Persuade an atheist

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-04-2015, 09:02 AM
Persuade an atheist
Well they've figured out the steps necessary to convert us. With some nice comments on what not to do. My favorite was "Don't try to debate the specifics of the Bible....Treating this like a debate of facts will get you nowhere with a nonbeliever." Debating facts gets us nowhere with believers.

http://m.wikihow.com/Persuade-an-Atheist...-Christian
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 5 users Like OceanTherapist's post
15-04-2015, 09:06 AM
RE: Persuade an atheist
lol

yup

you can't argue facts - that you don't have.

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
15-04-2015, 09:09 AM
(15-04-2015 09:02 AM)Ocean theRAPIST Wrote:  Well they've figured out the steps necessary to convert us. With some nice comments on what not to do. My favorite was "Don't try to debate the specifics of the Bible....Treating this like a debate of facts will get you nowhere with a nonbeliever." Debating facts gets us nowhere with believers.

http://m.wikihow.com/Persuade-an-Atheist...-Christian

Step 1. Find an atheist

Step 2. Don't discuss facts

Step 3. ???

Step 4. Prophet

Being nice is something stupid people do to hedge their bets
-Rick
[+] 18 users Like TheBeardedDude's post
15-04-2015, 09:20 AM
It's not about arguing facts.. it's about discussing faith. Well done wiki-how, you've gone the route of the sophists

Not that I universally disagree with those principals

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
15-04-2015, 09:31 AM
I guess there is one for deconverting christians.

http://m.wikihow.com/Persuade-a-Christia...me-Atheist
15-04-2015, 10:06 AM
Yep. Nothing like a few fucking facts to mess up a jesus freak's argument.

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
15-04-2015, 10:33 AM (This post was last modified: 15-04-2015 10:37 AM by Alex K.)
Facts are from the devil anyhow, and were spoiled by sin after the Fall. Real truth is in faith, which is pure. It's not rocket science, people.

Literally, it's not.

But seriously, do you think that they honestly believe to have the facts on their side but we don't listen? Or did the person who wrote the recommendation notice that they don't have the facts and is hoping noone notices if it doesn't come up?

Quantum Physics: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
15-04-2015, 10:34 AM
Quote:A persuasive discussion of faith can be very interesting when two persons' ideals are as diametrically opposed as the atheist's (nonbeliever) and yours as a Christian

Well, you caught us. All people who are not christian are atheist.

Quote:Christians believe it's more important to show friendship unconditionally.

Unlike their god who's love is conditional on believing in him. Believe, or he'll burn your ass.

Quote:If you hope to convince anyone of your point of view, you have to first be ready to calmly take a genuine interest in that person's point of view.

Well, you have to fake that interest since we can't have you actually listening to them. If you actually were interested in the others' point-of-view, you would not make a list of how to convert someone.

And my personal favorite........
Quote:You're not arguing facts. You're discussing faith.

Maybe the apologists should read this list. This statement is the most honest thing they have said.

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
[+] 1 user Likes The Organic Chemist's post
15-04-2015, 11:41 AM
article Wrote:(but you need to be ready to answer how your faith is not about arguing the "fallacies" or good points of the world's religions or various past or present civilizations and their deities)

I'm not sure the author understands what fallacies are.
15-04-2015, 11:42 AM
Actually, the writer(s) of this ehow has/have a seemingly high respect for atheists. They acknowledge that you have to be secretive, try hard to not be condescending, and keep away from debate just to have a chance at converting an atheist. And then it acknowledges that even if you do all those things, you are still overwhelmingly likely to fail.

Haha. Smile

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
[+] 2 users Like Adrianime's post