Perceived superiority/inferiority problem

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-12-2017, 06:09 AM
Perceived superiority/inferiority problem
Player hating is another name for part of this issue. For those that don't yet know, it is the fact that at the moment many people abuse those they perceive to be superior, as it damages their self esteem to view themselves as being inferior.

Another element of the problem is that many people who view themselves as being inferior get depressed about it.

Anybody got any ideas about possible solutions for this?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Pragmatix's post
22-12-2017, 08:38 AM
RE: Perceived superiority/inferiority problem
(22-12-2017 06:09 AM)Pragmatix Wrote:  Anybody got any ideas about possible solutions for this?

Honesty is my solution. Give credit where credit is due for those who have worked hard or are naturally superior in whatever ways. Also realize that life is unfair, and so it typically isn't your fault if you are inferior in certain ways. After all, through our various media we hear about the best-of-the-best all the time, but not so much about ordinary people, so our comparisons are often skewed negative against ourselves.

Personally I like being an ordinary person, and would very much have disliked being rich or overly-talented or famous. I don't think ordinary people get enough credit for doing the really important work of the world.
Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Thoreauvian's post
22-12-2017, 11:05 AM
Maybe stop perceiving yourself as one way or the other and "just be" and focus on doing the best that you can do. Worrying about the successes and failures of others and measuring yourself accordingly is a lot of wasted energy, imo.
[+] 4 users Like jennybee's post
22-12-2017, 11:07 AM
(22-12-2017 06:09 AM)Pragmatix Wrote:  Anybody got any ideas about possible solutions for this?

Equality.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
22-12-2017, 11:09 AM
(22-12-2017 06:09 AM)Pragmatix Wrote:  ...
many people abuse those they perceive to be superior,

Yeah, I get that a lot.

Girl_nails

The trick is being too superior to care about the abuse.

Oh, and don't patronise the inferiors too much... it's not their fault.

Girl_nails Girl_nails Girl_nails

Damn! My nails look good now.

Drinking Beverage

[+] 4 users Like DLJ's post
22-12-2017, 11:32 AM
(22-12-2017 11:07 AM)Dom Wrote:  

Equality.

Reminds me of this post.

Keep It Real;p="2593368 Wrote:
Thommo;p="2593356 Wrote:For example basic fairness criteria that we don't treat one person differently from another and discriminate against them allow for everyone to have to wait till their (say) sixteenth birthday before voting without a breach, but do not allow you to then pick and choose among which sixteen year olds are worthy.

Society discriminates between people based on wisdom/intelligence all the time already. Exams and coursework in the education system being the most prominent example - our whole society is obsessed/based on it and we don't bat an eyelid. Academic success (we believe) leads to qualifications which lead to stimulating work/financial prosperity and all that comes with that (cars, living in a nice safe neighbourhood etcetcetc ad infinitum)/access to healthcare (USA)/power/influence and ultimately happiness; academic failure (we believe) leads to vocational drudgery (if one is lucky enough to find a job)/poverty /no or limited access to healthcare (USA)/powerlessness and ultimately depression.
22-12-2017, 11:41 AM
(22-12-2017 06:09 AM)Pragmatix Wrote:  Player hating is another name for part of this issue. For those that don't yet know, it is the fact that at the moment many people abuse those they perceive to be superior, as it damages their self esteem to view themselves as being inferior.

Possibly. The problem that I see every day - people who believe themselves to be "superior" in some way abusing people they consider to be "inferior" to them. Store clerks and the guy/gal at the checkout counter; the person manning the 24-hr gas/convenience store; construction workers on the road they put in danger as they speed by; the maids at the hotel; anyone they see as "less deserving" of consideration, like the homeless and those out looking for a job - have to put up with a lot of undeserved abuse from "superior" people.

So who, exactly, is abusing people they see as "superior" to themselves? Superior in what way? Does having lots of money, for instance, make them superior? If they are entrepreneurs who got rich on their own hard work, determination, and unusual skills in some area, while creating new wealth in the economy, then perhaps they are superior (at least in the business arena) and should be applauded. If they are "moguls" who got there on Daddy's money while accumulating wealth only for themselves, then not so much. How about the best teachers, entertainers, sports figures, musicians, singers, artists and shoemakers? Are lots of people abusing them for being superior?

"The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don't alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views. Which can be uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering." The (4th) Doctor
[+] 3 users Like Rockblossom's post
08-01-2018, 10:34 PM
It occurs to me this morning that the player hating phenomenon may be so deeply ingrained in the culture that most people just can't see the forest for the trees.

Take the words condescending; patronising; rude and offensive. These are all unpleasant/disparaging labels people use when they feel their self-esteem has been negatively impacted on/reduced. Really - what's the difference between those labels and the youths who labelled me a paedophile because of my confidence/seniority/local notoriety?
08-01-2018, 11:26 PM
(22-12-2017 06:09 AM)Pragmatix Wrote:  Player hating is another name for part of this issue...

"Tall poppy syndrome". This phrase can be found as early as 1864 in a controversy over the awarding of a knighthood here in Australia:

It is more difficult to find a similar recommendation for such a dignity as the Order of the Garter. But then it derives a collateral value from the fact that it is always given either to people of singular distinction, or else to men whose social position is sufficient to make them formidable to the Minister of the day. It is a kind of public proclamation that you are a tall poppy and that, as in these days your head cannot be struck off, it is worth while to buy you.

[Empire, Sydney NSW, 1850–1875, newspaper]

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
09-01-2018, 10:49 AM
(22-12-2017 08:38 AM)Thoreauvian Wrote:  Also realize that life is unfair, and so it typically isn't your fault if you are inferior in certain ways.

This is an excellent idea as to one helpful solution imo. Thumbsup
[+] 1 user Likes Pragmatix's post