Personal relationship with Jesus???

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-11-2016, 03:21 PM
RE: Personal relationship with Jesus???
(04-11-2016 02:13 PM)jennybee Wrote:  Watch this video Smile Their personal "relationship" with Jesus is no different than having a personal relationship with a bag of Cheetos.

But... those cheetos said that they love me.... Sadcryface

Don't let those gnomes and their illusions get you down. They're just gnomes and illusions.

--Jake the Dog, Adventure Time

Alouette, je te plumerai.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
11-11-2016, 07:42 PM
I've been told many times to "seek" God and to look everywhere and that even a tree can be poof of God...blah blah blah. Humans can "find" anything if they look hard enough and if they truly want to believe, I mean I can say a tree is proof that Gargamel is the creator of nature and trees and plants, I can't exactly prove it but if all I'm using as proof are fucking trees than yeah they exist and I really "feel" like Gargamel made them so yeah, thanks Gargamel!

They are believing in everything backwards, to believe something you should first be presented with evidence of it and then research it and then after enough time of convincing realize it's real and then accept as fact, no real "belief" required for the truth.

Have you seen these ghost hunting shows, these people already believe ghosts are real and hauntings occur in certain places, they go in and record sounds and strange lights and electrical readings and say "It's a ghost!" Oh really? Or maybe those are just random noises or video glitches or anything perfectly ordinary, it's not a ghost, you just want to believe and assign any tiny bit of nothing to your pre-conceived notions of reality. It's also classic confirmation bias.

You don't need a personal loving relationship with invisible beings to feel good, real people already exist who love you or will love you and bring you donuts, Jesus won't do that. I mean have you ever had a really good donut like Krispy Kreme like seriously that shit is real and no God was needed to make it, just us lowly humans, so yeah fuck Jesus. Go out there and seek knowledge, seek reason, seek the truth and don't waste time looking for gods or fairies or unicorns...actually seek unicorns and let me know if you find one, that would be awesome.

[Image: sagansig_zps6vhbql6m.jpg]
[+] 3 users Like SitaSky's post
12-11-2016, 08:16 AM
(04-11-2016 12:09 PM)jason197754 Wrote:  Some catholic friends of mine are talling me that I should pray to Jesus and to the Holy Spirit and even ask them for a sign..

Well Ive prayed to the Holy Spirit before and nothing really happened......and they say that God is our Heavenly Father....but I really dont and and cannot believe that either......

This is basically an invitation to look at the world utilizing the Christian's favorite fallacy- the post hoc fallacy. If you believe in god, since event Y followed event X, event Y must have been caused by event X.

So you pray for an event, an event that is ill-defined and wide open to interpretation, something happens, something ALWAYS happens! Then you "interpret" the event to be the result of prayer.

It's a nifty little trick for simpletons that can't recognize fallacious thinking.

It's useful for propagating belief in astrology, tarot cards, palm reading, prophecies, just about anything you want to rationalize into existence.

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
[+] 2 users Like TheInquisition's post
12-11-2016, 08:37 AM
(12-11-2016 08:16 AM)TheInquisition Wrote:  
(04-11-2016 12:09 PM)jason197754 Wrote:  Some catholic friends of mine are talling me that I should pray to Jesus and to the Holy Spirit and even ask them for a sign..

Well Ive prayed to the Holy Spirit before and nothing really happened......and they say that God is our Heavenly Father....but I really dont and and cannot believe that either......

This is basically an invitation to look at the world utilizing the Christian's favorite fallacy- the post hoc fallacy. If you believe in god, since event Y followed event X, event Y must have been caused by event X.

So you pray for an event, an event that is ill-defined and wide open to interpretation, something happens, something ALWAYS happens! Then you "interpret" the event to be the result of prayer.

It's a nifty little trick for simpletons that can't recognize fallacious thinking.

It's useful for propagating belief in astrology, tarot cards, palm reading, prophecies, just about anything you want to rationalize into existence.

Since their world view is based on interpretation, if you propose a test that eliminates interpretation from the equation, then that's when the rationalizations kick in, you've called their bluff.

That's why I made the deity tester version 1 and 2, basically their proposed god must respond to a prayer within a 10 second time frame and turn a little cardboard disc in accordance to your instructions (45-90 degrees rotation for example) to provide evidence for it's existence.

It's something a child or a trained monkey could do, but your all powerful god can't produce tangible results, such evidence is always beyond their god, it relies on a person's imagination/interpretation to conjure it into existence.

The believer will become angry or insulting if you propose such a test that relies on tangible and objective results. How dare you question god! They might even quote you a bible verse for their god's failure.

Biased interpretation is the magic formula for conjuring a god into existence.

I found my car keys after praying, therefore god. Facepalm

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
12-11-2016, 02:14 PM
Personal relationship with Jesus???
I wouldn't trust your catholic friends as far as you could throw them if i were you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
13-12-2016, 09:52 PM
When I think of having a personal relationship with God, there's a lot that can go through my mind. I attend a Christian school, and I, as an Atheist, am I not shamed to express my opinions. So, I'm often and deliberately involved in debates (obviously about God/Gods and whatnot)

I asked myself at one point in time: "How is God able to have a 'personal' relationship with an entire planet"?

Just think about it..
14-12-2016, 12:35 AM
What do you think?

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
16-02-2017, 06:16 PM
You know... It makes me sick when I hear religious people tell me the same thing. I get angry and frustrated. You know what makes it worse, when I try and talk to people about it, and they tell me it's not possible for religion to be the problem. Or some damn extreme leftist atheist telling me to 'get over it'.
No one believes that religion can ever be the problem for kids becoming meek, scared, even having anxiety. At least no one I've had the pleasure of meeting in the field of therapy much less life. Because Religion is such a wonderful thing that does so much good, how can it even do evil to a person?

I feel like gritting my teeth in anger when I tell others this, and the answer I get is 'Oh you should just get over it already' or 'That can't happen at all. You just need to pray and accept Jesus into your heart again, and I'm sure you will see your wrong about your abuse at the hands of faith.'

Accept God? Jesus? I've done so before and look where I am now. I have no self confidence, I feel useless and scared of every time I do something that this God is watching me and judging me. I once woke up having a panic attack after going to bed with thoughts about my faith. I was scared, alone, and I didn't know why I couldn't feel better when I prayed.

I talked to a friend of my aunts who is a therapist. My aunt told me to 'get over it' when I kept talking about it. It's not that easy, I keep talking about it, because it feels like I'll get better the more I mention it... But I'm not, I'm not getting better, I can't get over it, the fear is still there. Talking about it doesn't always help, because people soon get tired of telling you the same thing, to the point that tell you 'never mention it again. It's in the past now move on.'

How? How do you move on form 18 long years of being brow beaten, told your going to Hell, and all you need is that Personal relationship. The scars are deep, I'm slowly making progress, but not at the rate everything things I am.

All I'm saying is, don't let idiots tell you you just need that 'personal relationship' or that 'your religion isn't the problem it's you.' when you know it was religion that caused it; or to 'get over it' when they think it's fit or as one user said 'chill out.'. Because until they have walked in your shoes, they don't know what it's like. I'm sure they have their past, but not everyone is the same. Not everyone can move on as quickly as you do. For some of us, we may never be the same again, and other times it's going to be a slow progress and we may repeat ourselves, because how can you tell someone, religion emotionally or sometimes physically abused you?

Sorry just going through some rethinking of the past, horrible memories and all. I needed to get that off my chest.

"Governments don't want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking That is against their interests.
They want obedient workers people who are just smart enough to run the machines and do the paperwork And just dumb enough to passively accept it."

- George Carlin
[+] 1 user Likes Ruby Crystal's post
17-02-2017, 12:04 AM
I'm so sorry Ruby Sad Telling someone to "get over" the psychological damage religion has done is as pointless and ignorant as when people tell me to "get over" my depression. You keep talking about it any time you need to.

This is my favorite video for showing what a ridiculous idea a "personal relationship with Jesus" is.

I have a website here which discusses the issues and terminology surrounding religion and atheism. It's hopefully user friendly to all.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Robvalue's post
20-02-2017, 11:52 AM
jason197754 Wrote:Some catholic friends of mine are talling me that I should pray to Jesus and to the Holy Spirit and even ask them for a sign..
what did you pray about? about personal relationship with Jesus?

English is my second language.
I AM DEPLORABLE AND IRREDEEMABLE
SHE PERSISTED WE RESISTED