Persuade an atheist

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-04-2015, 04:50 AM
RE: Persuade an atheist
(15-04-2015 10:57 PM)The Theist Wrote:  
(15-04-2015 10:50 PM)Russ Wrote:  All I use the bible for is to show why I don't believe in the christian flavor of god.
Take away the bible, and I'm still an atheist. The reason being there is nothing out there that suggests some sentient being created everything, even less evidence is there for a sentient being that is also omnipotent, omnibenevolent, and omnipresent.

Well, the omni stuff is primarily religious nonsense as well, but that's another thread. There is no evidence, as you say, that a sentient being created everything because there was no one, except the spirit creatures in heaven, who witnessed it. Unless you learn the Bible and establish a trust there and consider it trustworthy to have made accurate claims regarding said creation. Of course, if you want to question said claims, you also have to learn the Bible to refute those claims.

Otherwise your just a smart ass with a chip on your shoulder. And wrong.

There's no obligation, on our part, to refute the arbitrary. It should properly be dismissed without consideration.

Do not lose your knowledge that man's proper estate is an upright posture, an intransigent mind and a step that travels unlimited roads. - Ayn Rand.

Don't sacrifice for me, live for yourself! - Me

The only alternative to Objectivism is some form of Subjectivism. - Dawson Bethrick
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes true scotsman's post
16-04-2015, 04:58 AM
(16-04-2015 04:33 AM)true scotsman Wrote:  My favorite piece of advice that I saw on one of those kind of web sites is: pretend to be interested in what the atheist has to say.

I remember reading that somewhere as well, their honesty is somewhat lacking sometimes (all the time) isn't it?

I, on the other hand, am much more honest in that I don't pretend at all to be interested in what your average xtian has to say. In fact, most of the time, I don't give a flying fuck.

Using Tapatalk
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
16-04-2015, 05:03 AM
(16-04-2015 04:28 AM)The Theist Wrote:  
(16-04-2015 04:27 AM)Alex K Wrote:  Haha, "facts". The fact is that your book says whatever you want it to say.

Very well. Let's test that theory. Make the Bible say that the soul is immortal. Let's see you then.

Matthew 10:28 And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.
16-04-2015, 05:11 AM
(16-04-2015 04:50 AM)true scotsman Wrote:  There's no obligation, on our part, to refute the arbitrary. It should properly be dismissed without consideration.

That's the spirit! Either ignore it until it goes away or replace it with your own arbitrariness. So long as you do it in ignorance.
16-04-2015, 05:12 AM
(16-04-2015 04:28 AM)The Theist Wrote:  
(16-04-2015 04:27 AM)Alex K Wrote:  Haha, "facts". The fact is that your book says whatever you want it to say.

Very well. Let's test that theory. Make the Bible say that the soul is immortal. Let's see you then.

Revelation 20:4 "And I saw thrones, and they sat upon them, and judgment was given unto them: and I saw the souls of them that were beheaded for the witness of Jesus, and for the word of God, and which had not worshipped the beast, neither his image, neither had received his mark upon their foreheads, or in their hands; and they lived and reigned with Christ a thousand years."
16-04-2015, 05:12 AM
(16-04-2015 05:03 AM)Mark Fulton Wrote:  
(16-04-2015 04:28 AM)The Theist Wrote:  Very well. Let's test that theory. Make the Bible say that the soul is immortal. Let's see you then.

Matthew 10:28 And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.

Mark. Your giving a passage which clearly states the soul dies and can be destroyed in order to support the immortal soul.
16-04-2015, 05:15 AM
(16-04-2015 04:50 AM)Mark Fulton Wrote:  soul |səʊl|
noun
1 the spiritual or immaterial part of a human being or animal, regarded as immortal.

“For the Lord himself shall descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel, and with the trump of God: and the dead in Christ shall rise first: then we which are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds, to meet the Lord in the air: and so shall we ever be with the Lord.” (1 Thess. 4; 16–18, KJV.)

To whom is this referring, and how does it establish that the soul is immortal?
16-04-2015, 05:16 AM
(16-04-2015 05:12 AM)Mark Fulton Wrote:  Revelation 20:4 "And I saw thrones, and they sat upon them, and judgment was given unto them: and I saw the souls of them that were beheaded for the witness of Jesus, and for the word of God, and which had not worshipped the beast, neither his image, neither had received his mark upon their foreheads, or in their hands; and they lived and reigned with Christ a thousand years."

Again. To whom does this refer and how does it establish that the Bible suggests the soul is immortal?
16-04-2015, 05:29 AM
(16-04-2015 05:12 AM)The Theist Wrote:  
(16-04-2015 05:03 AM)Mark Fulton Wrote:  Matthew 10:28 And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.

Mark. Your giving a passage which clearly states the soul dies and can be destroyed in order to support the immortal soul.

The correct English is "you're."

The Bible also says "...which kill the body but are not able to kill the soul..."

Please explain how a "soul" lives on after a person has been beheaded, as in Revelations, yet is not to be considered "immortal."

immortal |ɪˈmɔːt(ə)l|
adjective
living forever; never dying or decaying: our mortal bodies are inhabited by immortal souls.

Quite clearly, you can make your babble say whatever you want it to say, as has already been pointed out to you.Drinking Beverage
16-04-2015, 05:29 AM
The thing is, its their religion that makes me an atheist.
My opinion of your quackery is like a flawless diamond.

Pressure and time will give rise to reason.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
Find all posts by this user