Per the TTA Skype call last night: Guns

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-01-2013, 05:55 PM
RE: Per the TTA Skype call last night: Guns
(26-01-2013 12:02 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(26-01-2013 01:33 AM)Dark Light Wrote:  If there is nothing touching the trigger I can guarantee you that an gun will not just "go off". Unless it has been modified you could throw a handgun down a flight of stairs over and over until the thing falls apart and it still will not "just go off".

Well I can imagine it could happen. Mechanical failures. Wear, faulty assembly, damage or faulty design of the firearm can cause it not to function as intended. For instance, a safety may have been worn down to a point where it is no longer functioning. Broken or worn parts in the trigger, sear or hammer/striker may have given the firearm a "hair trigger" (a very sensitive trigger). A dented or bent body of the firearm may cause jams or premature discharge of ammunition. Sensitivity to impact may cause a firearm to discharge if dropped or struck against another object. ... And such an experiment would seem to contradict your basic premise a priori. Tongue
Give me a break Girly.
Hair triggers are the modified guns to which I was referring. The parts being worn down by use so as to have an unintentional hair trigger? Come one man, yes it's a theoretical possibility but the odds of this happening before the gun in question being discarded or becoming a trophy is so astronomical it isn't a fear worth having. Even then it would require some sort of force such as a fall, which would still require it to land in such a way to aim it at a person while loaded and chambered...I would be more worried about having the same fate as Aeschylus.

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Dark Light's post
26-01-2013, 06:59 PM (This post was last modified: 27-01-2013 03:52 AM by GirlyMan.)
(26-01-2013 05:55 PM)Dark Light Wrote:  
(26-01-2013 12:02 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Well I can imagine it could happen. Mechanical failures. Wear, faulty assembly, damage or faulty design of the firearm can cause it not to function as intended. For instance, a safety may have been worn down to a point where it is no longer functioning. Broken or worn parts in the trigger, sear or hammer/striker may have given the firearm a "hair trigger" (a very sensitive trigger). A dented or bent body of the firearm may cause jams or premature discharge of ammunition. Sensitivity to impact may cause a firearm to discharge if dropped or struck against another object. ... And such an experiment would seem to contradict your basic premise a priori. Tongue
Give me a break Girly.
Hair triggers are the modified guns to which I was referring. The parts being worn down by use so as to have an unintentional hair trigger? Come one man, yes it's a theoretical possibility but the odds of this happening before the gun in question being discarded or becoming a trophy is so astronomical it isn't a fear worth having. Even then it would require some sort of force such as a fall, which would still require it to land in such a way to aim it at a person while loaded and chambered...I would be more worried about having the same fate as Aeschylus.

Told you Girly don't own no handguns 'cause it's just too easy to off my myself in a temporary fugue. ... Feel free to arm yourself to the motherfucking hilt. ... Girly ain't worried about you being armed to the fucking hilt. ... Girly's worried 'bout how you gonna keep motherfuckers who clearly should be denied access, access.

Breathing - it's more art than science.
26-01-2013, 10:22 PM
(26-01-2013 06:59 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(26-01-2013 05:55 PM)Dark Light Wrote:  Give me a break Girly.

Told you Girly don't own no handguns 'cause it's just too easy too off my myself in a temporary fugue. ... Feel free to arm yourself to the motherfucking hilt. ... Girly ain't worried about you being armed to the fucking hilt. ... Girly's worried 'bout how you gonna keep motherfuckers who clearly should be denied access, access.
Good people go bad, sane people go nuts, happy people become angry people. Can't always predict or stop it. Don't know if anything more than a simple background check is viable. No perfect solution. That's life I guess...minimize risks, but take acceptable risks. Shits bound to happen occasionally.

For the record I have the same fear you do, but if I ever feel like I might be feeling the funk of life getting me down, I'm pretty sure I can be responsible enough to let someone hold on to the pistol for me. Ain't gonna off myself with a .22 or a 8mm Mauser...

27-01-2013, 03:55 AM
(26-01-2013 10:22 PM)Dark Light Wrote:  
(26-01-2013 06:59 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Told you Girly don't own no handguns 'cause it's just too easy too off my myself in a temporary fugue. ... Feel free to arm yourself to the motherfucking hilt. ... Girly ain't worried about you being armed to the fucking hilt. ... Girly's worried 'bout how you gonna keep motherfuckers who clearly should be denied access, access.
Good people go bad, sane people go nuts, happy people become angry people. Can't always predict or stop it. Don't know if anything more than a simple background check is viable. No perfect solution. That's life I guess...minimize risks, but take acceptable risks. Shits bound to happen occasionally.

For the record I have the same fear you do, but if I ever feel like I might be feeling the funk of life getting me down, I'm pretty sure I can be responsible enough to let someone hold on to the pistol for me. Ain't gonna off myself with a .22 or a 8mm Mauser...

I hear .22 is best, 'cause it just bounces around inside the old gulliver causing mayhem and destruction without having the requisite energy to leave an exit wound. ... just saying.
Me personally, I'm going out with an exit bag filled with nitrogen. Tongue

Breathing - it's more art than science.
27-01-2013, 04:34 AM
(27-01-2013 03:55 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  I hear .22 is best, 'cause it just bounces around inside the old gulliver causing mayhem and destruction without having the requisite energy to leave an exit wound. ... just saying.
Fuck that...too boring. I'm thinking maybe jump out of an airplaine, nude, while on fire, stabbing yourself in the gut with a sword on the way down and tripping on psychotropic drugs with a live hooker involuntarily handcuffed to each ankle. Big Grin I know how to put the "fun" in funeral.

[+] 1 user Likes Dark Light's post
27-01-2013, 05:19 AM
(27-01-2013 04:34 AM)Dark Light Wrote:  
(27-01-2013 03:55 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  I hear .22 is best, 'cause it just bounces around inside the old gulliver causing mayhem and destruction without having the requisite energy to leave an exit wound. ... just saying.
Fuck that...too boring. I'm thinking maybe jump out of an airplaine, nude, while on fire, stabbing yourself in the gut with a sword on the way down and tripping on psychotropic drugs with a live hooker involuntarily handcuffed to each ankle. Big Grin I know how to put the "fun" in funeral.

I think the sword is a little over-the-top. Dodgy

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  So I had to make a new skype account Metazoa Zeke 3 85 08-08-2014 06:41 PM
Last Post: Adrianime
  Anyone wants to skype chat sometimes AnderSox 2 65 18-05-2014 12:03 PM
Last Post: AnderSox
  Tonight join the roast of P/F on skype. Metazoa Zeke 6 104 02-05-2014 01:29 PM
Last Post: Metazoa Zeke
  Anyone want to skype me? Metazoa Zeke 14 200 30-04-2014 06:37 PM
Last Post: Hobbitgirl
  Weird phone call. JDog554 14 200 20-04-2014 10:40 PM
Last Post: WeAreTheCosmos
  My fun filled night last night kingschosen 26 375 11-03-2014 01:48 PM
Last Post: Carlo_The_Bugsmasher_Driver
  Good Night Everyone! Raptor Jesus 6 177 14-01-2014 09:17 AM
Last Post: Raptor Jesus