Pessimistic? Do these things exist?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-05-2017, 12:29 PM
RE: Pessimistic? Do these things exist?
I am a born cynic. I do see good in people and life, but man, my inclination is to not fully trust most people.

I trust animals more than people. I guess that makes me a pessimist?

"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu."

[Image: parodia-michal-aniol-flying-spaghetti-monster.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
15-05-2017, 12:37 PM
How can you *not* trust this wittle cuddly face? Drinking Beverage

[Image: hqdefault.jpg]

A weaned harbor seal pup was resting onshore when an untagged male sea otter approached it, grasped it with its teeth and forepaws, bit it on the nose, and flipped it over. The harbor seal moved toward the water with the sea otter following closely. Once in the water, the sea otter gripped the harbor seal's head with its forepaws and repeatedly bit it on the nose, causing a deep laceration. The sea otter and pup rolled violently in the water for approximately 15 min, while the pup struggled to free itself from the sea otter's grasp. Finally, the sea otter positioned itself dorsal to the pup's smaller body while grasping it by the head and holding it underwater in a position typical of mating sea otters. As the sea otter thrust his pelvis, his penis was extruded and intromission was observed. At 105 min into the encounter, the sea otter released the pup, now dead, and began grooming.

On some occasions, they further note, otters would guard and copulate with the seals long after their victims had died -– as much as seven days afterward, in fact.

Bizarre as this behavior may seem, Harris and her co-authors point out that it is not dissimilar to standard sea otter mating protocol, in which males will often approach the female from behind, grip her around the chest with his forepaws, and grasp her nose or the side of her face with his teeth. Although the female frequently resists, generally the two eventually spin in the water, the male behind the female, until mating is complete. Here, too, the encounters may prove fatal for the female, either as a result of wounds inflicted from the male's bites and scratches or because of drowning. Harris and colleagues describe one instance in which a male otter held a struggling female underwater until her body became limp and then copulated with her several times. Indeed, trauma related to mating was responsible for 11 percent of deaths in fresh southern sea otter carcasses examined between 2000 and 2003.

And don't even get me started on dolphins...

All things considered, I think I'll go with my own species, all our faults notwithstanding.

(I have another one: "I'm a professional cynic, but my heart's not in it.")

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
15-05-2017, 12:48 PM
(15-05-2017 12:29 PM)ShadowProject Wrote:  I am a born cynic. I do see good in people and life, but man, my inclination is to not fully trust most people.

I trust animals more than people. I guess that makes me a pessimist?

Doesn't make you a pessimist at all. I trust animals more than people also.

I am an optimist, started new ventures and followed new ideas all my life.

Hubby was a pessimist and it was a great thing - I would come up with plans and he would tell me all the reasons why they would not work. I'd refine my plans, taking his input, and go ahead. He would wring his hands and I would push ahead with a good plan that worked.

Over the decades he learned to trust me - until I decided to tear down the house and build a new one. Oh, how it all would go wrong!!! A few years later we both enjoyed the new house... Tongue

It worked, his caveats were usually helpful and without my optimistic initiative we would have never done anything.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
15-05-2017, 12:57 PM
Note to self: don't reincarnate as a sea otter.

"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu."

[Image: parodia-michal-aniol-flying-spaghetti-monster.jpg]
15-05-2017, 01:02 PM
(15-05-2017 12:57 PM)ShadowProject Wrote:  Note to self: don't reincarnate as a sea otter.

Don't you mean like a seal pup? Tongue

[+] 1 user Likes Vera's post
15-05-2017, 01:04 PM
Perhaps it is good to be a mixed batch of cynic and Pollyanna. I always expect the best of people until they prove me wrong. I am often disappointed by my expectations, yet I continue to hold out hope that I won't be.

Yet...I am paranoid to a certain degree and skeptical of what sounds to good to be true or even modestly good.

I guess it all depends upon ones life experience.

Nah...I am a Pollyanna; I just have to face the facts. "I'll never give up Hope. He's my favorite radio star."

-Jeanne

"The Ox is slow, but the Earth is patient."
[+] 1 user Likes Jeanne's post
15-05-2017, 01:09 PM
(15-05-2017 12:15 PM)Vera Wrote:  And what *are* you insinuating with those be-scarfed, miserable, Eastern-European-looking folk? Dodgy

Angel

Quote:Seriously, what is this? Only 12 Chairs I've ever heard of is an awesome book (which me and my family quote quite a bit Yes )

It's a Mel Brooks adaptation of that book

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 1 user Likes unfogged's post
15-05-2017, 01:30 PM
It really just depends on my mood. Sometimes I'm pessimistic, other times I'm optimistic.

15-05-2017, 01:31 PM
Ha, you live and learn, an American version of Ilf and Petrov, who would've thunk it.

We are partial to the Golden Calf in my family.

“Oh, you thought? So you think sometimes, is that it? You’re a thinker?What’s your name, Great Thinker? Spinoza? Jean-Jacques Rousseau? Marcus Aurelius?”

And my favourite bit, about Rio de Janeiro being the crystal dream of his childhood which others should keep their dirty paws off of. And when something isn't quite what Ostap expected it, he (and we at home) would go: "This is no Rio de Janeiro. This is much worse". For extra points I actually said it *in* Rio once Big Grin )

[Image: 14018553985427.gif]

15-05-2017, 01:33 PM
I'm generally an optimist, which is why I read the OP and thought, "I bet there's an upside to being a pessimist."

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 4 users Like RocketSurgeon76's post