• 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-07-2014, 10:01 AM
RE: Perfection and Morality
(01-07-2014 05:37 PM)Rinpoche Wrote:  I know a living Buddha,

Facepalm

Quote: he's my master.

Sounds kinky.

Quote:He is a doctor in theology.

If I mail-order a doctorate in theology, will that make ma a Living Buddha ™ too? Facepalm

Quote:He never teaches anything that we can't find out for ourselves,

Yeah.

Quote: but the Buddhist Perfection is really the inherent perfection of the universe.

Where does the Buddha claim this word salad?

Quote: My master, being a Buddha, has embraced that perfection.[ So, morally, everything he does is morally good because he is perfect.

Circular reasoning is circular.

(01-07-2014 05:51 PM)Rinpoche Wrote:  Do you know about Buddhism?

The real question is, do YOU actually know anything about Buddhism.

It's Special Pleadings all the way down!

Magic Talking Snakes STFU -- revenantx77

You can't have your special pleading and eat it too. -- WillHop
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
02-07-2014, 10:12 AM
(01-07-2014 06:05 PM)Rinpoche Wrote:  
(01-07-2014 05:55 PM)CiderThinker Wrote:  Yes I do, I've dabbled in it and there are to my mind some highly worthwhile lessons to be learned from it. But your assertion that a man is perfect is unjustified - you may not define that as a god but nevertheless I disagree with your view of his perfection...

If you research His Holiness and have correct understanding of him,

Translation: "If you Drink the Kool-Aid"...

Quote: you will see that back in Tibet he performed many well documented feats of supernatural power.

Well, then, just trot him out on YouTube and have him do some more magick tricks. Rolleyes

Quote:He also delivered the required magnificent art: http://www.iamasf.org/dorjechang.php

ART? Hobo

Quote:all in all, he is in my Buddhist view, as perfect as one can possibly be.

"Buddhist view"...? Your worship of this man is HARDLY "buddhist".

Quote: But his perfection is the perfection of the universe incarnate.

Word. Salad.

Quote: After all, you should know that the purpose of Buddhism is to become one with the universe.

No, it is not. Facepalm

02-07-2014, 03:04 PM
(02-07-2014 10:12 AM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  
(01-07-2014 06:05 PM)Rinpoche Wrote:  If you research His Holiness and have correct understanding of him,

Translation: "If you Drink the Kool-Aid"...

Quote: you will see that back in Tibet he performed many well documented feats of supernatural power.

Well, then, just trot him out on YouTube and have him do some more magick tricks. Rolleyes

Quote:He also delivered the required magnificent art: http://www.iamasf.org/dorjechang.php

ART? Hobo

Quote:all in all, he is in my Buddhist view, as perfect as one can possibly be.

Quote: But his perfection is the perfection of the universe incarnate.

Word. Salad.

Quote: After all, you should know that the purpose of Buddhism is to become one with the universe.

No, it is not. Facepalm

Why are you doing this? You're seeking out my posts on purpose just to criticize them? Did you know that much of this is easily find-able on Google?
02-07-2014, 03:07 PM
(02-07-2014 03:04 PM)Rinpoche Wrote:  
(02-07-2014 10:12 AM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  Translation: "If you Drink the Kool-Aid"...

ART? Hobo

Word. Salad.

No, it is not. Facepalm

Why are you doing this? You're seeking out my posts on purpose just to criticize them? Did you know that much of this is easily find-able on Google?
Anything is easily findable on google, from conspiracy theories to scammers to religion to fiction and everything else in between.

The Bible is easily findable on google - that means nothing for its' validity.
[+] 1 user Likes CiderThinker's post
02-07-2014, 03:15 PM
(02-07-2014 03:07 PM)CiderThinker Wrote:  
(02-07-2014 03:04 PM)Rinpoche Wrote:  Why are you doing this? You're seeking out my posts on purpose just to criticize them? Did you know that much of this is easily find-able on Google?
Anything is easily findable on google, from conspiracy theories to scammers to religion to fiction and everything else in between.

I mean the BUDDHIST answers to these questions are easily find-able, not the skeptic ones.
02-07-2014, 03:17 PM
(02-07-2014 03:15 PM)Rinpoche Wrote:  
(02-07-2014 03:07 PM)CiderThinker Wrote:  Anything is easily findable on google, from conspiracy theories to scammers to religion to fiction and everything else in between.

I mean the BUDDHIST answers to these questions are easily find-able, not the skeptic ones.

So are the Christian, Muslim, Jewish, Hindu, Sikh and FSM answers...your point is?
02-07-2014, 07:44 PM
(02-07-2014 03:04 PM)Rinpoche Wrote:  
(02-07-2014 10:12 AM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  Translation: "If you Drink the Kool-Aid"...

ART? Hobo

Word. Salad.

No, it is not. Facepalm

What Cider said.

And I have studied Buddhism and the teachings of the Buddha extensively. REAL Buddhism, not the woo-woo bullshit you are spouting.

(02-07-2014 03:15 PM)Rinpoche Wrote:  
(02-07-2014 03:07 PM)CiderThinker Wrote:  Anything is easily findable on google, from conspiracy theories to scammers to religion to fiction and everything else in between.

Then why haven't you been able to find BUDDHIST answers.

06-07-2014, 12:35 PM
I think most people both lack empathy and confuse it for morality, and thus have no actual moral compass as a result.

If you lack the ability to recognize that being harmed sucks, isn't fun, decreases your present moment quality of life, and that you shouldn't do things you wouldn't want done to YOU to OTHERS - you lack empathy, not morality. I truly feel that some self-awareness to empathy plays a critical role in how people evaluate their decisions...when they're actually thinking, that is.

However, once there is some level of awareness to empathy, I find morality to be relativistic and contingent upon the individual and their relationship to/perception of their personal circumstances, environment, culture, etc. It isn't until there's some sort of external bias or influence do most people really "feel" one particular way or another. If the bible didn't exist, I'm fairly certain we'd all still have context for what we'd consider good or bad behavior towards ourselves and others, simply based upon what we would or wouldn't like to have done to ourselves.

In the end, I truly believe most (not all, as evolution has gifted us with plenty of automatic response systems to ensure our survival) decisions are nothing more than the arbitrary volleying of subjective reasoning for the sake of self-importance and ego preservation. Morality is ultimately a choice of behavior, and most people simply bullshit themselves into thinking that IF they follow a particular line of reasoning, THEN it somehow enhances or reduces the quality of their experiences. I feel this starts to resonate closely with theistic assumptions derived from threat of constant "judgement" by a higher power.

This thread is awesome, btw!
06-07-2014, 12:40 PM
(06-07-2014 12:35 PM)intellectual_warrior Wrote:  I think most people both lack empathy and confuse it for morality, and thus have no actual moral compass as a result.

Disagree here. If this were the case then a) the trait would not have evolved and b) without empathy the human race would not have got this far.

People absolutely do have moral compasses - though I think they are much more varied than we sometimes like to think and it seems more and more evident to me that those moral compasses are extremely malleable in the young.
06-07-2014, 12:47 PM
(06-07-2014 12:40 PM)CiderThinker Wrote:  Disagree here. If this were the case then a) the trait would not have evolved and b) without empathy the human race would not have got this far.

I can get on board with this. However, simply because we may have evolved via empathy as you mention here, that doesn't mean people in our modern times and cultures always adhere to said empathy. Looking closer, I see this is actually the root of my original assertion.