Personal experience argument

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-07-2015, 03:26 PM
RE: Personal experience argument
(06-07-2015 03:10 PM)morondog Wrote:  How old is the guy? Could be he never really thought that hard about this stuff, then decided to take it seriously. If not aware of critical thinking, can easily be misled. Christianity is designed as a mind trap.

I do not know he's age, the story he wrote is not from any religous based site.
Sometimes people discuss religion there, i think i can remember that same guy telling the same story there last year.

Also i think it really was his first time getting into the big questions and religous texts.

That's how it was for me. I never gave a crap about religion etc, since the country where we live in is Finland. (Between Sweden and Russia) and i have never faced any person who would admit being religous, in schools religion is teached not as a fact but almost as old myths, since the teachers, priests etc don't really seem to believe the stuff even themselves, i've only seen finnish religous people online where they become the subject of ridicule. Only really old people seem to be believers here, going to church and all.

So the religous questions also hit me pretty hard when i discovered all these personal experiences, NDE's and other arguments for religion. So i was also falling to become religous till i studied more and more on religion from all the factors,
everything seems to point to the opposite of god.

Only factors you can't really disprove are these personal experiences and NDE's.

That's why i wrote the story here to be discussed.

This is what i posted there but didnt get any answers on it, i guess it's impossible for them to change their mind after that kinda experience.

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
06-07-2015, 03:54 PM
(06-07-2015 03:09 PM)TheInquisition Wrote:  
Quote:the calendar of jews start from the year 3761 eaa, that has been the year thought to be the first year of creation of the world

This is wrong, laughably wrong, so whatever his imagination was telling him, it was not the truth. This should set off all kinds of alarm bells, not acceptance of it's truth.

Could you tell me the true answer to this, or how wrong it actually is that the calendar of jews start from 3761 eaa and is been thought to be the first year of creation?
06-07-2015, 04:21 PM
(06-07-2015 03:54 PM)Talviomena Wrote:  
(06-07-2015 03:09 PM)TheInquisition Wrote:  This is wrong, laughably wrong, so whatever his imagination was telling him, it was not the truth. This should set off all kinds of alarm bells, not acceptance of it's truth.

Could you tell me the true answer to this, or how wrong it actually is that the calendar of jews start from 3761 eaa and is been thought to be the first year of creation?
The earth and the universe are not less than 6,000 years old. Facepalm

The Jewish calendar was derived from the Babylonian calendar. You can arbitrarily set it to begin whenever you want. Why do you think the Gregorian calendar was set to coincide with the alleged birth of Jesus?

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
06-07-2015, 04:29 PM
(06-07-2015 04:21 PM)TheInquisition Wrote:  
(06-07-2015 03:54 PM)Talviomena Wrote:  Could you tell me the true answer to this, or how wrong it actually is that the calendar of jews start from 3761 eaa and is been thought to be the first year of creation?
The earth and the universe are not less than 6,000 years old. Facepalm

The Jewish calendar was derived from the Babylonian calendar. You can arbitrarily set it to begin whenever you want. Why do you think the Gregorian calendar was set to coincide with the alleged birth of Jesus?

Yes, i know the universe is not 6000 years old, i'm sure that he does too.

I think that the point he tried to make was that he didnt know that the jews
had written that it did. And "God" told him that jews believe the world is 6000 years old or that's when god started to communicate with the jews for the first time or something like that.

I thought you meant that 3761 eaa wasnt the actual year they originally had it as the first year of creation, sorry.
06-07-2015, 04:34 PM
(06-07-2015 04:29 PM)Talviomena Wrote:  
(06-07-2015 04:21 PM)TheInquisition Wrote:  The earth and the universe are not less than 6,000 years old. Facepalm

Yes, i know the universe is not 6000 years old, i'm sure that he does too.

I think that the point he tried to make was that he didnt know that the jews
had written that it did. And "God" told him that jews believe the world is 6000 years old or that's when god started to communicate with the jews for the first time or something like that.
This is unimpressive to say the least, he's conveying factually incorrect information and saying that god told him this?

The bible implies that the universe is less than 6,000 years old, so any deity expressed within those pages is already an unscientific assertion and inaccurate representation of reality. This is garbage-in-garbage-out, he's relaying incorrect information.

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
06-07-2015, 08:56 PM
This guy also said that "God" told him that there is no date set on when Christ would be coming back,
i think i recall reading or hearing from other people that "God" has told them the date when the world is going to end and that Christ would be coming back.

Also "God" told him that bible is written by humans and because of that it's full of errors and some things that aren't true. And i totally recall reading and hearing about people who say that "God" talked to them and told them that the bible is 100% true.

I wonder how two people would settle a debate about the same God telling both of them different things.
06-07-2015, 09:12 PM
(06-07-2015 08:56 PM)Talviomena Wrote:  This guy also said that "God" told him that there is no date set on when Christ would be coming back,
i think i recall reading or hearing from other people that "God" has told them the date when the world is going to end and that Christ would be coming back.

Also "God" told him that bible is written by humans and because of that it's full of errors and some things that aren't true. And i totally recall reading and hearing about people who say that "God" talked to them and told them that the bible is 100% true.

I wonder how two people would settle a debate about the same God telling both of them different things.

If you read the Bible you would know that Christ promised to return within his personal followers lifetimes. He did not.

“Verily I say unto you, This generation shall not pass, till all these things be fulfilled.” - Matthew 24:34

Well a whole lot of generations have passed.

As for the OP and his praying? Perhaps it is simply VMT2.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 2 users Like Banjo's post
06-07-2015, 09:33 PM
(06-07-2015 09:12 PM)Banjo Wrote:  “Verily I say unto you, This generation shall not pass, till all these things be fulfilled.” - Matthew 24:34

Well a whole lot of generations have passed.
You haven't interpreted it in context.

Just like the universe was created in 6 "days" doesn't actually mean 6 Earth days.
Well, a generation to the god is different. God lives longer than humans, his kids take a bit longer to grow up, kinda like Elves. Otherwise heaven would be full if the gods bred every three months like rabbits or even every 20-30 years like humans.
A generation to god is more like 10,000 years or a million years or something like that.

Sheshhhhhh!
[+] 2 users Like Stevil's post
06-07-2015, 09:51 PM
(06-07-2015 09:33 PM)Stevil Wrote:  You haven't interpreted it in context.

Just like the universe was created in 6 "days" doesn't actually mean 6 Earth days.
Well, a generation to the god is different. God lives longer than humans, his kids take a bit longer to grow up, kinda like Elves. Otherwise heaven would be full if the gods bred every three months like rabbits or even every 20-30 years like humans.
A generation to god is more like 10,000 years or a million years or something like that.

Sheshhhhhh!

I am converted!

[Image: 02a759d40ca6dfd57877a0b531deb81f.jpg]

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
06-07-2015, 11:09 PM
The trouble with the Personal Experience argument is that people of many religious faiths promote it as proof of their gods too. Hindus have visions of gods as do Muslims and even Native Americans have stories about the visions people have of wondrous spirits and gods. So if personal experience is proof of god then hundreds of gods must exist.....along with Santa Claus. You see, I've had a few personal experiences with Santa myself.Kiss

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 1 user Likes dancefortwo's post