Personal Win for Atheism

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
31-12-2011, 01:59 PM
Personal Win for Atheism
I play Dungeons and Dragons. Out of the 6 people in the game we are currently playing, I am the only Atheist.

For those who don't know, there is a Pantheon of deities in the game that your character can choose to worship. For some spell-casting classes, having a deity is necessary, for that's where you get your spells.

MY character is a Rogue/Assassin. My spells are Arcane in nature, which means using the manipulation of energy to cast magic (during a discussion we decided that it's equivalent to using Einstein's E=MC^2 equation). Ergo, I don't need a deity to cast.

After several hours of arguing with our Game Master, I managed to convince him that my character could be an Atheist. It may not be a significant victory, but it's a personal victory.

[Image: 553193_635722216633_1026343474_n.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 8 users Like Science Believer's post
31-12-2011, 02:00 PM
RE: Personal Win for Atheism
(31-12-2011 01:59 PM)Science Believer Wrote:  I play Dungeons and Dragons. Out of the 6 people in the game we are currently playing, I am the only Atheist.

For those who don't know, there is a Pantheon of deities in the game that your character can choose to worship. For some spell-casting classes, having a deity is necessary, for that's where you get your spells.

MY character is a Rogue/Assassin. My spells are Arcane in nature, which means using the manipulation of energy to cast magic (during a discussion we decided that it's equivalent to using Einstein's E=MC^2 equation). Ergo, I don't need a deity to cast.

After several hours of arguing with our Game Master, I managed to convince him that my character could be an Atheist. It may not be a significant victory, but it's a personal victory.

My inner geek embraces your enthusiasm and says, "Well played, sir."

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
[+] 1 user Likes Erxomai's post
03-01-2012, 02:19 AM
I remember Neverwinter 2 , if you chose to be an atheist , and I am paraphrasing , " your soul shall go to the nether wall and in time become part of it with other tormented souls"
So I chose IO the god that didn't give a damn for mortal affairs. But still , biased much ??? Tongue

Atheism is a religion like OFF is a TV channel !!!

Proud of my genetic relatives Big Grin
[+] 2 users Like gaglamesh731's post
06-01-2012, 07:36 PM
Hey, I'm new to this thing and I didn't know where to start. So what's up everybody
07-01-2012, 05:29 PM
(31-12-2011 01:59 PM)Science Believer Wrote:  I play Dungeons and Dragons. Out of the 6 people in the game we are currently playing, I am the only Atheist.

The only problem being that in your gameworld deities actually exist so being an atheist whould mean your charachter is essentially denying the 'reality' in the gaming world.

I read a few d&d books and played some role-playing games. The deities in d&d can actually appear in the game and influence events. They interact with that fantasy world in a very 'real' way.

Your character could choose not to worship a deity but you can't change the fact of their existence in that gaming world. Maybe you could follow the god of logic. In d&d you can make up any god you like with the attributes of you choosing..

The god of logic could be equivalent to the deistic god (doesn't interfere, never reveals itself, leaves everything to follow the laws of physics, etc.)
(06-01-2012 07:36 PM)OptimusPrimal_1914 Wrote:  Hey, I'm new to this thing and I didn't know where to start. So what's up everybody

Welcome Optimus, Normally we start with a post like this in the introduction thread so it doesn't derail other threads too much.

You do seem new at this so i'll make an exception.

“Forget Jesus, the stars died so you could be born.” - Lawrence M. Krauss