Personal relationship with Jesus shit

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-08-2016, 03:01 PM
RE: Personal relationship with Jesus shit
(11-08-2016 02:47 PM)izel Wrote:  I am declaring right now that if there exists a god or gods who would be interested in having a personal relationship with me, that I would genuinely like to have a personal relationship with them as well.

All they need to do is clearly and unambiguously communicate their desire to me, which I imagine would be an incredibly simple task for any god Rolleyes

Girly's been married over 30 years. Get thee behind me succubus.

#sigh
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like GirlyMan's post
11-08-2016, 03:04 PM
(11-08-2016 02:36 PM)Old Man Marsh Wrote:  What's funny is that they claim to know their god on a personal level, yet I haven't met one who can tell me what the god's favorite joke is.

The worst part is when they proudly proclaim that no one can understand God, his ways are not our ways after all so they have a relationship with someone they could never possibly understand whose intentions are shrouded in mystery at all times. Yeah that sounds like a very healthy and stable relationship.

[Image: sagansig_zps6vhbql6m.jpg]
11-08-2016, 03:13 PM
The thing is, most religious people from various faiths probably feel close to their god, whichever god that may be. How do you measure such a thing as a "close personal relationship with god"? How can a Christian say to a Buddhist "oh, you have an impersonal relationship with your god" because this is what Christians are implying. I wonder how many Christians have really befriended someone of a completely different faith and asked about their personal relationship with Allah or Lord Shiva or whoever the god may be.

It seems more like a motto and something to plaster on a billboard or a coffee mug than anything else.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
11-08-2016, 03:16 PM
(11-08-2016 02:04 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  I'm a lifelong atheist so this is something I just don't get... this personal relationship nonsense. I'm sure Buddhists have a personal relationship with Buddha, Hindus are rapturious when discussing Lord Shiva. My sister in law is an Native American and she has a personal relationship with her invisible mountain spirits and anyone who tells her otherwise gets the evil eye.

Do Christians think they have the corner market on relationships, especially personal relationships, with a god? What arrogance.

A lot of this originated in the Protestant Reformation. Catholics insist that you need the priests, the bishops, the pope, etc. -- the whole ecclesiastical hierarchy -- as intermediaries between you and God. The early Protestants rebelled against this and taught that you can have a "personal" relationship with God -- no need for any intermediaries. It's more of an anti-clerical feeling than anything else. "Why do I need to confess my sins to a priest, when I can confess them to God directly?"
11-08-2016, 03:26 PM
(11-08-2016 03:16 PM)Grasshopper Wrote:  
(11-08-2016 02:04 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  I'm a lifelong atheist so this is something I just don't get... this personal relationship nonsense. I'm sure Buddhists have a personal relationship with Buddha, Hindus are rapturious when discussing Lord Shiva. My sister in law is an Native American and she has a personal relationship with her invisible mountain spirits and anyone who tells her otherwise gets the evil eye.

Do Christians think they have the corner market on relationships, especially personal relationships, with a god? What arrogance.

A lot of this originated in the Protestant Reformation. Catholics insist that you need the priests, the bishops, the pope, etc. -- the whole ecclesiastical hierarchy -- as intermediaries between you and God. The early Protestants rebelled against this and taught that you can have a "personal" relationship with God -- no need for any intermediaries. It's more of an anti-clerical feeling than anything else. "Why do I need to confess my sins to a priest, when I can confess them to God directly?"

Is there any reference to it in the Bible?

I should google it but I'm lazy right now.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
11-08-2016, 03:29 PM

I think they might have a point.

I am having a personal relationship with my cup of coffee at the moment, and if anyone tries to come between us I will go ballistic.

I wake up every morning knowing that my cup of coffee will be with me the entire day. Often I sit in quiet contemplation as I slowly sip my coffee in blissful solitude.

My cup of coffee is my daily salvation, and if anyone tries to tell me otherwise I will boot fuck them into the fossil record.

Drinking Beverage
[+] 4 users Like GoingUp's post
11-08-2016, 03:32 PM
(11-08-2016 03:26 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  
(11-08-2016 03:16 PM)Grasshopper Wrote:  A lot of this originated in the Protestant Reformation. Catholics insist that you need the priests, the bishops, the pope, etc. -- the whole ecclesiastical hierarchy -- as intermediaries between you and God. The early Protestants rebelled against this and taught that you can have a "personal" relationship with God -- no need for any intermediaries. It's more of an anti-clerical feeling than anything else. "Why do I need to confess my sins to a priest, when I can confess them to God directly?"

Is there any reference to it in the Bible?

I should google it but I'm lazy right now.

I'm not enough of a "Bible geek" to be able to answer that, but another big Protestant thing is sola scriptura -- that everything you need to know is in the Bible, and you don't need any church hierarchy to interpret it for you. This again is a reaction against the Catholic hierarchy. The funny thing is that the result of this is hundreds of different Protestant sects who each interpret the Bible differently.
11-08-2016, 03:42 PM
(11-08-2016 03:01 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(11-08-2016 02:47 PM)izel Wrote:  I am declaring right now that if there exists a god or gods who would be interested in having a personal relationship with me, that I would genuinely like to have a personal relationship with them as well.

All they need to do is clearly and unambiguously communicate their desire to me, which I imagine would be an incredibly simple task for any god Rolleyes

Girly's been married over 30 years. Get thee behind me succubus.

You broke my heart girly No

1 Like = 1 Prayer
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
11-08-2016, 04:06 PM
What I recall feeling when I was a believer was like something was wrong with me. Many people that we went to church with would say things like that. I thought I had done something wrong to make god/jesus not want to communicate with me like he did them. I recall crying some nights after church thinking I was being looked over, or maybe I had done something, or was going to do something wrong I didn't know about. I recall going threw the motions, not wanting people to think Jesus didn't speak to me I would look for events that I was able to associate with a being with reality shifting powers. A beam of sun light falling on me, rain "magically" stopping, wind-chimes ringing when I was thinking about him. Thinking these must be ways he is communicating with me.

Now I believe people that say these things have fallen into the same trap. They haven't experienced anything supernatural, but fear of persecution from there group, or maybe they have falling into the motions and have convinced themselves that these events had happened. Makes me in think of Al... No i better not say her name it's been so peaceful around here. Any way Ms. A (i'll call her but I think you know who I'm talking about) has such extreme ideas she's gone as far as she has verbal communication from the holy ghost. But when pressed she doesn't expand upon any of these events. Out side of "If I told you you wouldn't believe me.", and when tested about the exerience she ether avoids questioning or just agrees with what you say so that she would be left alone. Complete discontion from realty.

Don't Live each day like it's your last. Live each day like you have 541 days after that one where every choice you make will have lasting implications to you and the world around you. ~ Tim Minchin
[+] 1 user Likes Commonsensei's post
11-08-2016, 04:30 PM
(11-08-2016 02:36 PM)Old Man Marsh Wrote:  What's funny is that they claim to know their god on a personal level, yet I haven't met one who can tell me what the god's favorite joke is.

I hear he loves fart jokes.

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!