People you admire

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-11-2011, 12:32 AM
RE: People you admire
(10-11-2011 09:12 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(10-11-2011 06:24 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  Damn fine list ya got there Girly; but to be expected from a damn fine individual.

Doesn't feel to me like I had anything to do with that reading list at all HoC. Feels more like the list made me, doesn't feel like I made the list. ... Crazy, huh?

I think we call that a rhetorical question, responds the figment of Gwyneth Paltrow's imagination. Big Grin

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
11-11-2011, 02:25 AM (This post was last modified: 11-11-2011 02:30 AM by kim.)
Richard Feynman is such a wonderful person. Yes, is... I can't think of anyone I continue to learn so much from could ever be "was". When I get sad... I pull him up on YouTube and I always end up smiling. Big Grin

Carl Sagan... Don't think it's really necessary to explain why... if you hear him speak, you know. A passionate man. Heart

Artemisia Gentileschi -painter (1593–1652). At a time when women were not allowed to attend classes with live models, she was the first female painter to become a member of the Accademia di Arte del Disegno in Florence. She had an interesting and dramatic life and is considered a master painter of her time.

William Shakespeare - we all know what he did... now, think about this; no dictionary. The guy had a thin, somewhat inaccurate thesaurus by Thomas Cooper and a pamphlet called Arte of Rhetorique by Thomas Wilson for reference... but nothing -no way to "look up" anything. The mind just boggles at that thought. To do so much with so few tools... this was a creative guy!

Vera Rubin -(After she had earned an A.B. from Vassar College (1948), she tried to enroll at Princeton but never received their graduate catalog as women there were not allowed in the graduate astronomy program until 1975 Huh ) She studied physics at Cornell University under Philip Morrison, Richard Feynman, and Hans Bethe. There she earned an M.A. in 1951. Then in 1954 at Georgetown University she earned a Ph.D. She is an American astronomer who pioneered work on galaxy rotation rates.

Buster Keaton -Amazing actor, filmmaker, producer and writer... I consider him an artistic genius. Weird, huh? Undecided

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like kim's post
11-11-2011, 08:49 AM
(11-11-2011 02:25 AM)kim Wrote:  William Shakespeare - we all know what he did... now, think about this; no dictionary. The guy had a thin, somewhat inaccurate thesaurus by Thomas Cooper and a pamphlet called Arte of Rhetorique by Thomas Wilson for reference... but nothing -no way to "look up" anything. The mind just boggles at that thought. To do so much with so few tools... this was a creative guy!

This silly brain o' mine... Shakespeare, or Edward de Vere? Big Grin

Use the simple math with Sagan and Feynman. Never did but live in my mind, never hafta die. Wink

(It's good list, no doubt - the stupid brain goes "but wasn't there this guy?" And the name popped in my head, and there you go. Skepticism. Dang atheist. Wink )

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
11-11-2011, 09:35 AM
Buster Keaton! A very intriguing fellow. You have to throw Chaplin in there too. The scene in "Goldrush" where Chaplin eats the shoe has been redone by cartoons forever. The shoe was actually made of black licorice and they shot that scene so many times that Chaplin was literally puking because he had eaten so much black licorice.

“Science is simply common sense at its best, that is, rigidly accurate in observation, and merciless to fallacy in logic.”
—Thomas Henry Huxley
[+] 1 user Likes TheBeardedDude's post
11-11-2011, 09:49 AM
My father.........for laying the foundations of the person I am today.

Nigel Farrage....for being the only person to stand up in the European parliment time after time and exposing how tyranical it is becoming.

Rachel Corrie....for sitting in front of armoured bulldozers in palestine even though it cost her her life.....amongst many others throughout history who have tried to stand up to oppression.

For no matter how much I use these symbols, to describe symptoms of my existence.
You are your own emphasis.
So I say nothing.

-Bemore.
[+] 1 user Likes bemore's post
11-11-2011, 11:38 AM
David Suzuki - Canadian, promoter of environmental awareness, tireless spreader of science education to the masses.
Konrad Lorenz - changed the way we regard other species.
John Kenneth Galbraith - made economics human, humane and accessible

If you pray to anything, you're prey to anything.
[+] 1 user Likes Peterkin's post
11-11-2011, 04:33 PM (This post was last modified: 11-11-2011 04:56 PM by kim.)
(11-11-2011 08:49 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  
(11-11-2011 02:25 AM)kim Wrote:  William Shakespeare - we all know what he did... now, think about this; no dictionary. The guy had a thin, somewhat inaccurate thesaurus by Thomas Cooper and a pamphlet called Arte of Rhetorique by Thomas Wilson for reference... but nothing -no way to "look up" anything. The mind just boggles at that thought. To do so much with so few tools... this was a creative guy!

This silly brain o' mine... Shakespeare, or Edward de Vere? Big Grin
(It's good list, no doubt - the stupid brain goes "but wasn't there this guy?" And the name popped in my head, and there you go. Skepticism. Dang atheist. Wink )
Earl of Oxford ...hmm... good point...
yet...
'Tis but thy name that is my enemy;
Thou art thyself, though not a Shakespeare.
What's Oxford? it is nor hand, nor foot,
Nor arm, nor face, nor any other part
Belonging to a man. O, be some other name!
What's in a name? that which we call a rose
By any other name would smell as sweet;
So Shakespeare would, were he not Shakespeare call'd,
Retain that dear perfection which he owes
Without that title.

Blush

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post
11-11-2011, 10:36 PM
Christopher Hitchens - His writing is electrically beautiful.

John Lennon - 'Imagine' is the greatest song ever written.

J.K. Rowling - Currently on Book 5 and reading them to my kids. I am in love with all things Harry Potter.

I could go on....
[+] 1 user Likes Strobelite's post
12-11-2011, 12:34 AM
(11-11-2011 10:36 PM)Strobelite Wrote:  John Lennon - 'Imagine' is the greatest song ever written.

Yes.
Heart

12-11-2011, 02:09 AM
Robert G. Ingersoll: 19th century American orator and champion of free thought and humanism, "The Great Agnostic."

Some Ingersoll quotations.

Religious disputes are like arguments in a madhouse over which inmate really is Napoleon.
[+] 1 user Likes cufflink's post