Persecution

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-11-2014, 04:45 PM
Persecution
Has anyone ever been treated poorly by or been out right persecuted by a church, minister, religious parent or by someone on the street? I would love it if some of you whom may have experienced being treated poorly were to share some of your stories. I mainly ask this because of interest for the topic itself and I am going to be writing an argumentative paper in my English Comp I class about the persecution not of but from religious people.

Personally, I do not have a story to share, but if anyone who also does not have one themselves, I would also enjoy it if you can point me to a source from someone else you know of that I can cite from.

My Youtube channel if anyone is interested.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEkRdbq...rLEz-0jEHQ
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
08-11-2014, 05:41 PM
RE: Persecution
I once spent a few days in Leeds and I felt genuine fear of my life from an Islamic cleric who lived down the street and ambushed me every morning, usually bringing a dozen other guys all demanding that I convert to islam or they would not allow me to use my hotel room or ever stay in the area again. I'm not sure if that is persecuting because it wasn't something I had to live with in the long term, but I certainly feel sorry for any non-muslim who has to live in that area of the city. I've been to Leeds a few times and every time there have been islamic blockades, or groups of men wandering around shouting at people or holding offensive signs, so I can't imagine that my experience was particularly rare. I hope so though.

Other than that the only real persecution I have to face for religious things is that my mother constantly tells members of the family that I'm probably going to be a serial killer because I reject her god, but I live in Britain so everyone sort of sees her as the nutter, except for the other mormons and I don't talk to them anyway.

[Image: sigone_zps207cf92c.png]

Leonard Nimoy
1931-2015
Live long and prosper.
08-11-2014, 07:12 PM
(08-11-2014 05:41 PM)Cetaceaphile Wrote:  I once spent a few days in Leeds and I felt genuine fear of my life from an Islamic cleric who lived down the street and ambushed me every morning, usually bringing a dozen other guys all demanding that I convert to islam or they would not allow me to use my hotel room or ever stay in the area again. I'm not sure if that is persecuting because it wasn't something I had to live with in the long term, but I certainly feel sorry for any non-muslim who has to live in that area of the city. I've been to Leeds a few times and every time there have been islamic blockades, or groups of men wandering around shouting at people or holding offensive signs, so I can't imagine that my experience was particularly rare. I hope so though.

Other than that the only real persecution I have to face for religious things is that my mother constantly tells members of the family that I'm probably going to be a serial killer because I reject her god, but I live in Britain so everyone sort of sees her as the nutter, except for the other mormons and I don't talk to them anyway.

A genuine fear of your life eh? That sucks, was it just that one part of the city, or is the whole city mostly like that?

My Youtube channel if anyone is interested.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEkRdbq...rLEz-0jEHQ
08-11-2014, 07:31 PM
(08-11-2014 07:12 PM)Shadow Fox Wrote:  
(08-11-2014 05:41 PM)Cetaceaphile Wrote:  I once spent a few days in Leeds and I felt genuine fear of my life from an Islamic cleric who lived down the street and ambushed me every morning, usually bringing a dozen other guys all demanding that I convert to islam or they would not allow me to use my hotel room or ever stay in the area again. I'm not sure if that is persecuting because it wasn't something I had to live with in the long term, but I certainly feel sorry for any non-muslim who has to live in that area of the city. I've been to Leeds a few times and every time there have been islamic blockades, or groups of men wandering around shouting at people or holding offensive signs, so I can't imagine that my experience was particularly rare. I hope so though.

A genuine fear of your life eh? That sucks, was it just that one part of the city, or is the whole city mostly like that?

Where I stayed I can't remember exactly where it was, though it was an easy walking distance from The Royal Armouries (which is why I was there). The times I went to Leeds for a day and just saw the groups hanging around and didn't have to interact with them it was in the city centre. Close by the train station is all I can say. I'm not particularly familiar with Leeds, though I assume it was the centre of the city as it was where all of the pedestrian roads and high street shops are.

[Image: sigone_zps207cf92c.png]

Leonard Nimoy
1931-2015
Live long and prosper.