Personal relationship with Jesus shit

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-08-2016, 02:04 PM
Personal relationship with Jesus shit
I'm a lifelong atheist so this is something I just don't get... this personal relationship nonsense. I'm sure Buddhists have a personal relationship with Buddha, Hindus are rapturious when discussing Lord Shiva. My sister in law is an Native American and she has a personal relationship with her invisible mountain spirits and anyone who tells her otherwise gets the evil eye.

Do Christians think they have the corner market on relationships, especially personal relationships, with a god? What arrogance.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes dancefortwo's post
11-08-2016, 02:08 PM
RE: Personal relationship with Jesus shit
The massive ego of those fucks was perhaps best expressed by Sam Harris.

Quote:There is, in fact, no worldview more reprehensible in its arrogance than that of a religious believer: the creator of the universe takes an interest in me, approves of me, loves me, and will reward me after death; my current beliefs, drawn from scripture, will remain the best statement of the truth until the end of the world; everyone who disagrees with me will spend eternity in hell.

Sam Harris - Letter to a Christian Nation

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
[+] 6 users Like Minimalist's post
11-08-2016, 02:17 PM
The concept of having a personal relationship with something other than a person is scary.
" I have this special relationship with my car "

<Shudder>
[+] 1 user Likes skyking's post
11-08-2016, 02:30 PM
Not sure how you can have any relationship with someone who has been dead for the best part of 2000 years

The secret to a happy life is lowering your expectations to the point where they are already met
[+] 1 user Likes PeterKA's post
11-08-2016, 02:36 PM
Yeah on the few times someone has said such a thing in a conversation with me I have had no choice but to inform them that I can't even begin to address their statement. All I can usually think to do is say, "No you don't, grow up." They tend to get pissed.
[+] 2 users Like Mr. Boston's post
11-08-2016, 02:36 PM
What's funny is that they claim to know their god on a personal level, yet I haven't met one who can tell me what the god's favorite joke is.

Don't let those gnomes and their illusions get you down. They're just gnomes and illusions.

--Jake the Dog, Adventure Time

Alouette, je te plumerai.
[+] 2 users Like Old Man Marsh's post
11-08-2016, 02:40 PM
Inventing and conjuring in your mind a "relationship" with invisible beings or movie stars or inanimate objects is a sign of a deluded personality.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 1 user Likes Full Circle's post
11-08-2016, 02:41 PM (This post was last modified: 11-08-2016 02:46 PM by GirlyMan.)
I AM Jesus. Bob is my own personal Lord and Savior. I worship SLACK. Can't get much more personal than that. Big Grin

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
[+] 3 users Like GirlyMan's post
11-08-2016, 02:47 PM
I am declaring right now that if there exists a god or gods who would be interested in having a personal relationship with me, that I would genuinely like to have a personal relationship with them as well.

All they need to do is clearly and unambiguously communicate their desire to me, which I imagine would be an incredibly simple task for any god Rolleyes

1 Like = 1 Prayer
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 4 users Like izel's post
11-08-2016, 02:58 PM (This post was last modified: 11-08-2016 03:01 PM by SitaSky.)
Whenever a Xians says "My religion is better and more true than those other religions because it's the only one where you get a personal relationship with your savior." Then I have to point out that's not true, even the Greeks thought they would communicate with the Gods, why would they bother with all those temples to Athena and Aphrodite? For fun? They thought they could ask for stuff they wanted like wisdom or a husband or a sandwich or whatever.

Even Hindus think they can communicate on a personal level with Krishna and Ganesh, it's not a unique experience and even if it was super duper special it doesn't make it true.

[Image: sagansig_zps6vhbql6m.jpg]