Personhood

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-02-2014, 09:04 AM (This post was last modified: 10-02-2014 09:26 AM by BrokenQuill92.)
Personhood
So my mother got mad at me for referring to this

as an "it". She seems to think that once you're born you're automatically a person. And apparently I should be more sympathetic have a congenital cephalic disorder (hydrocephalus) of my own. but I told her that it doesn't have a brain therefore it doesn't think or feel, and so it's not a person. I also told her the woman that gave birth to it was selfish because all that time and medicine should have gone to actual children. Cases like this is why they shouldn't restrict the donor access of anecephalic "infants". People could have used those organs, and that medicine. What do you guys think? Is being "alive" enough to establish the title person? Am I being unnecessarily harsh?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
10-02-2014, 09:30 AM
RE: Personhood
You're not being unnecessarily harsh. You're being unnecessarily antagonistic.

You are a nasty person. I sure wish you would stop trolling the forum with your foul and intentionally negative threads. A wise woman once said......

...shoo fly.

So many cats, so few good recipes.
Find all posts by this user
[+] 4 users Like Stark Raving's post
10-02-2014, 09:31 AM
You usually are IMO lol, but maybe I am overly sensitive. Umm...I don't know about this. I don't understand how the mother is being selfish. What should she do have her son euthanized?

All I could think for the whole video was this woman's mother is white and yet she looks Hispanic. And her children also look Hispanic and it makes me jealous lol.

Swing with me a while, we can listen to the birds call, we can keep each other warm.
Swing with me forever, we can count up every flower, we can weather every storm.
10-02-2014, 09:38 AM
(10-02-2014 09:31 AM)LostandInsecure Wrote:  You usually are IMO lol, but maybe I am overly sensitive. Umm...I don't know about this. I don't understand how the mother is being selfish. What should she do have her son euthanized?

All I could think for the whole video was this woman's mother is white and yet she looks Hispanic. And her children also look Hispanic and it makes me jealous lol.

My question is can you be a "person" without a brain?
10-02-2014, 09:45 AM
(10-02-2014 09:30 AM)Stark Raving Wrote:  You're not being unnecessarily harsh. You're being unnecessarily antagonistic.

You are a nasty person. I sure wish you would stop trolling the forum with your foul and intentionally negative threads. A wise woman once said......

...shoo fly.

Last time I checked asking honest questions isn't antagonistic. Asked two specific question: Can you be a person without a brain? and Is restricting anencephalic organ donation really necessary?
10-02-2014, 09:52 AM
(10-02-2014 09:38 AM)BrokenQuill92 Wrote:  
(10-02-2014 09:31 AM)LostandInsecure Wrote:  You usually are IMO lol, but maybe I am overly sensitive. Umm...I don't know about this. I don't understand how the mother is being selfish. What should she do have her son euthanized?

My question is can you be a "person" without a brain?

I don't know. He's still a human boy so I don't see any reason to call him an it except to be hateful. I still can't understand how the mother is being selfish.

Swing with me a while, we can listen to the birds call, we can keep each other warm.
Swing with me forever, we can count up every flower, we can weather every storm.
10-02-2014, 09:55 AM
(10-02-2014 09:45 AM)BrokenQuill92 Wrote:  
(10-02-2014 09:30 AM)Stark Raving Wrote:  You're not being unnecessarily harsh. You're being unnecessarily antagonistic.

...shoo fly.

Last time I checked asking honest questions isn't antagonistic. Asked two specific question: Can you be a person without a brain? and Is restricting anencephalic organ donation really necessary?

You didn't ask that second question. The second question you asked was am I being unnecessarily harsh. I would say yes, but it's no surprise.

[+] 2 users Like Losty's post
10-02-2014, 10:01 AM
(10-02-2014 09:45 AM)BrokenQuill92 Wrote:  

...shoo fly.

Check again. You ARE being antagonistic (not necessarily with this thread alone, but certainly with the culmination of all your threads), and it is clearly intentional. Deny and tell me I can't read your mind all you like. Won't change a thing. You constantly attempt to cause controversy and drama with your "honest questions".

I call bullshit.

Shoo fly.

So many cats, so few good recipes.
[+] 5 users Like Stark Raving's post
10-02-2014, 10:07 AM
(10-02-2014 09:52 AM)LostandInsecure Wrote:  
(10-02-2014 09:38 AM)BrokenQuill92 Wrote:  My question is can you be a "person" without a brain?

I don't know. He's still a human boy so I don't see any reason to call him an it except to be hateful. I still can't understand how the mother is being selfish.

She was being selfish in my opinion by a) wasting medicine b) not donating the organs to a child that could have used them

My calling "him" it is just a point of recognizing that "he" doesn't have a brain (holo-anencephalia). I'm not trying to be deliberatly cruel, I simply don't think I should attach any sort of emotional significance to something/one that doesn't have any processing ability. Therefore I'm unsure as to whether or not "he" is a person, not being able to think or feel.
10-02-2014, 10:12 AM
(10-02-2014 10:07 AM)BrokenQuill92 Wrote:  
(10-02-2014 09:52 AM)LostandInsecure Wrote:  I don't know. He's still a human boy so I don't see any reason to call him an it except to be hateful. I still can't understand how the mother is being selfish.

She was being selfish in my opinion by a) wasting medicine b) not donating the organs to a child that could have used them

My calling "him" it is just a point of recognizing that "he" doesn't have a brain (holo-anencephalia). I'm not trying to be deliberatly cruel, I simply don't think I should attach any sort of emotional significance to something/one that doesn't have any processing ability. Therefore I'm unsure as to whether or not "he" is a person, not being able to think or feel.

And again, how is she supposed to donate his organs? As far as I know she cannot legally have him put to sleep because person or not he isn't a pet he is a human being. O.o

[+] 1 user Likes Losty's post