People who should know better

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-05-2018, 01:34 AM
People who should know better
One thing that irks me - when a " professional" uses incorrect terminology.

Like the mechanic who says "your oil pump burned up - you need a new motor".

Angry

No - you ignorant twat.

You need a new ENGINE.

A motor USES energy. An engine PRODUCES energy.

Know the difference Gomer.....

I'm a double atheist. I don't believe in your god or your politician.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like onlinebiker's post
18-05-2018, 06:11 AM
RE: People who should know better
(18-05-2018 01:34 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  ... A motor USES energy. An engine PRODUCES energy.

Nowadays, it's merely a matter of semantics. Currently 'engine' and 'motor' are virtually synonymous. One is interchangeable with the other, so yours is not a good example.

'Boat' and 'ship' are better examples. And submarines—even huge ones bigger than ships—are always called boats.   Smartass

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
18-05-2018, 06:26 AM
A coworker took her car to a 'shop' yesterday for an oil change and wanted them to check it out because she said it was shimmying. She told them to check the brake pads which they said were fine and they stopped exploring at that.

Car still shimmies.

I have known many shade tree mechanics who would have figured out the problem and fixed it instead of just saying...it's not that.

My husband has always said there are mechanics and there are parts changers...these shop in a box places tend to employ parts changers, in my experience.

See here they are, the bruises, some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. -JF
[+] 2 users Like Anjele's post
18-05-2018, 07:51 AM
(18-05-2018 06:26 AM)Anjele Wrote:  A coworker took her car to a 'shop' yesterday for an oil change and wanted them to check it out because she said it was shimmying. She told them to check the brake pads which they said were fine and they stopped exploring at that.

Car still shimmies.

I have known many shade tree mechanics who would have figured out the problem and fixed it instead of just saying...it's not that.

My husband has always said there are mechanics and there are parts changers...these shop in a box places tend to employ parts changers, in my experience.

The other side of the spectrum who are those guys that try and change your entire engine, when all you want is a service. "i know you came in for an air freshener, but your breaks are shot and you need 4 new tires".

The amount of time my wife has asked mechanics to look at something specific, only for them to suggest something totally unrelated might fix it. I end having to talk to them, decline there offer and say "Please just check this area and nowhere else". I know nothing about cars, like I'm not a car fanatic by any stretch, but I know when people are trying to con you out of money.

I'm training for a 10K run, read about it in my blog :
Lost In Pace - A Running Blog
18-05-2018, 08:17 AM
(18-05-2018 06:11 AM)SYZ Wrote:  
(18-05-2018 01:34 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  ... A motor USES energy. An engine PRODUCES energy.

Nowadays, it's merely a matter of semantics. Currently 'engine' and 'motor' are virtually synonymous. One is interchangeable with the other, so yours is not a good example.

'Boat' and 'ship' are better examples. And submarines—even huge ones bigger than ships—are always called boats.   Smartass

Um.

No.

Engine and motor are only synonymous in common usage, by the uneducated.

As far as ships and boats - there is no clean definition ( except subs).

In the Coast Guard ( I served) the general rule is anything under 95 foot iis a boat - anything over - is a cutter.

Of course that doesn't apply to civilian vessels - where the generrasl consensus is a boat is small enough to be carried by a ship. Many exceptions exist.
18-05-2018, 04:22 PM
(18-05-2018 07:51 AM)OakTree500 Wrote:  
(18-05-2018 06:26 AM)Anjele Wrote:  A coworker took her car to a 'shop' yesterday for an oil change and wanted them to check it out because she said it was shimmying. She told them to check the brake pads which they said were fine and they stopped exploring at that.

Car still shimmies.

The other side of the spectrum who are those guys that try and change your entire engine, when all you want is a service. "i know you came in for an air freshener, but your breaks are shot and you need 4 new tires".

The amount of time my wife has asked mechanics to look at something specific, only for them to suggest something totally unrelated might fix it. I end having to talk to them, decline there offer and say "Please just check this area and nowhere else". I know nothing about cars, like I'm not a car fanatic by any stretch, but I know when people are trying to con you out of money.

I have dealt with this too. When my ex went to Korea for a year (Army deployment) he got me a credit card for a car repair and tire place that might end with 'stone' and start with 'F'.

One day when taking the older kids to school I had a flat tire. A really nice man stopped and helped me change the tire. I went to the store that shall not be named to either have the tire fixed or to buy a new one. That was the only issue with the car. Upon leaving the car ran like absolute crap. Luckily I was mostly surrounded on the base by mechanics and one of the guys looked at my car. A vacuum hose had been disconnected and tucked under other stuff so it wasn't noticeable. After hooking that back up the car ran fine.

A couple months later I took the care in for an oil change...lo and behold...same thing happened.

Next time I went back was a tire issue. I told them NOT to open the hood. Guess what? I went to leave and the same thing again!

At that point I let them know what had been happening and that I felt the local news would love to do a story on how that chain treats the spouses of deployed soldiers.

The card balance was wiped out and that was my last time dealing with them.

So, yeah, it can go both ways.

See here they are, the bruises, some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. -JF
[+] 2 users Like Anjele's post
18-05-2018, 05:04 PM (This post was last modified: 18-05-2018 05:07 PM by Thumpalumpacus.)
(18-05-2018 01:34 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  One thing that irks me - when a " professional" uses incorrect terminology.

Angry

No - you ignorant twat.

You need a new ENGINE.

Don't engines use energy to create power?

So far as I know, nothing produces energy. It may exude it (our Sun). It may make it usable -- an engine. But energy is finite, and not produced.

How's that for semantics?
18-05-2018, 06:14 PM
I don't really care if my mechanic uses the correct terms or has more than two teeth. As long as he can keep my car running at a reasonable price.

We had a place here in Tinytown that had been owned and operated by the same family for something like 4 decades. Once charged me something like $10 to fix my air conditioner. I could totally trust them. Then they retired and sold out to one of their mechanics. A few weeks later I got disgusted with waiting for hubby to change a burnt out tail light. Took it in. He told me it was the whole assembly and would have to be ordered and cost about $75. I said no. Took it to Advance Auto and they charged me $6 for the bulb and took pity on me and changed it while I waited. I have never gone back to the other place. And never will.

Where are we going and why am I in this hand basket?
"Life is not all lovely thorns and singing vultures, you know." ~ Morticia Addams

"You're only given one little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it." Robin Williams
[+] 1 user Likes outtathereligioncloset's post
18-05-2018, 07:05 PM
(18-05-2018 05:04 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  
(18-05-2018 01:34 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  One thing that irks me - when a " professional" uses incorrect terminology.

Angry

No - you ignorant twat.

You need a new ENGINE.

Don't engines use energy to create power?

So far as I know, nothing produces energy. It may exude it (our Sun). It may make it usable -- an engine. But energy is finite, and not produced.

How's that for semantics?

Yup.

Guilty.

I dumbed it down.

An engine uses fuel to produce motion.

A motor uses energy to produce motion.

Hard to expect people who think the two are synonymous to grasp the distinction.

My bad.

I'm a double atheist. I don't believe in your god or your politician.
18-05-2018, 07:24 PM
(18-05-2018 07:51 AM)OakTree500 Wrote:  

Car still shimmies.

Got a guy to fix a leaking pipe in my pump house. He insisted that there was a gurgle in the pump and I needed a new well. His mom could divine the spot to put it. He could put it in. For an astronomical amount of money.

Stupid twit, that well will never run out of water. It sits in a soggy run-off area, on 3 sides there are hills including some tall ones. I have more water that I know what to do with.

This was some 10 years ago. Well and pump are just fine.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man