Personal relationships

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-12-2015, 04:25 AM
Personal relationships
I was thinking the other day, why is it that many christians think they have a personal relationship with something that doesn't speak to them? I know that some do think they get messages (like my sister) from beyond, but why do those who don't still think they have one? My wife says that she doesn't hear god directly and that others she knows say they do and that sort of bothers her. Yet, she still clings to the notion that she has a personal relationship. I just can't wrap my mind around how some people can think something that is such a one way street. She doesn't seem to get that a personal relationship means direct contact and not third (or more) party separation. How can one reconcile the thought of a personal relationship without anything personal? Any thoughts?

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like The Organic Chemist's post
13-12-2015, 05:00 AM
RE: Personal relationships
(13-12-2015 04:25 AM)The Organic Chemist Wrote:  I was thinking the other day, why is it that many christians think they have a personal relationship with something that doesn't speak to them? I know that some do think they get messages (like my sister) from beyond, but why do those who don't still think they have one? My wife says that she doesn't hear god directly and that others she knows say they do and that sort of bothers her. Yet, she still clings to the notion that she has a personal relationship. I just can't wrap my mind around how some people can think something that is such a one way street. She doesn't seem to get that a personal relationship means direct contact and not third (or more) party separation. How can one reconcile the thought of a personal relationship without anything personal? Any thoughts?

It makes her, and I imagine many others, feel special.

I'd point out that nobody would really get that hyped up over having that kind of distant, silent, and nebulous 'relationship' with their favorite band, movie star, author, celebrity, etc. Those who come close are referred to a stalkers, for their unhealthy obsession with their one-sided (and ultimately non-existent) relationship with their object of infatuation.

A conversation between two of more people is a dialogue, a conversation with yourself is a monologue. She is having a 'spiritual' monologue. Her friends and neighbors are also having 'spiritual monologues', how else do you explain thousands of different people all claiming to be in a relationship with god, yet all having different answers to the same questions? If they were all in a 'special relationship' (or a 'spiritual dialogue' if you will) with the same god, shouldn't they all get the same answer to the same questions?

What she makes of that is ultimately up to her.

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes EvolutionKills's post
13-12-2015, 05:43 AM
(13-12-2015 05:00 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  It makes her, and I imagine many others, feel special.

But that isn't what happens in most cases. There are people who seek God to the point of being committed Christians/Muslim/Jews for their entire lives before realizing that there is no reasonable basis for this "relationship". So they clearly get rejected by God for some reason Hobo.

1 Like = 1 Prayer
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes izel's post
13-12-2015, 06:27 AM
(13-12-2015 04:25 AM)The Organic Chemist Wrote:  I was thinking the other day, why is it that many christians think they have a personal relationship with something that doesn't speak to them? I know that some do think they get messages (like my sister) from beyond, but why do those who don't still think they have one? My wife says that she doesn't hear god directly and that others she knows say they do and that sort of bothers her. Yet, she still clings to the notion that she has a personal relationship. I just can't wrap my mind around how some people can think something that is such a one way street. She doesn't seem to get that a personal relationship means direct contact and not third (or more) party separation. How can one reconcile the thought of a personal relationship without anything personal? Any thoughts?

Anthropomorphic infatuation.

Don't let those gnomes and their illusions get you down. They're just gnomes and illusions.

--Jake the Dog, Adventure Time

Alouette, je te plumerai.
[+] 2 users Like Old Man Marsh's post
13-12-2015, 07:23 AM
Back when I was a Christian, I thought the same thing. I remember being taught that in CCD classes very early on. They told us God is your best friend and he is always there for you whenever you need to talk. Facepalm It's definitely something that is brainwashed into you at an early age before you even learn to question. People all around you-your family and friends and the church community all reiterate that way of thinking on a regular basis. It's brainwashing at its finest because before you even realize it, you've bought into it without questioning.

I look back now and I can't believe I believed half the shit I did. But then I remind myself that my mind was conditioned that way at a very early age, before I had a chance to have the ability to fully reason bullshit away. Unfortunately, some Christians still can't see through the bullshit...or more importantly, don't want to. You add the church telling you that you will go to hell for questioning God and that will keep many god fearing Christians living in the delusion.
[+] 3 users Like jennybee's post