Persuading your dreams

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-09-2011, 10:48 PM
Persuading your dreams
To be or not to be... Wink

Is It better to pursue your life's dreams and realize them, or to keep them a sweet dream forever.

Le's say you have a certain idea for a dream-job but it would require for you to turn your life upside down. Should you do it? After all, that dream-job might be not all that great once you have it. Are realizable dreams just a lie from your emotions to your rational mind?

Observer

Agnostic atheist
Secular humanist
Emotional rationalist
Disclaimer: Don’t mix the personal opinion above with the absolute and objective truth. Remember to think for yourself. Thank you.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
09-09-2011, 04:26 AM
RE: Persuading your dreams
For me, I would aim to pursue my dreams, instead of letting it be a thought that will haunt me forever. My path for knowledge has been ruined by my fears, the fear to take up a challenge and the fear to experience new environments. My fears held me back, and once I realised what was my problem, it was too late. So I say, pursue your dreams while you still can, and if you realise that your pursuit is futile, at least you know you did your best.

Welcome to science. You're gonna like it here - Phil Plait

Have you ever tried taking a comfort blanket away from a small child? - DLJ
09-09-2011, 07:23 AM

(08-09-2011 10:48 PM)The_observer Wrote:  Is It better to pursue your life's dreams and realize them, or to keep them a sweet dream forever.

You know the aphorism: "if god really wants to punish you, he will grant you your wish!"

And there is truth in it in many cases.

I have known people who were totally confused about what would make them happy, they kept going after the wrong things (or the wrong mate) and were disappointed again and again.

On the other hand, most of us know about missed opportunities because we thought our dreams were unrealistic.

My biggest regret is not staying with academia (too little money, too much interference, jealousy, backbiting etc., etc.). Too late I found out that the corporate world is even worse, so I got into consulting. More money, a lot more independence, no career to worry about, manageable attitude of what I called "Olympian detachment"

No matter how clever we are and how well we think we know ourselves and the world, I think the best we can hope for is a good compromise.
Quote this message in a reply
09-09-2011, 10:30 AM
I have persued, achieved, and subsequently abandoned many dreams. I've never regretted a single one either. The way I see it, you persue a dream (for me that dream needs to be well considered and defined first), then if it ain't all you hoped, that's cool, because there are a whole lot of other dreams you are also persuing at any given time.

Trust me, I have done my share of drastic life changes in the persuit of dreams. (I am a born and raised city boy, turned farmer. Doesn't get more drastic than that) Just because I have suffered along the way doesn't mean I regret the journey. It made me who I am today, and I don't think I'm a half bad guy. The dreams I continue to persue will make me who I am tomorrow, and my hope is that it will make me better.

I say chase them. If they don't turn out the way you wished, figure out how to learn from it and start chasing the next dream.

So many cats, so few good recipes.
[+] 1 user Likes Stark Raving's post
09-09-2011, 02:38 PM
How would you truely know without trying???

For no matter how much I use these symbols, to describe symptoms of my existence.
You are your own emphasis.
So I say nothing.

-Bemore.
10-09-2011, 11:14 AM
(09-09-2011 02:38 PM)bemore Wrote:  How would you truely know without trying???
I won't... I know that.

The reason I ask is to check whether there is something about it that I'm missing...

Observer

Agnostic atheist
Secular humanist
Emotional rationalist
Disclaimer: Don’t mix the personal opinion above with the absolute and objective truth. Remember to think for yourself. Thank you.
11-09-2011, 07:48 PM
(08-09-2011 10:48 PM)The_observer Wrote:  To be or not to be... Wink

Is It better to pursue your life's dreams and realize them, or to keep them a sweet dream forever.

Le's say you have a certain idea for a dream-job but it would require for you to turn your life upside down. Should you do it? After all, that dream-job might be not all that great once you have it. Are realizable dreams just a lie from your emotions to your rational mind?

Always go for your dreams!

I've had a long and amazingly wonderful life by always going for my dreams. They don't always turn out to be how you expected, but how will you know if you don't try?

Of course, I've had disappointments, but they have been far outweighed by the successes. My life has been turned upside down many times by the pursuit of my dreams. You only get one stab at this thing called life and getting to the end of it having regrets would not be satisfying to me.

I don't think that dreams are a lie to your emotions because I feel that the dream, if you want it enough becomes rational.

"To think of what the world has suffered from superstition, from religion, from the worship of beast and stone and god, is
almost enough to make one insane."

Robert G. Ingersoll