Personal image mamagement really works. Why is it so easy to fool folks?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-02-2014, 11:55 PM
Personal image mamagement really works. Why is it so easy to fool folks?
I am a tax pro. Not the best in the world, but I can competently prepare the vast majority of tax returns that walk in my office. I am also the only male in my office. Over the last few weeks of tax season I have been fascinated by something.

Problem clients tend to gravitate to me more than the girls. All of the ladies in my office are senior to me in training, experience, and knowledge. Yet, when someone does not trust what they say, all I need to do is back them up and tempers seem to smooth right out.

People don't try to bully me like they do the women. Male clients lower their voices and take their seats when only moments ago they were cursing and posturing like apes.

I always believed that it was simply a gender issue. I thought people just naturally respected me more because I am male. But, that is not entirely true.

I have been experimenting over the last few weeks. I have found a "sweet spot" in my personal appearance that seems to garnish the best response.

A long sleeved button shirt with the sleeves rolled just to the center of the forearm, a simple tie, and no jewelry at all seems to be the best approach. The tie must be slack and the top button of the shirt must be open. I know that seems like a trivial detail, but it isn't. I constantly get compliments on my dress and people call me "sir" noticeably more often when these rules are kept. If I button the top button, unroll the sleeves, or put on any jewelry, my compliments go down and I am no longer "sir" material!!

The tie itself is also fairly critical. Tight and perfect is too much. Slightly loose and relaxed is perfect. If I remove it totally, I am treated like a general worker. People ask IF I am a tax pro without my tie. With it, they just start right into the tax stuff without even considering my credentials. It is very interesting.

I never placed so much emphasis on dress. Especially these minor details. Who cares if your sleeves are rolled or your tie is too tight? Well, apparently many more people than you might think.

It seems to work for women as well. The one lady who gets consistently high respect from her clients is always very well dressed. She is most usually in a business suit while the others wear slacks. It makes a difference.

"Your mind is twice a valuable as your body. And your ears are twice as valuable as your mouth. People will pay you based on which you use." - A very smart old lawyer
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
18-02-2014, 12:12 AM
RE: Personal image mamagement really works. Why is it so easy to fool folks?
(17-02-2014 11:55 PM)PatThePoltergeist Wrote:  ...
I always believed that it was simply a gender issue.
the shirt must be open.
She is most usually in a business suit

But how much mamage is she displaying?

Consider

[+] 4 users Like DLJ's post
18-02-2014, 04:04 AM
(17-02-2014 11:55 PM)PatThePoltergeist Wrote:  I have been experimenting over the last few weeks. I have found a "sweet spot" in my personal appearance that seems to garnish the best response.

I think you mean garner and not garnish and DLJ the prick beat me to mamage joke.

I don't know what to make of your post. You seem to have failed to allow that you may be fooling yourself. I'm not being flippant. Your experiment is wide open to confirmation bias because you are acting as both object and subject.

More important than how you dress is your physical attractiveness (PA), i.e. what your head and body looks like. There are piles of papers on this topic. People with high PA tend to be judged as more intelligent and juries are less likely to find them guilty. And as DLJ suggested the (non-obese) woman in the office with the biggest pair of tits that shows them off will always have men around her regardless of her professional merits.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
18-02-2014, 05:17 AM
(18-02-2014 04:04 AM)Chippy Wrote:  ...
and DLJ the prick beat me to mamage joke.

That's big prick to you, pal! Angry