Perception of time

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-09-2012, 06:22 AM
Perception of time
I got to thinking about time last night.

Without any indicators of what time and what calendar day it is, what would your perception of time be?

Mine would be totally off.

Remember how long a summer was when you were a child?

As teenager, time starts passing a bit faster, but a year still looks like a long time.

In your twenties it speeds up even more, and from there on time seems to just fly. Months start feeling like weeks used to.

Eventually decades start to just fly by.

Memories of childhood seem to stick better than memories of later years. They also seem to have more power. I wonder if that is connected to the fact that time passes so much slower then.

As far as spending days without any indication of time, you have the daylight and the sun giving some direction, but often you don't know where the time went, especially when you are concentrating on one thing or another.

The more active you are, the faster time goes by. But also, the more routine your days are, the faster they slip away. Sometimes that seems contradictory.

Measuring time is what we all do, and it makes the world go round. Without it most people wouldn't get anything done. In cultures that are less time driven, things progress at a much slower pace.

Just babbling here, the concept of time as it relates to our personal lives is an interesting one.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Dom's post
19-09-2012, 06:34 AM
RE: Perception of time
Interesting side to this topic..

I remember hearing/reading somewhere last month,(I think it was a podcast on StarTalk with Neil DeGrasse Tyson) that tests done on people living underground without clocks or the ability to rely on the sun. For some reason it seems people generally wound themselves into a pattern of 28 hour days instead of the sun's dictating ways of 24 hours.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
19-09-2012, 07:05 AM
I heard about an experiment where someone lived in a cave with absolutely no access to any form of time measurement, even daylight.

Apparently they started living to a rough 28 hour day for the first six weeks. After that they completely lost all sense of time and stayed awake and slept randomly, staying awake for up to 30 hours at a time.

Best and worst of Ferdinand .....
Best
Ferdinand: We don't really say 'theist' in Alabama. Here, you're either a Christian, or you're from Afghanistan and we fucking hate you.
Worst
Ferdinand: Everyone from British is so, like, fucking retarded.
19-09-2012, 08:06 AM
I wonder if they have any concept of the time they spent there - whether it seemed like a long or short time.

This kind of makes life span relative. Relative to how you perceive the passing of time in your life.

At varying stages of life, one year can be forever or will have passed in no time at all.

What one year means to me and what it means to you can be a completely different thing.

Then you can think of animals. For instance dogs do have a concept of time, they know when to expect someone home, when to expect food etc. They do so without any events preceeding the event they expect. They live about one eighth of our life span. Does one hour then seem like 8 hours to them?

Time seems totally relative.

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
19-09-2012, 08:19 AM
Shit. With my work schedule, half the time I forget what day it is anyway. I have NO idea. It'd be way off.

"Oh is it really 2012? Crap man... I figured it was at least 2013 or maybe... well... 2011? I dunno..."
19-09-2012, 08:30 AM
Dom, you hit on the key word "relative"... for two reasons:

1) Einstein gave is the link between space and time... As you grow up, the more space you use so relatively (relativity-ly) speaking, the taller you get, the shorter time becomes.

2) Have you noticed how time drags when you spend it with your relatives?

[+] 3 users Like DLJ's post
19-09-2012, 08:33 AM
(19-09-2012 08:30 AM)DLJ Wrote:  Dom, you hit on the key word "relative"... for two reasons:

1) Einstein gave is the link between space and time... As you grow up, the more space you use so relatively (relativity-ly) speaking, the taller you get, the shorter time becomes.

2) Have you noticed how time drags when you spend it with your relatives?

So since things that have more mass have more gravity, this reinforces the fact that my inlaws are dense? Since time becomes more distorted near things with more gravity, we know that they are basically like living black holes. Seems like things get very dark, as if light itself cannot escape once a conversation starts with them.
[+] 1 user Likes Logisch's post
19-09-2012, 09:00 AM
I think as a kid life is more full of excitement..... every day is an adventure and everything seem possible.... time isnt really an issue apart from any curfews that are set.

As you get older reality starts to sink in about limitations, then you leave school and have to go to work.

My life routine as an adult is set in stone, routines are established and work plays a huge part of my life (time wise).... my work is pretty boring and the same week in week out.... im constantly waiting for the end of the month for that next payday..... so apart from the weekends where I have full time to myself months can easily fly by as when compared to when I was a kid.

When I was a kid every day was different.... now as an adult its pretty much set in stone Sad

Im sure I remember watching a programme about neanderthals and cro-magnon civilisations and their routine was set by the sun.... that we have sensors in our eyes that wake us up when sunlight hits them, but because of our lifes today we have lost the need for it... so we slept longer in winter (would help preserve energy also I presume) and spent less time asleep in the summer months.

I see time as a perception to mark A to B... I dont think it exists, all we have is this moment.

For no matter how much I use these symbols, to describe symptoms of my existence.
You are your own emphasis.
So I say nothing.

-Bemore.
19-09-2012, 09:24 AM
Time perception and relativity is one of my number one things to think about! Heart

Once in awhile I will read up on it and think about it so much that I feel surreal, like an outer body experience. Perhaps that's what meditation does when buddhists focus on the 'now'. It's engaging the sensory part of the brain and dropping the past/future part.

(19-09-2012 08:30 AM)DLJ Wrote:  2) Have you noticed how time drags when you spend it with your relatives?

So, what your saying is, if I want time to slow down all I'd have to do is let the in-laws move in. *shudders*. I don't know if I'd want to live anymore. Confused
[+] 3 users Like LadyJane's post
19-09-2012, 09:31 AM
Well, yes, all we actually have is the moment.

But the past and future play important roles. The past provides us with experiences that constantly get thrown into the decision making process in the present. Both consciously and without us being aware of it.

The future is a motivator, most of us have a goal or many, like you mentioned waiting for pay day or my waiting for the grapes to ripen and and and.... goals can be tiny and unimportant or major, but they keep us ticking.

I think goals stretch the momentary time, as in you are waiting for something. But when the moments spent waiting are past, in memory they seem minute.

Like you are fixing food and you are waiting for something to get done - one minute staring at it can seem like eternity. (A watched pot never boils).

Life events can also change perception of time - like the first days after my husband died lasted forever. At least as long as time lasted when I was a kid. Now it is starting to pass faster again. Some life events can make you feel like you are suspended in time...