Perseid Meteor Shower August 11-12

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-08-2016, 08:21 PM
Perseid Meteor Shower August 11-12
The annual Perseid meteor shower peaks on August 11th to 12th and this year's is predicted to be better than normal. We may be passing through a denser stand of debris than usual with rates of 200+ meteors per hour predicted for dark sky locations. Also, the moon will be in its first quarter so there will be less moonlight to drown out the meteors and it will set around midnight.

If you have lousy weather the night of the peak don't worry. The Perseids are the result of a very broad band of debris so activity continues for several days to either side of the peak. I've already seen several a week ahead of the main event.

[Image: Petr-Horalek-2015_08_08-15_Kolonice_Pers...709_lg.jpg]

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 5 users Like Paleophyte's post
08-08-2016, 08:52 PM
RE: Perseid Meteor Shower August 11-12
Didn't the Perseids bring the Triffids?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Day_of...ids_(film)

I'll get my coat on the way out...
[+] 1 user Likes Fireball's post
08-08-2016, 08:59 PM
The Blob was always my favorite...

Help for the living. Hope for the dead. ~ R.G. Ingersoll

Freedom offers opportunity. Opportunity confers responsibility. Responsibility to use the freedom we enjoy wisely, honestly and humanely. ~ Noam Chomsky
08-08-2016, 09:33 PM (This post was last modified: 08-08-2016 09:45 PM by RocketSurgeon76.)
My favorite part of the showers is to picture the celestial mechanics of why we're seeing it when/where we see it.

They're not hitting us-- we're hitting them. As the Earth orbits around the sun, we pass through the debris field at really high speed. The reason it starts at roughly midnight is because our direction of movement is tangent to the orbit (90 degrees from the direction of the incoming sun-rays), so at midnight we're just "turning in" the direction of the cloud the planet is moving through, and at dawn are facing directly in the direction of the incoming swarm. That's why the best viewing is just before dawn's light starts to obscure the sky, roughly 4 AM.

This also means that if the earth revolved in the other direction, the best viewing would be from nightfall to midnight, after which we'd rotate away from the incoming swarm.

I fucking love science! Big Grin

[Edit: Changed one of the "revolves" to "orbits", to avoid confusion, since one was referring to our orbit and the other to earth's spin.]

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
08-08-2016, 10:14 PM
I'm off the night of the eleventh ... I think I know what I'll be doing.
09-08-2016, 04:33 PM
[Image: meteor_showers.png]

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.
[+] 1 user Likes Paleophyte's post
11-08-2016, 08:18 PM
Tonight is the peak. Just areminder for those of you with clear skies.

---
[+] 2 users Like Paleophyte's post
11-08-2016, 08:28 PM
Getting up at 4 AM to look. I was up at 10 and it was too light yet, I saw only 1 good one.
15-08-2016, 09:01 AM
Freakin nothing but clouds where I am the last week. No chance at seeing anything. Grrrr. Next year's eclipse in the south (USA) is where I'm dragging my family.

Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored- Aldous Huxley
15-08-2016, 03:01 PM
It was really cloudy for me, too. And due to all the rain we've been getting, I got more mosquito bites than I saw meteors. Sad

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson