Persuade an atheist

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-04-2015, 11:59 AM
RE: Persuade an atheist
article Wrote:If your friend constantly wants to discuss Biblical fallacies, or "Can God make a mountain God can't move?" types of questions, don't engage in debate. All you need to say is "That's not possible to know, and I'm comfortable with that. It doesn't make me any less of a believer."

So... you should believe what I believe even though I have no reason to!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
15-04-2015, 12:07 PM
(15-04-2015 11:42 AM)Adrianime Wrote:  Actually, the writer(s) of this ehow has/have a seemingly high respect for atheists. They acknowledge that you have to be secretive, try hard to not be condescending, and keep away from debate just to have a chance at converting an atheist. And then it acknowledges that even if you do all those things, you are still overwhelmingly likely to fail.

Haha. Smile

I noticed that too. Was almost thinking it was written by an atheist.
15-04-2015, 12:46 PM
[Image: 54e45e81397a8.png]

oh boy! Well, I guess its time to get started!

[Image: BL_8_400x300.jpg]

ok!

Quote:They are more concerned with their behavior, with being a reasonable person, than what "faith" or ideology that action stems from.

OK! Already here you have fucked up! A person's actions is "always" dictated by what a person believes. If a person believes its their duty to murder someone who does not believe in the same things they do, that is exactly what they are going to do. I do not believe in such things because I am not a retarded monster who lives their life by a dogma found in a book. Therefor, I will never do such things.

Checkmate on that issue, I can continue debating it, but I think I am done with this point for now.

Quote: Christians believe it's more important to show friendship unconditionally
[/quote]
Wrong! This is a lie. It may be how YOU feel, but the overwhelming majority; and when I say overwhelming-I mean overwhelming, will probably never believe this.
We are the most hated group of people in America. More than Westboro, more than gays, more than black people, more than Isis, more than anything else. We are one of the most persecuted against and only because we do not support the same crap you do. Now, your trying to fucking tell me how GREAT your religion is? One of the very same religions that allows people to do crap like this to others?

You think that just because you are going to do the "be my friend" approach and try to throw some appeal to emotions and better nature approach that you are going to win me over and change me?

[Image: mlfw4694_small.jpg]

Quote:but they want to admire and be admired/loved like friends and nice family.

So don't you! Its a natural human psychological condition that we want positive social interaction with our families and friends. It's what builds a healthy person. A lot of people who do not have any of this or are deprived of it turn out to be cruel, violent or bitter at everything.

It's not just US, its you too!

Everything with number 2 seems reasonable I guess.

Quote: not a list of sins and accusations, argument, or preachy/shock-jock blither.

Laugh out load You know, that is like most of your religion right there right?

Quote:, if you let intense emotions simmer underneath the surface to direct the conversation. It should always be civil, positive and cordial. Never cut the friend off, accuse him or her of lying, being prejudiced or saying malicious things to make a point.

So don't act like yourself or 90% of all other Christians and you will do fine! Laugh out load

Quote: The best way to get someone interested in Christianity is to present faith in your personal, fulfilling life.

Use the appeal to emotion fallacy and show how your specific social group helped you without pointing out that anyone can substitute what you did or what you do on Sundays can be replaced by anything else.

Quote:Show the Christian life as attractive to others and they'll be more interested, curious to learn more about the way you live your life as a Christian

The Christian life? How is the Christian life any different than mine, other than the fact that I don't spend 10% of my wages on a church and read from a book every Sunday? Give me one good reason why I would want to spend my entire life preparing for the end when I could be enjoying the here and now with everyone?

I do not want to spend a single iota of time preparing myself for that moment when I leave the party and it continues on without me. Watching the clock and waiting until they can leave the party is what Christians do, I am one of the guys dancing, drinking and socializing during the party. I have no idea what your talking about and I want nothing to do with it. Thanks.

Quote:You're not arguing facts. You're discussing faith.

Except that your "faith" IS the facts! At least according to you!

Quote:competitive debate about the virtues of your faith

You just said your discussing your faith. Shouldn't this be a part of it? You know, the virtues of it? Makes some mother fucking sense.

Quote: avoid discussing the concept of eternal punishment for non-Christians with an atheist, which will turn into a debate

yeah, just because you convince any of us that your religion has done YOU good, does not mean we will have to deal with this later. Avoiding it for now will just mean that when the person gets back to this most vile, immoral and garbage of a belief, that its just going to keep anyone reasonable away from your religion anyway. This is not the concept that an infinitely old, powerful,intelligent,loving being would ever come up with. This is what a bunch of stuff people from an ancient, barbaric civilization that thrived on child rape, slavery and knew nothing of the world around them would come up with.

Checkmate!

Quote:When you have a discussion, it is best to speak the same language.
oh yeah! Because if your speaking to a Chinese only speaker, it may confuse them and drive the conversation down if you try speaking in Finnish while trying to convert them with your watered down, wish washy methods of appealing to their emotions!

Quote: This means that you will have to back up and use secular reasoning and vocabulary to establish your theological ideas

This is nearly impossible because the two are too often at opposite ends. Plus, most Christians do not even know what that is anyway. They have either never been exposed to our reasoning and ideas, or only "think" they know what it is based off maybe a couple of people they know or what their priest or the guy from Duck Dynasty tells them it is.

Quote: or an intricate dissection of the creation of the world as discussed in Genesis

STOP! The instant your friend finds out that your religion believes in Creationism, you will had lost regardless of HOW good this conversation goes. If you do, its best to indoctrinate your own children at the age of 1 before they become too old and too intelligent to fall for this sort of thing.

Quote:An atheist may want to hear definitive evidence, not a discussion of your faith, but a discussion of Christianity isn't a debate between "science" and "faith." Treating this like a debate of facts will get you nowhere with a nonbeliever. All you can do is present your faith.

Except that it IS a discussion of facts and science. You are trying to convince us that your "faith", which is believing in something without evidence for no reason what so ever other than the faith itself is the answer to life, the universe and everything and that everything that happened in the bible is exactly the exact way it happened as written.

Quote:Try to understand the perspective of your friend.

OK, that is good.

Quote:Has something happened to cause this person pain in life
This is more Christian apologetic's. It is the Christian reasoning that the only reason we are atheists is that something bad happened to us. NEWS FLASH: Bad things happen to everyone. There are people who had stuff happened to them and their god didn't save them like they believed it would which for the first time, allowed them to examine their book and end result became an atheist. But just assuming this is just proving more of the stereotypical garbage that you all throw at us.

Quote: Or does your friend simply choose to base a belief system on scientific empirical evidence?

Belief...IS NOT A FUCKING CHOICE YOU RETARD!!!!

Quote:If your friend constantly wants to discuss Biblical fallacies, or "Can God make a mountain God can't move?" types of questions, don't engage in debate. All you need to say is "That's not possible to know, and I'm comfortable with that. It doesn't make me any less of a believer."

oh sure! Just take ALL the fun out of the conversation why dontcha!

Quote:Invite your friend to come with you to church.

So then the other people and the priest can bum rush him and persecute, despise and try to convert him on the spot with peer pressure! Gotcha!

Quote:Be persistent. Show the practicality of Christianity through your own successes and friendships with Christians. If your friend truly sees that being a part of a church is like gaining dozens of new family members who demonstrate love and admiration toward others, then your friend will know where to turn in hard times..

except that ANY social group will do this very exact same thing. Why should I chose your church then?

Quote:If you want to pray for your friend, do it in private

Because it will be very creepy and Extremely insulting, even ending your friendship if you just start talking out loud and praying to fix your dysfunctional friend before he burns in hell which is exactly why we KNOW you are trying to do for us which brings us back to the hell argument that pisses us off so much.

[Image: 21297703.jpg]

This was so easy to tear into I could cry.

So, if any Christians ever look on these words who believe these are the correct ways to convert one of us! After reading what I just wrote.

[Image: 4c7.jpg]

Ignore that last word. I couldn't find one with just the first sentence. There was this fluttershy one but the picture wouldn't work.

My Youtube channel if anyone is interested.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEkRdbq...rLEz-0jEHQ
15-04-2015, 12:54 PM
I've seen this page before.

I actually like it.

Is it going to help a lot of Christians convert a lot of atheists? No.

Are the methods it suggests particularly effective? No.

Is it a good way to go about actually getting at questions of what's true and what isn't? No.

But look at what it's actually saying.

DON'T ambush us.

DON'T work religion into other discussions or other business.

DO be friendly with us.

DON'T harangue us with accusations of sin and so forth.

DON'T make assumptions about why we're atheists.

DON'T do the passive-agressive "I'll pray for you" display.

On and on.

While I don't think the methods it recommends are effective in their stated purpose, I do think it would make dealing with Christians trying to convert us FAR more tolerable.

"If I ignore the alternatives, the only option is God; I ignore them; therefore God." -- The Syllogism of Fail
[+] 3 users Like Reltzik's post
15-04-2015, 01:10 PM
That website.Laugh out load

HAHAHAHAHAHA.

What a knee slapper. Laugh out load

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
15-04-2015, 01:12 PM
(15-04-2015 09:09 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  
(15-04-2015 09:02 AM)Ocean theRAPIST Wrote:  Well they've figured out the steps necessary to convert us. With some nice comments on what not to do. My favorite was "Don't try to debate the specifics of the Bible....Treating this like a debate of facts will get you nowhere with a nonbeliever." Debating facts gets us nowhere with believers.

http://m.wikihow.com/Persuade-an-Atheist...-Christian

Step 1. Find an atheist

Step 2. Don't discuss facts

Step 3. ???

Step 4. Prophet

What's Step 3?

Religion is proof that invisible men can obscure your vision.
Visit my blog
Follow me on Twitter @TwoCultSurvivor
15-04-2015, 01:17 PM
(15-04-2015 01:12 PM)TwoCultSurvivor Wrote:  
(15-04-2015 09:09 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  Step 1. Find an atheist

Step 2. Don't discuss facts

Step 3. ???

Step 4. Prophet

What's Step 3?

You don't know step 3? Phhh, amateur Drinking Beverage

Being nice is something stupid people do to hedge their bets
-Rick
[+] 2 users Like TheBeardedDude's post
15-04-2015, 01:17 PM
(15-04-2015 01:12 PM)TwoCultSurvivor Wrote:  What's Step 3?

It's from an old South Park episode. The ??? is never known.

In this case, it's a profit/prophet pun.
[+] 1 user Likes RobbyPants's post
15-04-2015, 01:19 PM
(15-04-2015 01:17 PM)RobbyPants Wrote:  
(15-04-2015 01:12 PM)TwoCultSurvivor Wrote:  What's Step 3?

It's from an old South Park episode. The ??? is never known.

In this case, it's a profit/prophet pun.

The joke went a little south I guess. I parked it in a spot that was too ambiguous.

See what I did there?!!! Thumbsup

Being nice is something stupid people do to hedge their bets
-Rick
[+] 1 user Likes TheBeardedDude's post
15-04-2015, 02:26 PM
(15-04-2015 09:02 AM)Ocean theRAPIST Wrote:  Well they've figured out the steps necessary to convert us. With some nice comments on what not to do. My favorite was "Don't try to debate the specifics of the Bible....Treating this like a debate of facts will get you nowhere with a nonbeliever." Debating facts gets us nowhere with believers.

http://m.wikihow.com/Persuade-an-Atheist...-Christian

Was there anything you found laudatory or commendable on that site?

I'm told atheists on forums like TTA are bitter and angry. If you are not, your posts to me will be respectful, insightful and thoughtful. Prove me wrong by your adherence to decent behavior.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user