, bastard: never forget what you are. The rest of the world will not. Wear it like armor, and it can never be used to hurt you." - Tyrion Lannister
24-08-2015, 09:37 AM
The students likely didn't pay for it and likely won't pay for the replacement...minor inconvenience and maybe they'll get a newer, sparkly model as replacement.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
24-08-2015, 10:23 PM
I used to do it back in college. I even left my door open most of the time when I wasn't there, because I trusted the people in my dorm not to steal my stuff. It worked out just fine Smile

If we came from dust, then why is there still dust?
24-08-2015, 10:37 PM
(24-08-2015 08:06 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  

[Image: latest?cb=20110419012743]

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]