Perhaps we are turning the tide against religion

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-10-2013, 04:18 AM
Perhaps we are turning the tide against religion
I see more and more evidence that perhaps reason and free thinking is turning the tide against religion.

Case in point, in Central Pennsylvania where I live, an area traditionally very religious we are seeing push back in areas such as prayer during public meetings and all.

Look at the comments of this article

Is this just that we are not being quiet about it anymore, or that there are more of us, or a combination

Why are you still reading this line when it is obviously my signature line?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes FaceOfBoe's post
30-10-2013, 04:36 AM
RE: Perhaps we are turning the tide against religion
Yes.

Yes

Find all posts by this user
30-10-2013, 06:11 AM
It's both. We used to be all isolated, now with the internet we became aware of all these others out there just like us. So then we feel free to talk about it more...

Makes me happy. I still can't wrap my head around how so many people can believe fairytales, even some quite smart people.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
30-10-2013, 07:46 AM
Religion will not survive the internet!!! I swear it!!! This is the age of reason and logic. If these gods are real, why did they not foresee this age of reason and logic and incorporate responses in their holy books and teachings? Preemptive responses that will diffuse a possible suspicion of "the emperor has no clothes" or Rather the emperor does not exist.

8000 years before Jesus, the Egyptian god Horus said, "I am the way, the truth, the life."
30-10-2013, 07:55 AM
(30-10-2013 07:46 AM)BlackMason Wrote:  Religion will not survive the internet!!! I swear it!!! This is the age of reason and logic. If these gods are real, why did they not foresee this age of reason and logic and incorporate responses in their holy books and teachings? Preemptive responses that will diffuse a possible suspicion of "the emperor has no clothes" or Rather the emperor does not exist.

I wish that were true. Have you seen sites like Suscipe Domine?

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
30-10-2013, 09:02 AM
There will always be religious groups, and the more they lose ground, the more extreme they will become because they feel persecuted. Most religions thrive on martyrdom.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
30-10-2013, 09:07 AM
(30-10-2013 09:02 AM)Dom Wrote:  There will always be religious groups, and the more they lose ground, the more extreme they will become because they feel persecuted. Most religions thrive on martyrdom.

Way to make the future look bleak in this optimistic thread!

But really that's a good point. :/
30-10-2013, 09:08 AM (This post was last modified: 30-10-2013 09:13 AM by RaisdCath.)
(30-10-2013 04:18 AM)FaceOfBoe Wrote:  I see more and more evidence that perhaps reason and free thinking is turning the tide against religion.

Case in point, in Central Pennsylvania where I live, an area traditionally very religious we are seeing push back in areas such as prayer during public meetings and all.

Look at the comments of this article

Is this just that we are not being quiet about it anymore, or that there are more of us, or a combination

I've a suggestion that begins with a question: How is faith acquired?
Is it given freely by god thereby allowing the receiver to either accept or reject it? If so, then why hasn't god given it to all so that the choices can be made and we can get on with things? If god only gives faith to a select few, why? Is god a bigot? Is god biased?
If faith isn't given freely by god, then how does one acquire it? Certainly, one isn't born with faith. Does faith happen when the individual reached the "age of cognitions" (no, I don't know when that is)? Or is faith introduced by parent(s), peers, culture, society, community, religious leader(s)?? If so, then faith is simply a "hand me down" and as such has no more claim to being the absolutely correct one than any other.

A follow-on to the question might be: ok. let's assume that those without faith cannot be "saved". What - specifically - happens upon death to the "unsaved"? And if they're immediately sent to "hell" to enjoy its eternal - un, features - why? I could somewhat understand the making of a bad choice, but how about 2/3rds of the folks living on this here world that never get to make the "choice" or at least the correct choice based upon your particular brand of christian fundamentalism? What if they made the choice to follow a religion that is not your brand; what then?

Nice way to get into an arguement with a believer....it's fun too!

"People don't go to heaven when they die; they're taken to a special room and burned!" Evil_monster
[+] 1 user Likes RaisdCath's post
30-10-2013, 09:19 AM
One lady posted - These whiners always fall back on the old "separation of church and state"

I had to chuckle at that one. "Lady every time I ring a bell, you have to get down on your knees and pray to my magical rock. If you don't you will be guilty of disobeying the religious law of the land. As such you will be stoned to the death and then your family will be forced to work in the state sponsored work programs to pay for your funeral expenses, which are very expensive"

Ok, tell me again how you don't want me to "whine" about separation of church & state.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
30-10-2013, 09:45 AM (This post was last modified: 30-10-2013 01:43 PM by BlackMason.)
(30-10-2013 07:55 AM)Chas Wrote:  I wish that were true. Have you seen sites like Suscipe Domine?

Nope. I'll have a look some other time.

**Edit**: So I looked. I got overwhelmed. I also got odd feelings of frustration. I guess I've lost my patience with people blowing smoke up each others' asses. I guess it's because I no longer view faith as a virtue and it is frustrating to see. It's like dealing with a child that can't/refuses to learn.

8000 years before Jesus, the Egyptian god Horus said, "I am the way, the truth, the life."