Perhaps we are turning the tide against religion

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-10-2013, 10:35 AM
RE: Perhaps we are turning the tide against religion
Before the internet, atheism was really a private thing... Something that very few people talked about. This is the first time there's ever been a significant popular movement against religious belief.

People are sick of it... The endless arguments, violence and damaging practices have gone on for thousands of years, I think a lot of people are realizing that unchallenged, it'll never stop.

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
30-10-2013, 10:40 AM (This post was last modified: 30-10-2013 10:46 AM by Reltzik.)
RE: Perhaps we are turning the tide against religion
(30-10-2013 10:35 AM)Paranoidsam Wrote:  Before the internet, atheism was really a private thing... Something that very few people talked about. This is the first time there's ever been a significant popular movement against religious belief.

People are sick of it... The endless arguments, violence and damaging practices have gone on for thousands of years, I think a lot of people are realizing that unchallenged, it'll never stop.

People have been realizing that for centuries.

I think that what's new is that the governments of the developed world, down to the police wielding the nightsticks, actually give a damn about protecting the right of atheists to be atheists in the face of (a possible minority of) Christians who want to persecute us, and that the bulk of us have figured out that silently practicing atheism (... er, non-practicing?) is not a good long-term strategy for existing in society.

EDIT: This, of course, is why we should be worried about religious extremists bending the government back to their will.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply