Poll: How do you feel about id/tracking chips for all citizens?
Strong like
Weak like
Indifferent
Weak dislike
Strong dislike
[Show Results]
Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
Personal Identification Implants. OK to require?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-01-2016, 11:28 PM
RE: Personal Identification Implants. OK to require?
(07-01-2016 08:56 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(07-01-2016 06:48 PM)Fireball Wrote:  I have a strong dislike for being chipped. I would, however like to have an extra CPU/array processor so that I can do tensor calculus in my head, and have it powered by beer.

Yes! I need an implant just to understand tensors, let alone tensor algebra or tensor calculus.

Oh, and can you help me grok this? It's been itching my ass for years now. I understand the words but I don't grok what they're saying.
[Image: euler.png]

This isn't just any equation, grasshopper. It must be viewed as a piece of mathematical beauty that transcends the simple (complex) equation that it appears to be. Amazing what we can do with that little formula. Euler was THE MAN!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Fireball's post
08-01-2016, 05:33 AM
(07-01-2016 03:33 PM)cactus Wrote:  ...
However, if it were like a SS#,

I used to have relatives who had their SS number tattooed on their arm.

Never did them any harm.

But that was the 1930s ... much more innocent times.

(07-01-2016 03:48 PM)Commonsensei Wrote:  ...
SSN
If your afraid of the government finding you. Your two late. Credit cards, drivers license, cell phones, street cameras. The only true way of never being found is to go off the grid. In this modern digital age good luck.
Maybe an inmate tracker.

Oh! Social Security Number. Oops!

Nope. I ain't got one.

My two what?

Credit cards? Nope. Ain't got any.
Driving licence? Nope. Ain't got one.
Cell phone? I've found a way around that and none of my phones have apps that want to know my location.
Street cameras? Yes. They're a pain... but... hats! Big Grin

The Singapore government were considering implanting chips into released prisoners. It was resisted.
The Brits are continually squashing attempts for ID cards.

Long may that continue.

The 'security' argument is a crap one and everyone knows it. The 'management' argument is much stronger.

You don't put unique identifiers on hardware to stop it getting damaged or stolen. You put them on there to help manage Incidents, Changes, Capacity and Availability.

Smile

[+] 4 users Like DLJ's post
08-01-2016, 06:12 AM
If it's just an ID chip no.

If it actually has some useable benefits besides parental tracking, then yes. We are going to be cyborging up our techno lives eventually. I am embracing of the transhuman technologies that will rise up in the future years.

The eventual Google-chip they'll want to put in there to replace your phone/watch/glasses will be something to consider connected to it.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
[+] 1 user Likes ClydeLee's post
08-01-2016, 09:08 AM
I love the idea for *you.*

I hate the idea for *me.*

It's like the old saw, "There's only 2 of us here that are sane - you and me, and I'm not so sure about you." Or something like that....

We have enough youth. How about looking for the Fountain of Smart?
[+] 1 user Likes Thinkerbelle's post
08-01-2016, 02:00 PM
(08-01-2016 05:33 AM)DLJ Wrote:  
(07-01-2016 03:33 PM)cactus Wrote:  ...
However, if it were like a SS#,

I used to have relatives who had their SS number tattooed on their arm.

Never did them any harm.

But that was the 1930s ... much more innocent times.

(07-01-2016 03:48 PM)Commonsensei Wrote:  ...
SSN
If your afraid of the government finding you. Your two late. Credit cards, drivers license, cell phones, street cameras. The only true way of never being found is to go off the grid. In this modern digital age good luck.
Maybe an inmate tracker.

Oh! Social Security Number. Oops!

Nope. I ain't got one.

My two what?

Credit cards? Nope. Ain't got any.
Driving licence? Nope. Ain't got one.
Cell phone? I've found a way around that and none of my phones have apps that want to know my location.
Street cameras? Yes. They're a pain... but... hats! Big Grin

The Singapore government were considering implanting chips into released prisoners. It was resisted.
The Brits are continually squashing attempts for ID cards.

Long may that continue.

The 'security' argument is a crap one and everyone knows it. The 'management' argument is much stronger.

You don't put unique identifiers on hardware to stop it getting damaged or stolen. You put them on there to help manage Incidents, Changes, Capacity and Availability.

Smile

What are you? Amish?

Don't Live each day like it's your last. Live each day like you have 541 days after that one where every choice you make will have lasting implications to you and the world around you. ~ Tim Minchin
08-01-2016, 05:26 PM
(08-01-2016 05:33 AM)DLJ Wrote:  Cell phone? I've found a way around that and none of my phones have apps that want to know my location.

You think that's enough? You keep thinking that. Location apps, we don't need no stinkin' location apps.

#sigh
08-01-2016, 08:29 PM
(07-01-2016 11:28 PM)Fireball Wrote:  This isn't just any equation, grasshopper.

I understand that this is the face of God. Closest I got to grokking it was this dude where I went yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, what the fuck?!?!? Hobo

#sigh
08-01-2016, 09:07 PM (This post was last modified: 08-01-2016 11:30 PM by Fireball.)
(08-01-2016 08:29 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(07-01-2016 11:28 PM)Fireball Wrote:  This isn't just any equation, grasshopper.

I understand that this is the face of God. Closest I got to grokking it was this dude where I went yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, what the fuck?!?!? Hobo

OK, he's yakking a lot, and the words on the left are moving around, so I can't tell what he's talking about, just when. Do you have the original post that he talks about? Or a specific question about this that I can see written out, instead of his hand-waving? Also, if you have an MS degree in CS, maybe you are pulling my leg. Consider I am one suspicious SOB, sometimes. Usually, too late.
08-01-2016, 09:08 PM
I am strongly opposed to compulsory implants of any kind. I feel it's inevitable that some nation or corporation will require chipping as a condition of participating in something. Want to join the army? Get this chip, so we can find you on the battlefield. And off-base. Aspiring to be an exploited factory slave? Bend your head so I can tag your ear. And so on. I just wonder how egregious and widespread the abuse of those experiments will have to be before they are resisted.

On the other hand, some biohacking enhancements would be fun. Some folks have put magnets in fingertips to sense electric fields. An implant to broaden visual spectrum would be entertaining and maybe an artistic inspiration. I'd love to try different bionic (or whatever) bits.

So I am not anti-implant. I am anti-authoritarian Eye of Sauron tracking me every time I get up to pee.
[+] 2 users Like I Am's post
08-01-2016, 10:15 PM
(08-01-2016 05:26 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(08-01-2016 05:33 AM)DLJ Wrote:  Cell phone? I've found a way around that and none of my phones have apps that want to know my location.

You think that's enough? You keep thinking that. Location apps, we don't need no stinkin' location apps.

Did you miss the 'and'?

I'll give you a clue though.

What's harder than finding a needle in a haystack?

Smartass

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post