Peppered Moth Mutation - the responsible gene discovered at last

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-06-2016, 09:26 AM
Peppered Moth Mutation - the responsible gene discovered at last
The story of the peppered moth, Biston betularia, is one of the most famous evolutionary tales known to the public, and is a staple of textbooks on biology. It’s appealing because it’s an example of “evolution in action”: a case in which we could see evolution happening over only one or two human generations, and understand the forces of natural selection that caused the evolutionary change.

For decades we’ve known that the differences between the carbonaria and typica forms was due to changes at a single gene, for genetic crosses showed a nice Mendelian segregation, with carbonaria behaving as a dominant allele. But we didn’t know the exact gene involved, although in recent years it was narrowed down to a 400,000-base section of the moth’s genome. Although the fact that this is a case of evolution by natural selection doesn’t depend on knowing the exact gene involved, to get the complete story from gene to color to the ecological forces involved (bird predation), it would be nice to know that gene.

Now we do.

https://whyevolutionistrue.wordpress.com...d-at-last/

The invisible and the non-existent look very much alike
Excreta Tauri Sapientam Fulgeat (The excrement of the bull causes wisdom to flee)
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 7 users Like Silly Deity's post
03-06-2016, 12:14 PM
RE: Peppered Moth Mutation - the responsible gene discovered at last
I heard yesterday they found the mutation process. Thumbsup
http://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-36424768

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
03-06-2016, 12:22 PM
I found the moth in my jeans, I hope they find the gene in the moth!
03-06-2016, 02:45 PM
The sad bit is that there are numerous examples of "evolution in action" but peeps will be peeps. Excellent news regardless. Wink

[Image: ZF1ZJ4M.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
07-06-2016, 03:19 AM
A few months ago I had the misfortune of encountering a creationist who seemed to think that peppered moths are not the exemplary instances of observable evolution that science indicates.

He chose to lift a quotation from a Wikipedia article on the moth in support of his argument but seemed oblivious to the fact that the section he quoted was from a part of the article headed, "Evolution" which starts by stating, "The evolution of the peppered moth over the last two hundred years has been studied in detail.", ends with, "Subsequent experiments and observations have supported the initial evolutionary explanation of the phenomenon" and actually references a much more detailed article on peppered moth evolution.

Intentional quote-mining? Stupidity? Who knows?

The invisible and the non-existent look very much alike
Excreta Tauri Sapientam Fulgeat (The excrement of the bull causes wisdom to flee)