Persuade an atheist

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-04-2015, 03:01 PM
RE: Persuade an atheist
(15-04-2015 02:26 PM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  
(15-04-2015 09:02 AM)Ocean theRAPIST Wrote:  Well they've figured out the steps necessary to convert us. With some nice comments on what not to do. My favorite was "Don't try to debate the specifics of the Bible....Treating this like a debate of facts will get you nowhere with a nonbeliever." Debating facts gets us nowhere with believers.

http://m.wikihow.com/Persuade-an-Atheist...-Christian

Was there anything you found laudatory or commendable on that site?

Sure. Basically everything Reltzik said I agree with. But, rarely is that the way it goes. For me personally, it seems like conversations in person with christians start that way but, rarely end that way. On the Internet, it never goes the way described in the link.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
15-04-2015, 07:26 PM
(15-04-2015 12:54 PM)Reltzik Wrote:  I've seen this page before.

I actually like it.

Is it going to help a lot of Christians convert a lot of atheists? No.

Are the methods it suggests particularly effective? No.

Is it a good way to go about actually getting at questions of what's true and what isn't? No.

But look at what it's actually saying.

DON'T ambush us.

DON'T work religion into other discussions or other business.

DO be friendly with us.

DON'T harangue us with accusations of sin and so forth.

DON'T make assumptions about why we're atheists.

DON'T do the passive-agressive "I'll pray for you" display.

On and on.

While I don't think the methods it recommends are effective in their stated purpose, I do think it would make dealing with Christians trying to convert us FAR more tolerable.

I agree. It even tells them to actually listen.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
15-04-2015, 08:29 PM
(15-04-2015 09:02 AM)Ocean theRAPIST Wrote:  Well they've figured out the steps necessary to convert us. With some nice comments on what not to do. My favorite was "Don't try to debate the specifics of the Bible....Treating this like a debate of facts will get you nowhere with a nonbeliever." Debating facts gets us nowhere with believers.

http://m.wikihow.com/Persuade-an-Atheist...-Christian

I don't think that it is the position of a theist, which I'm, to convert an atheist, it is the position of a theist to educate an atheist on the Bible.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
15-04-2015, 08:33 PM
(15-04-2015 10:33 AM)Alex K Wrote:  Facts are from the devil anyhow, and were spoiled by sin after the Fall. Real truth is in faith, which is pure. It's not rocket science, people.

Literally, it's not.

But seriously, do you think that they honestly believe to have the facts on their side but we don't listen? Or did the person who wrote the recommendation notice that they don't have the facts and is hoping noone notices if it doesn't come up?

The collective keeps mentioning facts. What facts are allegedly missing?
15-04-2015, 08:34 PM
The believers game is called "I Win".

Why, you ask? Because they said so. Now kindly take your reason, logic and facts and cram them up your ass you dirty, immoral, hell bound piece of shit.
15-04-2015, 08:36 PM
(15-04-2015 10:34 AM)The Organic Chemist Wrote:  Unlike their god who's love is conditional on believing in him. Believe, or he'll burn your ass.

What is meant here by "burn your ass" and factually, what evidence of this is there?
[+] 1 user Likes The Theist's post
15-04-2015, 08:37 PM
(15-04-2015 08:29 PM)The Theist Wrote:  I don't think that it is the position of a theist, which I'm, to convert an atheist, it is the position of a theist to educate an atheist on the Bible.
I think you'll find that a large number of atheists are plenty knowledgeable about the bible.
As Isaac Asimov said, “Properly read, the Bible is the most potent force for atheism ever conceived.”

(30-03-2015 08:47 PM)Colourcraze Wrote:  IT'S THE HOLY GHOST oooOOOOOOOOOOooooooo
[+] 1 user Likes Russ's post
15-04-2015, 08:43 PM
(15-04-2015 08:37 PM)Russ Wrote:  
(15-04-2015 08:29 PM)The Theist Wrote:  I don't think that it is the position of a theist, which I'm, to convert an atheist, it is the position of a theist to educate an atheist on the Bible.
I think you'll find that a large number of atheists are plenty knowledgeable about the bible.
As Isaac Asimov said, “Properly read, the Bible is the most potent force for atheism ever conceived.”

I think that most atheists tend to look at the Bible through the eyes of the majority of believers. A big mistake, that. Let me just ask you one quick question. Does the soul die? Hint: Ezekiel 18:4
15-04-2015, 08:53 PM (This post was last modified: 15-04-2015 08:57 PM by Russ.)
(15-04-2015 08:43 PM)The Theist Wrote:  
(15-04-2015 08:37 PM)Russ Wrote:  I think you'll find that a large number of atheists are plenty knowledgeable about the bible.

I think that most atheists tend to look at the Bible through the eyes of the majority of believers. A big mistake, that. Let me just ask you one quick question. Does the soul die? Hint: Ezekiel 18:4

Since I've yet to be presented with convincing evidence for the existence of souls, I guess I'd say they don't die, since something that doesn't exist, technically can't die.

(30-03-2015 08:47 PM)Colourcraze Wrote:  IT'S THE HOLY GHOST oooOOOOOOOOOOooooooo
[+] 1 user Likes Russ's post
15-04-2015, 08:53 PM
The final paragraph is interesting (aside from all the misspellings).

"An all too common mistake made by many Christians when broaching the subject of religion to atheists (especialy with an eye to convertion) is that the atheist is coming from a place of ignorance. It is extremely useful to keep in mind that the VAST majority of atheists you are likely to meet were brought up in the Christian faith. Most of them once believed, honestly and whole heartedly, were actively involved with their church and held as true all aspects of the faith. In time these ex-Christians, either through study, personal journey or some other reason came to a place where they simply could not hold their beliefs as true any more. And so they turned away. Frequently they had trouble with some aspect in their religious life/beliefs and so went seeking answers, be that in discussions with their priest, peers, deep and full bible study, philosophy, religious history or even comparative religion and science. So here is a warning. You may believe you are bringing them a fresh and bight mesage of good news, one they are unaware of, but the odds are that they have a far greater and deeper academic knoledge of the subject than you. A knowledge that lead to them dismissing their faith. A knowledge not only of Christianity, but of a large number of other faiths, philosophies, history and science. Also as they have lived it, they know what it is like to be in the light and love of God. Many openly admit they miss the clarity and comunity/cultural aspect of it all, but believe that to feign a belief simply to re-gain all this, is tantamount to bearing false witness. And that, even as atheists, they would find hard to swallow. So be careful, and think more than twice before attempting to convert your atheist friend. Talking with your friend on the subject of God and faith just might expose you to questions you can’t find the answer to.

Big Grin

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 5 users Like Full Circle's post