People you admire

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-11-2011, 12:11 PM
People you admire
I thought about titling this "Your heroes" but I think this works better. I want to see a short list of who you guys admire and why. I'll start.

Penn Jillette. The talking half of Penn and Teller is an outspoken atheist who is not afraid to speak his mind, and use coarse language when doing so. I agree with most of his principles and opinions and I admire his enthusiasm and passion for debate and life. He presents well thought-out arguments and the Penn and Teller act is just plain hilarious.

Charles Darwin. Not only because he formulated the theory of evolution, but because he started off believing in Natural Theology and went against the norms of the scientific community to present modification through descent by means of natural selection. He was brave to put his ideas out there knowing that he would become an enemy of the religious.

Thomas Henry Huxley. Often nicknamed "Darwin's bulldog," Huxley coined the term agnostic. He was a big influence on Darwin and was one of his closest confidants. Huxley helped promote Darwin's ideas before and after his death and Huxley may be solely responsible for getting Darwin buried alongside other great British figures (like Newton) at Westminster Abbey.

These are only 3 of the many people who I can point to as having had some impact on my life.

“Science is simply common sense at its best, that is, rigidly accurate in observation, and merciless to fallacy in logic.”
—Thomas Henry Huxley
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
10-11-2011, 01:34 PM

RE: People you admire
(10-11-2011 12:11 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  These are only 3 of the many people who I can point to as having had some impact on my life.

Richard Feynman -- the most imaginative, creative, fun Physicist ever -- explained so many things to me that nobody else could. He had incredible integrity, as demonstrated in his "Meaning of it All" book.

Margaret Atwood
- Canadian writer - the first writer who could put me into the mind of any other human being, in almost like a spooky out-of-body experience. Her last 2 novels "Oryx and Crake" and "The Year of the Flood" projected existing trends into a horrifying near future -- way outdoing Orwell

Scott Nearing
- American economics professor and homestead genius who proved to the world that with integrity, brilliance, hard work, sticking to principles you can actually get out of the insane world and create a little heaven of your own even in the harshest conditions.
Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Zatamon's post
10-11-2011, 01:36 PM

itsFerdinand. She always has something bad going on in her life, but she really never lets it get to her. If only she could help me on that.

Marilyn Monroe. She is absolutely gorgeous.

houseofcantor. I adore the way that you word your comments. They're unique. I don't know why people have trouble reading them. I'm fifteen & I can read them.

Hughsie. You just are all-around amazing
Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like calmyourtitsbro's post
10-11-2011, 01:48 PM
(10-11-2011 01:34 PM)Zatamon Wrote:  Richard Feynman -- the most imaginative, creative, fun Physicist ever -- explained so many things to me that nobody else could. He had incredible integrity, as demonstrated in his "Meaning of it All" book.
[u][b]

Yay for Feynman Smile
[+] 2 users Like morondog's post
10-11-2011, 02:42 PM
I have not read any of Feynmans work but I will definitely keep an eye out for some of it.

“Science is simply common sense at its best, that is, rigidly accurate in observation, and merciless to fallacy in logic.”
—Thomas Henry Huxley
[+] 2 users Like TheBeardedDude's post
10-11-2011, 02:52 PM
Lucius Cornelius Sulla Felix.

Yeah, huh? Big Grin

There's a boatload. Gwyneth Paltrow is my sweet everything - because unlikely as it may seem, I love her. Finding love is how one gets an A on the test of life.

Sam Harris. My mind in another - more rational - body.

Neils DeGrasse Tyson. I mean, come on...

Richard Dawkins. Gets lippy, but he is definitely a lover and a fighter. My kind of superhero.

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
10-11-2011, 05:41 PM (This post was last modified: 10-11-2011 09:06 PM by GirlyMan.)
Short list is tough. I'm gonna go with a short list of individuals who had the most influence on the direction of my development which occurred primarily between the ages of 15-20 yo. ... (god, has it been 30 years already?!?)

Friedrich Nietszche - for doing his damndest to describe the infinite and its implications to a young boy.

Georg Cantor, Bertrand Russell, and Kurt Gödel - for doing their damndest to explain the infinite to a young man.

Franz Kafka - for doing his damndest to warn a young man what life would be like if he listened to Nietszche, Cantor, Russell, and Godel.

EDIT: oops ... forgot to add Jorge Luis Borges to the Kafka list, but you'd've found him on your own via Kafka anyway.

There are many, many more. But these came first for me. Smile

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
10-11-2011, 06:05 PM
(10-11-2011 05:41 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Short list is tough. I'm gonna with a short list of individuals who had the most influence on the direction of my development which occurred primarily between the ages of 15-20 yo. ... (god, has it been 30 years already?!?)

Friedrich Nietszche - for doing his damndest to describe the infinite and its implications to a young boy.

Georg Cantor, Bertrand Russell, and Kurt Gödel - for doing their damndest to explain the infinite to a young man.

Franz Kafka - for doing his damndest to warn a young man what life would be like if he listened to Nietszche, Cantor, Russell, and Godel.

I really like the Australian eye surgeon Fred Hollows who restored the sight of thousands in third world countries.

As the the other heroes its hard to go beyond the firies, ambos and State Emergency Sevices.
[+] 1 user Likes Mr Woof's post
10-11-2011, 06:24 PM
(10-11-2011 05:41 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Short list is tough. I'm gonna with a short list of individuals who had the most influence on the direction of my development which occurred primarily between the ages of 15-20 yo. ... (god, has it been 30 years already?!?)

Damn fine list ya got there Girly; but to be expected from a damn fine individual.

Mother Nature has always been an inspiration to me; in this exercise, I began with my first hero - Sulla (from McCullough's The Grass Crown followed up by research of over thirty volumes of history. I know what many think of him - they are incorrect. If I find myself being an old man of moderate means, one of history's greats will get another trial), and went with presently extant figures. Wink

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
10-11-2011, 09:12 PM (This post was last modified: 10-11-2011 10:06 PM by GirlyMan.)
(10-11-2011 06:24 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  Damn fine list ya got there Girly; but to be expected from a damn fine individual.

Doesn't feel to me like I had anything to do with that reading list at all HoC. Feels more like the list made me, doesn't feel like I made the list. ... Crazy, huh?

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.