Persuade an atheist

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-04-2015, 11:00 PM
RE: Persuade an atheist
You claim the Bible says the soul is blood. Okay? I'll just call it blood. Blood is necessary for us to continue living but ill just call it blood, not a soul.

So what was your point?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
15-04-2015, 11:06 PM
(15-04-2015 10:09 PM)Russ Wrote:  How though, do you know the bible is true?
(15-04-2015 10:47 PM)The Theist Wrote:  In the context of this discussion it really isn't relevant at this point. What the soul is may depend upon your beliefs, the point is, the Bible says the soul dies, which is different than what you think it says.

Different than what I think it says? I never commented on what the bible said, I gave my own opinion on the existence of souls. If you wanted me to interpret the bible you would have been much better off asking:
"what does the bible say about the death of souls?"
But you didn't, so I gave you my opinion on souls, and not my interpretation of a bible passage on souls.

(15-04-2015 10:47 PM)The Theist Wrote:  You can't factually say the soul, according to the Bible, doesn't exist, when, well. It obviously does. The confusion comes from not knowing the Bible and the history of Christian teachings having been transmogrified over time.

Again, I never commented on what the bible says, I only gave my opinion on wether or not a soul exists. The confusion comes not from my understanding of the bible, it comes from your inability to clearly and concisely ask a question.

(30-03-2015 08:47 PM)Colourcraze Wrote:  IT'S THE HOLY GHOST oooOOOOOOOOOOooooooo
[+] 2 users Like Russ's post
15-04-2015, 11:22 PM
Okay I went back to where you first jumped in here and mostly I just see you disagreeing with typical Christian beliefs.

The best you can do is explain why you disagree but aside from that you've provided no compelling position why their should be belief in any god.
16-04-2015, 03:32 AM (This post was last modified: 16-04-2015 03:46 AM by The Theist.)
(15-04-2015 11:22 PM)Fodder_From_The_Truth Wrote:  Okay I went back to where you first jumped in here and mostly I just see you disagreeing with typical Christian beliefs.

The best you can do is explain why you disagree but aside from that you've provided no compelling position why their should be belief in any god.

You went back and read where I came in. I said I don't think it is the theist's position to convert the atheist but educate them on what the Bible says. Someone, I believe it was firstly Russ, said that many atheists already know the Bible. I said that they know the Bible as misrepresented by religiosity. I gave the example of the soul, asking if the poster knew whether or not the soul died. I gave a hint in which the Bible clearly says the soul dies. I did this because modern day Christians, influenced by Socrates, believe the soul is immortal, and therefore atheists generally believe there is no such thing as a soul. When the Bible says the soul is the life of any person or animal.

I don't give a fuck what you believe . . . I just think you ought to have the opportunity to get the facts straight.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
16-04-2015, 03:54 AM
(15-04-2015 11:06 PM)Russ Wrote:  Again, I never commented on what the bible says, I only gave my opinion on wether or not a soul exists. The confusion comes not from my understanding of the bible, it comes from your inability to clearly and concisely ask a question.

Okay. Let's start again.

1. Do you think that believers know the Bible very well?

2. Do you think that unbelievers know the Bible very well?

3. Do you think it is possible to know the Bible very well?

4. Do you think it is important for either believers or unbelievers who speak for or against the Bible to know it very well?

5. Are you aware of the history of Christendom having been influenced by pagan philosophy and mythology in the majority of their teachings since the second half of the 4th century C.E.?

6. What, according to the Bible is the soul and what according to religion is the soul and how do they differ?

7. What effect generally does this have on the majority of atheists?

Bonus Question: How much better equipped would the average atheist be regarding their ability to successfully debate the average theist if they were more aware of these discrepancies?
16-04-2015, 03:57 AM
(15-04-2015 11:00 PM)Fodder_From_The_Truth Wrote:  You claim the Bible says the soul is blood. Okay? I'll just call it blood. Blood is necessary for us to continue living but ill just call it blood, not a soul.

So what was your point?

I'm saying that you wouldn't know the truth, if, like a flea, it bit you on your ass and sucked your blood.
16-04-2015, 04:27 AM
(16-04-2015 03:32 AM)The Theist Wrote:  I don't give a fuck what you believe . . . I just think you ought to have the opportunity to get the facts straight.

Haha, "facts". The fact is that your book says whatever you want it to say.

Quantum Physics: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
16-04-2015, 04:28 AM
(16-04-2015 04:27 AM)Alex K Wrote:  
(16-04-2015 03:32 AM)The Theist Wrote:  I don't give a fuck what you believe . . . I just think you ought to have the opportunity to get the facts straight.

Haha, "facts". The fact is that your book says whatever you want it to say.

Very well. Let's test that theory. Make the Bible say that the soul is immortal. Let's see you then.
16-04-2015, 04:33 AM
(15-04-2015 09:02 AM)Ocean theRAPIST Wrote:  Well they've figured out the steps necessary to convert us. With some nice comments on what not to do. My favorite was "Don't try to debate the specifics of the Bible....Treating this like a debate of facts will get you nowhere with a nonbeliever." Debating facts gets us nowhere with believers.

http://m.wikihow.com/Persuade-an-Atheist...-Christian

My favorite piece of advice that I saw on one of those kind of web sites is: pretend to be interested in what the atheist has to say.

Do not lose your knowledge that man's proper estate is an upright posture, an intransigent mind and a step that travels unlimited roads. - Ayn Rand.

Don't sacrifice for me, live for yourself! - Me

The only alternative to Objectivism is some form of Subjectivism. - Dawson Bethrick
[+] 1 user Likes true scotsman's post
16-04-2015, 04:50 AM
(16-04-2015 04:28 AM)The Theist Wrote:  
(16-04-2015 04:27 AM)Alex K Wrote:  Haha, "facts". The fact is that your book says whatever you want it to say.

Very well. Let's test that theory. Make the Bible say that the soul is immortal. Let's see you then.

soul |səʊl|
noun
1 the spiritual or immaterial part of a human being or animal, regarded as immortal.

“For the Lord himself shall descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel, and with the trump of God: and the dead in Christ shall rise first: then we which are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds, to meet the Lord in the air: and so shall we ever be with the Lord.” (1 Thess. 4; 16–18, KJV.)