Persecution?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-12-2011, 01:00 AM
Persecution?
I'm an Australian and im new to this site.
As an atheist in a secular country its very easy to be open about how i feel about religion (even towards the religous). I've seen some videos on Youtube and videos from the thinking atheist showing how people are persecuted, threatened and ostracised for being an atheist. Are these videos an accurate reflection of how atheists are treated in America or is it not that common. I'm really interested to hear what people have to say. Thankyou!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Kempy's post
22-12-2011, 01:08 AM
RE: Persecution?
(22-12-2011 01:00 AM)Kempy Wrote:  I'm an Australian and im new to this site.
As an atheist in a secular country its very easy to be open about how i feel about religion (even towards the religous). I've seen some videos on Youtube and videos from the thinking atheist showing how people are persecuted, threatened and ostracised for being an atheist. Are these videos an accurate reflection of how atheists are treated in America or is it not that common. I'm really interested to hear what people have to say. Thankyou!

Welcome, Kempy,
We're glad to have you join us!

The short answer to your question is, Yes.
The longer answer is, It wasn't that long ago in our history that atheism was associated with the Red Devil of Communism, so the prejudice is deep-seated. Politicians get elected largely by how they handle religion in their public persona.

But, like most things in life, Your Mileage May Vary depending on where you live and with whom you associate and how you grew up. For me, I grew up knowing almost ONLY Christian people, so I've only come out as an atheist to a very select few close friends because in my world, I'm just not emotionally prepared to deal with the onslaught. But that's me and many others don't have to deal with that sort of thing.

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
[+] 2 users Like Erxomai's post
22-12-2011, 01:20 AM
Welcome Kempy (I swear, I recognize that name from somewhere >_>). I'm in Canada, so it may be slightly different. I haven't experienced many problems for being atheist. But I know others who have, and with what I do know about the US of A, I imagine it can be very difficult. It's certainly easier now than not too long ago, but we are still a minority, and one that is very discriminated against all over the world.

"Take the risk of thinking for yourself, much more happiness, truth, beauty, and wisdom will come to you that way."
- Christopher Hitchens
22-12-2011, 01:21 AM
I remember being a Yank hitchin' down South... atheism get you kilt, fool. Tongue

Civilization, what a concept. When does it arrive, again?

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like houseofcantor's post
22-12-2011, 01:29 AM
(22-12-2011 01:21 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  I remember being a Yank hitchin' down South... atheism get you kilt, fool. Tongue

Civilization, what a concept. When does it arrive, again?

Yu shore are a funny lookin' fella. Ya'll ain't from around heah, is ya?

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
22-12-2011, 05:16 AM
(22-12-2011 01:00 AM)Kempy Wrote:  I'm an Australian and im new to this site.
As an atheist in a secular country its very easy to be open about how i feel about religion (even towards the religious). I've seen some videos on YouTube and videos from the thinking atheist showing how people are persecuted, threatened and ostracised for being an atheist. Are these videos an accurate reflection of how atheists are treated in America or is it not that common. I'm really interested to hear what people have to say. Thankyou!

Welcome Kempy Big Grin

i wouldn't know about the USA, but in the mideast where i come from,
any sane person wouldn't come out as an atheist and those who do dare not to go into activism else they might "lose their heads" in all the excitement xD or wind up dead in an alley somewhere on the outskirts of Cairo.
+ the usual interventions and threats of disowning, kicking out of the house, crying of family members that wont leave you alone with it (who are genuinly concerned about you and actually believe that you'll be roasting in hell), or wont accept the fact that you think their religion is bullcrap etc.
Also islam teaches that if someone's son/daughter becomes an apostate the blame is on the parents too and they themselves will get punished for it.

Despite what i've mentioned earlier i believe Atheism is on the rise with the young people in Egypt especailly on the internet and facebook. Egypt's Sarcasm Society is a facebook group focused on memes where you often get anti god posts or doubters poking fun at god via memes. also you get the occasional outed atheist every once in a while. so there might be hope yet...

"Yeah, good idea. Make them buy your invisible apple. Insist that they do. Market it properly and don't stop until they pay for it." -Malleus
[+] 3 users Like Jackrabbit's post
22-12-2011, 07:25 AM
Yes.

I know, for me at least, I persecute them regularly. Heck, just last week I fed three to my pet lions. Sometimes, I like to give them swords and force them to hack each other apart for fun. It's pretty good stuff. If you ever want to compete in my "Atheistic Kombat" look me up if you're ever in the Louisiana area.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
[+] 3 users Like kingschosen's post
22-12-2011, 08:37 AM
Yeah they are retarded here in the states. I am quite open about me being an atheist. I live in the south where it seems to be the worst. I sometimes wonder if most people in the south think education is useless.

KC I didn't know you lived in Louisiana also. It explains a lot Smile

Idiot: : a foolish or stupid person
— idiot adjective
See Republican Candidates.

Keeping realism alive, one honest offensive comment at a time!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Clint Barnett's post
22-12-2011, 08:42 AM
(22-12-2011 08:37 AM)Clint Barnett Wrote:  Yeah they are retarded here in the states. I am quite open about me being an atheist. I live in the south where it seems to be the worst. I sometimes wonder if most people in the south think education is useless.

KC I didn't know you lived in Louisiana also. It explains a lot Smile

That's right! Only awesome people are in LA Big Grin

But, yeah... BR area with germanyt.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
22-12-2011, 09:24 AM
My initial reaction to this was to throw up. Atheists aren't persecuted. In the States, hell no. There is zero legislation that curtails their daily freedoms, quite the opposite, there's legislation that protects it and that protects them from discrimination. There are no jails full of Atheists. There are no anti-Atheist death squads. No Atheists are owned. When I think of all of that, it actually makes me a little sick when Atheists say they're being persecuted because to me, it cheapens the term and simply makes me think, "Cry baby." In the Middle East and some other areas, I'm sure it's a little different. If the news I receive is to be trusted (and there's not much reason for that sadly) then there are areas in the world where diversity is frowned upon and punished. But my interpretation of that is not that Atheists are being singled out, but that anyone who strays is persecuted. In these situations that I imagine, I can totally see persecution, but again, against all, not against Atheists in particular.

So after I wiped up my vom, I decided to look into it further. So I went to the great dispenser of perfect knowledge, the dictionary. "Tell us, oh great Dictionary, the absolute and inviolable truth so that we may forsake the need to think!"

Under PERSECUTION, the dictionary said this:
3. a program or campaign to exterminate, drive away, or subjugate a people because of their religion, race, or beliefs: the persecutions of Christians by the Romans.

So I read that and I was like, hell yeah, my vomit was warranted. My eggs and toast didn't die in vain! All hail righteous indignation!

But under PERSECUTE, the dictionary said this:
1. to pursue with harassing or oppressive treatment, especially because of religion, race, or beliefs; harass persistently.
2. to annoy or trouble persistently.

And I laughed. I suppose if one reduces persecution to harassment and annoyance, then sure, Atheists are persecuted in the US. If the documentary Jesus Camp is to be trusted, about a third of the US self-identify as Evangelical Christians. While not all of them are douche bags, a large portion of the leadership are. The reigning politics of the movement are less than inclusive. I've heard stories of people being looked at funny, being passed up for promotion, the usual suspects. So yes, they are persecuted. Not anywhere near as badly as Muslims are persecuted in the US, but still persecuted.

Peace and Love and Empathy,

Matt
[+] 1 user Likes Ghost's post