Perceived superiority/inferiority problem

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-01-2018, 01:54 PM
RE: Perceived superiority/inferiority problem
I think it depends in what context you're talking about. Just about everybody is superior to others in one context or skill set and inferior in others. It's hard for me to imagine a scenario where I could honestly describe myself as superior to another person in ALL aspects; or a scenario where I could accept the premise that some other individual is superior to ME in every measurable way. Furthermore I'm not interested in making those comparisons and don't find such notions productive. I might be able to whip the tar out of someone in a debate, or maybe do basic arithmetic faster and more accurately than they can. But... if they can run 10% faster than me these perceived advantages won't amount to much if a pissed off and hungry grizzly bear attacks us both.

Just saying we all have strengths and weaknesses - being honest about our own talents and shortcomings is a necessary starting point for any kind of fruitful relationship or collaboration with other individuals. I've yet to meet anybody too stupid for me to learn something from them. I have, however, met PLENTY of people too arrogant for me to care to hear anything they have to say.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Mr. Boston's post
09-01-2018, 02:34 PM (This post was last modified: 09-01-2018 02:38 PM by BikerDude.)
(09-01-2018 01:46 PM)Pragmatix Wrote:  And the other mature posters' contributions which seriously address the OP...do they have any significant substance? Or are they all idiots as well in your opinion? BTW I'm enamoured with your username - what vision! What imagination!

They are all fools!
Fools I tell you!
You are the great and powerful OZ!
Do not arouse the wrath of the great and powerful OZ!
Do you presume to criticize the great OZ?
You ungrateful creatures!

[Image: barfly_condenados_pelo_vicio.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes BikerDude's post
09-01-2018, 02:58 PM
(09-01-2018 01:11 PM)Pragmatix Wrote:  I think you're now missing the point in a BIG way; all three of you, as well as needlessly diluting the thread with OT ad hom posts.

Then let me try again...

(22-12-2017 06:09 AM)Pragmatix Wrote:  Player hating is another name for part of this issue. For those that don't yet know, it is the fact that at the moment many people abuse those they perceive to be superior, as it damages their self esteem to view themselves as being inferior.

So I can understand better, who are you talking about? Who is abusing someone else that they perceive as superior? Who is a "player"? Do you actually mean "forum member" or do you mean something else?

Details can help ensure that you're not misunderstood.

Fox News: Praying Preying on ignorance since 1996.
09-01-2018, 03:02 PM
(09-01-2018 11:10 AM)Pragmatix Wrote:  
(09-01-2018 11:00 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Let me see if I can parse and gist this...
You (and many others here too imo) are nasty to me at the moment because of our disagreements about transsexualism. Shit sticks. Oh yeah and my rep...

FFS, how many times are you gonna complain about your negative rep on these forums? Get over it. Shape up or ship out. No

And maybe the fact that you repeatedly tell others (in real life too?) how "superior" you are is exactly why they try to take you down, or apparently "hate" you. Try showing a little compunction for once, or humility, and see how that works, rather than the deliberately confrontational sorts of comments you make here. You seem to enjoy repeatedly big-noting yourself as some sort of intellectual superior, but then acting all hurt when people have a go at you. Ever wondered why this is so? And is your ego really that fragile?

"We should not be astonished if in the cases where we see an inferiority complex we find a superiority complex more or less hidden. On the other hand, if we inquire into a superiority complex and study its continuity, we can always find a more or less hidden inferiority complex...

If a person is a show-off, it is only because he feels inferior because he does not feel strong enough to compete with others on the useful side of life. That is why he stays on the useless side. He is not in harmony with society. It seems to be a trait of human nature that when individuals feel weak, they want to solve the problems of life in such a way as to obtain personal superiority without any admixture of social interest. A superiority complex is a second phase. It is a compensation for the inferiority complex
."

—Alfred W. Adler

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
[+] 2 users Like SYZ's post
09-01-2018, 03:33 PM
(09-01-2018 01:46 PM)Pragmatix Wrote:  Or are they all idiots as well in your opinion?

Nope. Just you as far as I can tell.

#sigh
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
09-01-2018, 04:20 PM
(09-01-2018 03:02 PM)SYZ Wrote:  "We should not be astonished if in the cases where we see an inferiority complex we find a superiority complex more or less hidden. On the other hand, if we inquire into a superiority complex and study its continuity, we can always find a more or less hidden inferiority complex...

If a person is a show-off, it is only because he feels inferior because he does not feel strong enough to compete with others on the useful side of life. That is why he stays on the useless side. He is not in harmony with society. It seems to be a trait of human nature that when individuals feel weak, they want to solve the problems of life in such a way as to obtain personal superiority without any admixture of social interest. A superiority complex is a second phase. It is a compensation for the inferiority complex
."

—Alfred W. Adler

Yep. Narcissism works that way, too.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
09-01-2018, 05:06 PM
Popcorn

I'm just here to watch the inevitable crash and burn.

I promise not to snicker when it happens. Angel

(05-06-2017 04:14 PM)Gawdzilla Wrote:  Are you as ugly as you post? ...
And you can come get my guns if you'd like to try. I'll take you to the range and give you three rounds headstart.
09-01-2018, 06:33 PM
(09-01-2018 05:06 PM)Anjele Wrote:  I promise not to snicker when it happens.

[Image: 58179a8854f8b.image.jpg]

Yes please!

Big Grin

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
10-01-2018, 07:19 PM
(09-01-2018 03:33 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(09-01-2018 01:46 PM)Pragmatix Wrote:  Or are they all idiots as well in your opinion?

Nope. Just you as far as I can tell.
You're winning me round. I have been absurdly vociferous/confident in many real world social interactions recently and it's got me into nuff shtik, including losing my girlfriend and best friends. Cocky. Trying to be alpha. It's not deliberate but I'm....weird for a 36 year old (snoozing cylocybin episode).
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
10-01-2018, 07:53 PM
I'm an appallingly dreadful terminal fuckup TBH in my current opinion.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user