Personal experience argument

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-07-2015, 12:42 PM
RE: Personal experience argument
Actually, isn't "elohim" (the second word of Genesis 1:1, after "Bereshith", meaning "in the beginning") the plural for God, with the singular being eloah or simply el, making the verse read in English:

"In the beginning the gods created the heavens and the earth..." ?

Apologists in my church explained this by saying it references the Father, Son, and Holy Ghost, or that it was the "royal we", so to speak. But I am not an expert on Hebrew. Curious to know what one of you guys who knows more about this has to say.

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
25-07-2015, 12:45 PM
(25-07-2015 12:39 PM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  
(25-07-2015 12:37 PM)jennybee Wrote:  Well, the first three lines of Genesis don't talk about good or evil or destruction.

1 In the beginning, when God created the heavens and the earth—

2 and the earth was without form or shape, with darkness over the abyss and a mighty wind sweeping over the waters—

3 Then God said: Let there be light, and there was light.
God is the wind
The abyss or water is darkness.

Try the Torah.

Okay I will.

1: IN THE beginning G-d created the heaven and the earth.
2 Now the earth was unformed and void, and darkness was upon the face of the deep; and the spirit of G-d hovered over the face of the waters.
3 And G-d said: 'Let there be light' And there was light.

So fucking what.

#sigh
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
25-07-2015, 12:46 PM
Yep that bible & torah show science to the tee... like when the Earth got formed when it was in darkness, because you know that sun wasn't around

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
[+] 1 user Likes ClydeLee's post
25-07-2015, 12:48 PM (This post was last modified: 25-07-2015 12:59 PM by jennybee.)
(25-07-2015 12:42 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  Actually, isn't "elohim" (the second word of Genesis 1:1, after "Bereshith", meaning "in the beginning") the plural for God, with the singular being eloah or simply el, making the verse read in English:

Apologists in my church explained this by saying it references the Father, Son, and Holy Ghost, or that it was the "royal we", so to speak. But I am not an expert on Hebrew. Curious to know what one of you guys who knows more about this has to say.

In the books I've read, the Israelites used to be polytheistic. The OT was a break from that tradition into monotheism. This is why you sometimes see references to god(s) in the OT (i.e. "*let us* go down and see" from Tower of Babel passage) and references to the Enuma Elish. It also explains the golden calf incident.
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
25-07-2015, 12:50 PM
(25-07-2015 12:39 PM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  
(25-07-2015 12:37 PM)jennybee Wrote:  Well, the first three lines of Genesis don't talk about good or evil or destruction.

1 In the beginning, when God created the heavens and the earth—

2 and the earth was without form or shape, with darkness over the abyss and a mighty wind sweeping over the waters—

3 Then God said: Let there be light, and there was light.
God is the wind
The abyss or water is darkness.

Try the Torah.

The Torah is the first 5 books of the Bible.
25-07-2015, 01:29 PM
(25-07-2015 12:42 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  Actually, isn't "elohim" (the second word of Genesis 1:1, after "Bereshith", meaning "in the beginning") the plural for God, with the singular being eloah or simply el, making the verse read in English:

Bucky Ball talked about this in this thread: http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...-is-Yahweh

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 2 users Like Szuchow's post
25-07-2015, 01:35 PM
(25-07-2015 11:23 AM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  Read the first 3 lines of the Torah. Then make that same statement, please.

Complete sentences: good for you! I stand by the statement(s) I made in my first response to you.
25-07-2015, 01:55 PM
(25-07-2015 12:39 PM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  God is the wind

So god's name is Maria?

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 2 users Like unfogged's post
25-07-2015, 02:01 PM
(25-07-2015 01:55 PM)unfogged Wrote:  
(25-07-2015 12:39 PM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  God is the wind

So god's name is Maria?

#sigh