Personal experience argument

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-07-2015, 08:44 PM
RE: Personal experience argument
Whiskey, dude, lemme buy you a beer!

Hell, I'm tired just reading that shit.

For all your rough edges, you have the patience of a saint.

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like RocketSurgeon76's post
21-07-2015, 08:51 PM
Chas,

If we were all United under the single cause of good for all we would come together as one civilization. Instead of countless resourses devoted to national defence and war we could unite all resourses for the greater good and the eradication of illnesses, poverty, cruelty, so forth. As far as natural disasters we could easily focus efforts and resourses on migrating to safer regions, constructing more structurally sound dwellings, and early detection/ mitigation.
21-07-2015, 08:56 PM
(21-07-2015 08:51 PM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  Chas,

If we were all United under the single cause of good for all we would come together as one civilization. Instead of countless resourses devoted to national defence and war we could unite all resourses for the greater good and the eradication of illnesses, poverty, cruelty, so forth. As far as natural disasters we could easily focus efforts and resourses on migrating to safer regions, constructing more structurally sound dwellings, and early detection/ mitigation.

And who would determine what good was?

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
[+] 1 user Likes ClydeLee's post
21-07-2015, 09:00 PM
Using science, monitors could be devised that gauge the chemicals in the brain or brainwaves or someshit in order to know that the people in power were selfless and truthfully there would be no special incentives or above average compensation for individuals in power. Systems could be devised free of corruption. No one has succeeded because no one has truthfully tried.
21-07-2015, 09:03 PM
I totally agree. You just summed up the entire basis of my religion, an atheistic religion, but not one all atheists agree with and which not even all are willing to refer to as a "religion" (as opposed to a philosophy), which we call Secular Humanism.

http://www.secularhumanism.org/index.php/1169

Humanist Manifesto © 2000
A Call for a New Planetary Humanism
Drafted by Professor Paul Kurtz

I. Preamble

Humanism is an ethical, scientific, and philosophical outlook that has changed the world. Its heritage traces back to the philosophers and poets of ancient Greece and Rome, Confucian China, and the Charvaka movement in classical India. Humanist artists, writers, scientists, and thinkers have been shaping the modern era for over half a millennium. Indeed, humanism and modernism have often seemed synonymous for humanist ideas and values express a renewed confidence in the power of human beings to solve their own problems and conquer uncharted frontiers.

II. Prospects for a Better Future

For the first time in human history we possess the means provided by science and technology to ameliorate the human condition, advance happiness and freedom, and enhance human life for all people on this planet.

III. Scientific Naturalism

The unique message of humanism on the current world scene is its commitment to scientific naturalism. Most world views accepted today are spiritual, mystical, or theological in character. They have their origins in ancient pre-urban, nomadic, and agricultural societies of the past, not in the modern industrial or postindustrial global information culture that is emerging. Scientific naturalism enables human beings to construct a coherent world view disentangled from metaphysics or theology and based on the sciences.

IV. The Benefits of Technology

Humanists have consistently defended the beneficent values of scientific technology for human welfare. Philosophers from Francis Bacon to John Dewey have emphasized the increased power over nature that scientific knowledge affords and how it can contribute immeasurably to human advancement and happiness.

V. Ethics and Reason

The realization of the highest ethical values is essential to the humanist outlook. We believe that growth of scientific knowledge will enable humans to make wiser choices. In this way there is no impenetrable wall between fact and value, is and ought. Using reason and cognition will better enable us to appraise our values in the light of evidence and by their consequences.

VI. A Universal Commitment to Humanity as a Whole

The overriding need of the world community today is to develop a new Planetary Humanism—one that seeks to preserve human rights and enhance human freedom and dignity, but also emphasizes our commitment to humanity as a whole. The underlying ethical principle of Planetary Humanism is the need to respect the dignity and worth of all persons in the world community.

VII. A Planetary Bill of Rights and Responsibilities

To fulfill our commitment to Planetary Humanism, we offer a Planetary Bill of Rights and Responsibilities, which embodies our planetary commitment to the well-being of humanity as a whole. It incorporates the Universal Declaration of Human Rights, but goes beyond it by offering some new provisions. Many independent countries have sought to implement these provisions within their own national borders. But there is a growing need for an explicit Planetary Bill of Rights and Responsibilities that applies to all members of the human species.

VIII. A New Global Agenda

Many of the high ideals that emerged following the Second World War, and that found expression in such instruments as the Universal Declaration of Human Rights, have waned through the world. If we are to influence the future of humankind, we will need to work increasingly with and through the new centers of power and influence to improve equity and stability, alleviate poverty, reduce conflict, and safeguard the environment.

IX. The Need for New Planetary Institutions

The urgent question in the twenty-first century is whether humankind can develop global institutions to address these problems. Many of the best remedies are those adopted on the local, national, and regional level by voluntary, private, and public efforts. One strategy is to seek solutions through free-market initiatives; another is to use international voluntary foundations and organizations for educational and social development. We believe, however, that there remains a need to develop new global institutions that will deal with the problems directly and will focus on the needs of humanity as a whole. These include the call for a bicameral legislature in the United Nations, with a World Parliament elected by the people, an income tax to help the underdeveloped countries, the end of the veto in the Security Council, an environmental agency, and a world court with powers of enforcement.

X. Optimism about the Human Prospect

Finally, and perhaps most importantly, as members of the human community on this planet we need to nurture a sense of optimism about the human prospect. Although many problems may seem intractable, we have good reasons to believe that we can marshal our talent to solve them, and that by goodwill and dedication a better life will be attainable by more and more members of the human community. Planetary humanism holds forth great promises for humankind. We wish to cultivate a sense of wonder and excitement about the potential opportunities for realizing enriched lives for ourselves and for generations yet to be born.

Notice the distinct lack of woo, but the same goal of making peace, through human cooperation and scientific naturalism.

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 3 users Like RocketSurgeon76's post
21-07-2015, 09:13 PM
(21-07-2015 08:51 PM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  Chas,

And that will only happen once people give up faith-based delusions and face reality with facts and reason.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Chas's post
21-07-2015, 09:36 PM
(21-07-2015 07:38 PM)Anjele Wrote:  As much as I enjoy reading the responses to poopy and godex...I think my ignore list has to be appended. They can join the likes of diddles and dim.

Poopy's threats, anger, ignorance, and general assholery make further attention not worth the time.

You just can't fix stupid.

Funny enough I actually just did block pops, I told him to stop sending his garbage to my inbox and he didn't so on the list he went to keep him from vomiting his bullshit in my inbox.
He joins Call_of_the_Wild and Wicked Clown.

Truly he strides amongst the giants! of stupidity

When valour preys on reason, it eats the sword it fights with.
[+] 1 user Likes WhiskeyDebates's post
21-07-2015, 09:47 PM
(21-07-2015 08:38 PM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  Cancer is something that should have been cured already but doctors are more interested in techniques that bring them more money instead of cures.
Let me guess.....no proof for that claim at all right?

You know a single doctor could introduce a cure for cancer and make all of that money himself right? Making an lolconspiracy kinda hard to maintain for over a century.
Your augment was that they were greedy but if they were they would do the opposite of what you say.

You're stupid.

(21-07-2015 08:38 PM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  We would eradicate all sickness sin unity by combined pure effort.
I bet you "won" a lot of participation trophies as a kid.

(21-07-2015 08:38 PM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  Hurricanes are a natural phenomena and could also be worked around or lessened in there destruction to life
I Shouldn't have to fucking work around them, I have fucking dominion over them they should work around me!
[Image: tumblr_mbv6a40Top1qcak03.gif]

(21-07-2015 08:38 PM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  through unity and pure selfless efforts that would come easily under the circumstances that would be brought forth through truthful unity.
You heard it here first ladies and gents, hurricanes can be defeated through truthiness and selflessness!
[Image: Derpy_stompy_animated_by_arrkhal-d4ia427.gif]

[+] 3 users Like WhiskeyDebates's post
21-07-2015, 09:49 PM
(21-07-2015 08:44 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  Whiskey, dude, lemme buy you a beer!

Hell, I'm tired just reading that shit.

For all your rough edges, you have the patience of a saint.

It's the rough edges that give the chainsaw bite! Big Grin

21-07-2015, 11:03 PM
You used Truthiness in a sentence!

TWO beers!!

[+] 1 user Likes RocketSurgeon76's post