Per the TTA Skype call last night: Guns

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-01-2013, 08:56 AM
Per the TTA Skype call last night: Guns
So, I wanted to weigh in again on this... and I'm not putting it in the Politics Forum because I'm not looking to get into the politics of the gun debate.

I simply want to address my life experience with guns and how my view may differ from some of y'all's simply based on exposure, education, and experience.

Anyway, as I was telling the guys last night, I don't ever remember NOT being around guns. FreeThought brought up the fact that he lives in a different culture and has never been exposed to guns; therefore, he has a different opinion on them.

Which makes sense. It really does. The more I thought about this, I realized that it not only applies to the US vs the rest of the world but also cultural living differences in the US.

Near brought up the fact that in California guns are heavily restricted and it's a rarity to for people to freely have them.

Here in Louisiana, we have very little gun restrictions, so my view on them has been molded as such.

Getting back to not ever remembering not having guns:

I grew up with them. I was always educated on them by my dad. We knew the consequences... even as a small child... of guns. I never sneaked my dad's guns... I never mishandled my dad's guns. I always respected them and treated them very carefully.

Eventually I got a BB gun and then a shotgun. Same for my brother. Not once have we ever had an incident which nearly injured or nearly cost us our lives. Gun safety was paramount and we obeyed it.

I currently have a handgun in the house, and I will be teaching my kids the importance of gun safety like my dad did.

Near also said that gun violence was partly because of the lack of education; however, I have to disagree. Not many people don't know what happens when you fire a gun at somebody. I believe that it's the person that's the problem... their mental state. I'm sure they know that a bullet will kill someone, but maybe they don't mentally grasp the consequences of death... of what that bullet really does.

A bit of a ramble, I know... sorry.

Anyway, the point of this was show the cultural differences between peoples and guns. As a kid and a teen, I never even thought about gun bans or restrictions. It just wasn't something that seems necessary. Guns were so common place and integrated in my culture, I never thought about it... it would be like people proposing to ban fireplaces or something.

[Image: vjp09.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like kingschosen's post
25-01-2013, 09:06 AM
RE: Per the TTA Skype call last night: Guns
I grew up in Tennessee with the same kind of culture. I shot guns at my uncle's for fun with my cousins. We played paintball in the woods and I used to trek around my yard for hours with my bb gun and I have been hunting (I prefered fishing as hunting could get rather boring, so I only went a few times).

I certainly agree that growing up in that culture instilled the notion of not supporting laws or restrictions around guns, but it was never centered around a discussion, just a mind-set. A few years out of that culture and a quick look at the other side of the debate made me realize my views just were not kosher.

I've told this story before but, I had an aunt who was shot and killed by her husband. With a hunting rifle and supposedly by accident in their house. And even then I would have never thought of changing gun laws until I actually stopped and thought about that story again after Newtown. If even 1 change could have meant my aunt would still be alive, how could I not support that?

Evolve
25-01-2013, 09:12 AM
(25-01-2013 09:06 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  I grew up in Tennessee with the same kind of culture. I shot guns at my uncle's for fun with my cousins. We played paintball in the woods and I used to trek around my yard for hours with my bb gun and I have been hunting (I prefered fishing as hunting could get rather boring, so I only went a few times).

I certainly agree that growing up in that culture instilled the notion of not supporting laws or restrictions around guns, but it was never centered around a discussion, just a mind-set. A few years out of that culture and a quick look at the other side of the debate made me realize my views just were not kosher.

I've told this story before but, I had an aunt who was shot and killed by her husband. With a hunting rifle and supposedly by accident in their house. And even then I would have never thought of changing gun laws until I actually stopped and thought about that story again after Newtown. If even 1 change could have meant my aunt would still be alive, how could I not support that?
But, you're basing a law change on accidents.

If we're banning things that cause accidents, the we definitely need to ban vehicles.

Restrictions and bans need to be based on violent crime... and even then, I believe, it's ineffective. Criminals are their namesake because they don't obey the law. All bans will do is remove the guns from law-abiding citizens. Sure, this would eliminate accidents, but is it really fair to remove that right from everyone because of accidents?

Bans won't keep them from the insane or criminals... there is no easy answer to this...

PS - dangit... I said I'm not getting into the debate Tongue

[+] 1 user Likes kingschosen's post
25-01-2013, 09:15 AM
I still did not say anything about banning guns. Why do people always assume that wanting to change and amend gun laws means I want to ban them?

And we already base laws on vehicles off of accidents anyways. You get a drivers license and we require insurance and we have laws based around them to add restrictions to them. Oh, and we hold car makers responsible for building vehicles that are help up to certain safety standards so as to reduce risk of harm and/or death.

Evolve
25-01-2013, 09:18 AM
(25-01-2013 09:15 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  I still did not say anything about banning guns. Why do people always assume that wanting to change and amend gun laws means I want to ban them?

And we already base laws on vehicles off of accidents anyways. You get a drivers license and we require insurance and we have laws based around them to add restrictions to them. Oh, and we hold car makers responsible for building vehicles that are help up to certain safety standards so as to reduce risk of harm and/or death.
Sorry about jumping to conclusions... we were just talking about banning on the Skype call. My bad.

[+] 1 user Likes kingschosen's post
25-01-2013, 09:18 AM
(25-01-2013 09:18 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(25-01-2013 09:15 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  I still did not say anything about banning guns. Why do people always assume that wanting to change and amend gun laws means I want to ban them?

Sorry about jumping to conclusions... we were just talking about banning on the Skype call. My bad.
It's all good, it's just that this is the base assumption that everyone makes when this type of conversation occurs.

Evolve
[+] 2 users Like TheBeardedDude's post
25-01-2013, 10:04 AM
I certainly was surprised when I saw this in the new posts.

The difference in cultures both outside and within nations certainly is an interesting thing, no? The differences between myself, yourself (KC) and Near, to use your example, You and I have almost polar opposite, and Near seems to lay somewhere between us.

You yanks are going to have to get your internal cultures sorted out before you can get anywhere with this gun stuff. Either that or go though your own Port Arthur Massacre.

Oh, I think I brought up a lack of proper education, Near latched on to that, if memory serves.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
25-01-2013, 10:36 AM
Everyone has a different POV. It's all grounded in different areas. My pov on guns is rooted in a gun 'accident' when I was a kid. I grew up in a suburb of San Francisco. Lots of Hispanic, Italian and Jewish kids in the neighborhood. An odd mix I know. Lots of kids in the neighborhood. Back in those days we had "block parents" which was THE house to go to after school. They had little signs to let kids know that was a safe place to go after school or if they were in trouble. That was our community...it was nice growing up there.

Anyway -- One of my bestest friends brother was shot in the head by a cousin when he was like 7 years old. So my default view came from that -- no matter how much you trust your kids and talk to them about gun safety -- if there is a gun in the house, no matter how cleverly it's hidden or kept in plain sight...kids will play with it. When the adult isn't looking they will touch it.

I know her story is very rare and I'm not saying it happens to everyone. But I knew this family.

Wind's in the east, a mist coming in
Like something is brewing and about to begin
Can't put my finger on what lies in store
but I feel what's to happen has happened before...

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
25-01-2013, 10:56 AM
I usually don't weigh in on gun-related stuff because it gets too personal sometimes... but this seems safe enough. It can't go wrong. Wink

Anyway- I grew up with guns. My dad is a big hunter and shooter. He collects and always has. We grew up with gun safety as paramount also. I was around guns all of my life until I moved out of the house. But I've never owned my own gun aside from a BB gun. Even now I don't own one.

It's taken a while for me to come to the point that I'm at today, where I support stronger and more effective gun laws. I don't agree any longer with the argument that then only criminals will own guns. Yes, that may be true to a degree- but if they are harder to come by, then even criminals will have a hard time getting their hands on guns.

Even growing up with guns, knowing how safe you can be with them, I don't trust anyone else with them. I've seen enough idiots in this world to know that just because I have had a childhood-long training with them, doesn't mean that everyone carrying a gun has had any training at all. And you can't afford to trust other people, because they're idiots (or at least they have the potential to be idiots).

How many people were shot by accident at guns shows on gun appreciation day alone?
[+] 1 user Likes kineo's post
25-01-2013, 11:00 AM
(25-01-2013 08:56 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  So, I wanted to weigh in again on this... and I'm not putting it in the Politics Forum because I'm not looking to get into the politics of the gun debate.

I simply want to address my life experience with guns and how my view may differ from some of y'all's simply based on exposure, education, and experience.

Anyway, as I was telling the guys last night, I don't ever remember NOT being around guns. FreeThought brought up the fact that he lives in a different culture and has never been exposed to guns; therefore, he has a different opinion on them.

Which makes sense. It really does. The more I thought about this, I realized that it not only applies to the US vs the rest of the world but also cultural living differences in the US.

Near brought up the fact that in California guns are heavily restricted and it's a rarity to for people to freely have them.

Here in Louisiana, we have very little gun restrictions, so my view on them has been molded as such.

Getting back to not ever remembering not having guns:

I grew up with them. I was always educated on them by my dad. We knew the consequences... even as a small child... of guns. I never sneaked my dad's guns... I never mishandled my dad's guns. I always respected them and treated them very carefully.

Eventually I got a BB gun and then a shotgun. Same for my brother. Not once have we ever had an incident which nearly injured or nearly cost us our lives. Gun safety was paramount and we obeyed it.

I currently have a handgun in the house, and I will be teaching my kids the importance of gun safety like my dad did.

Near also said that gun violence was partly because of the lack of education; however, I have to disagree. Not many people don't know what happens when you fire a gun at somebody. I believe that it's the person that's the problem... their mental state. I'm sure they know that a bullet will kill someone, but maybe they don't mentally grasp the consequences of death... of what that bullet really does.

A bit of a ramble, I know... sorry.

Anyway, the point of this was show the cultural differences between peoples and guns. As a kid and a teen, I never even thought about gun bans or restrictions. It just wasn't something that seems necessary. Guns were so common place and integrated in my culture, I never thought about it... it would be like people proposing to ban fireplaces or something.

I had very similar experiences with guns, KC. My father taught me how to shoot out in the Idaho desert when I was four. I received an air rifle as a Christmas present when I was six, and since the age of 18, I have been buying and amassing a nice collection of guns, which I frequently shoot. Some are safe queens, some are used for target practice, and some are kept in the house, locked and loaded, for the things that go bump in the night.

"IN THRUST WE TRUST"

"We were conservative Jews and that meant we obeyed God's Commandments until His rules became a royal pain in the ass."

- Joel Chastnoff, The 188th Crybaby Brigade