Personal Attacks vs Attack the Idea... Where do you draw the line?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-01-2013, 07:03 PM
Personal Attacks vs Attack the Idea... Where do you draw the line?
Hello all... I'm relatively new to the forums, so if there's a thread out there that better discusses this, feel free to link to it.

I'm wondering if anyone struggles with the line between attacking an idea and attacking the person (both from a giving and receiving end). What is your line? How do you define it? How do you handle when the situation is jumping back and forth over the line?

Its something that I have a hard time with. I know from a logical perspective a person calling my ideas illogical/crazy/whatever is not the same as calling me crazy, but as a human, we are not purely logical. We have emotions and gut reactions. And when someone attacks your arguments it can feel like you're being attacked. In some ways, your ideas are extensions of who you are. How do you disentangle you from your beliefs? I struggle with this as a former Christian who often feels like the things I used to believe were crazy, and when I attack the ideas, I'm in a way having an argument with former self. But I can also understand why someone might be hurt by the things I say.

I believe having rational discussions is imperative to change. I know I was convinced by evidence to change my beliefs, so I know its possible, but having a heated, personal attacking debate is never conducive to learning and growth. I like to think I don't personally attack others, but I have felt personally attacked. Who knows, I may have inadvertently made someone else feel personally attacked as well.

Anyway, would love to hear your thoughts.

"If you would be a real seeker after truth, it is necessary that at least once in your life you doubt, as far as possible, all things." ~Rene Descartes.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes PersephoneK's post

Messages In This Thread
Personal Attacks vs Attack the Idea... Where do you draw the line? - PersephoneK - 16-01-2013 07:03 PM