Pessimistic? Do these things exist?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-05-2017, 05:41 AM
RE: Pessimistic? Do these things exist?
I think people confuse pessimism with realism.

Being pessimistic, to me at least, is just being overly negative about EVERYTHING. "what a cup of tea John?" "No, cause it'll be crap if you make it", for example. Realism on the other hand, is just pointing out the massive flaws in the stuff people say, because they haven't thought it over properly.

People often say I'm very pessimistic, although I think it's because they think of things and not really explore all the options before saying it lol. I often just say "yes" to people, and then let them work out why it's not going to work later on.

"I don't do magic, Morty, I do science. One takes brains, the other takes dark eye liner" - Rick
I now sell T-Shirts Here! Please Check it out Thumbsup
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like OakTree500's post
16-05-2017, 07:44 AM
I think OakTree500 has it right: pessimism is too often confused with realism.

I look at it this way: the world, people, situations, life in general, tends to want to fall apart, that is to increase entropy (to go from an ordered state to a disordered state).

In order to get things to "line up" correctly - that is, to keep things in an ordered state - one must expend energy.

If you don't maintain your house, it will fall apart.

If you don't maintain your car, it will fall apart.

If you don't cut your grass, weed your garden, pay your bills and taxes, manage your people or keep on top of your bank account, things will naturally go to shit.

Realism is recognition that an energy expenditure is required to keep things orderly. Some see that recognition as pessimistic, but it's not; it's just a fact of life.

Found this old, old article which is an amusing look at The Joy of Pessimism: You're usually right.
[+] 1 user Likes Heath_Tierney's post
16-05-2017, 08:02 AM
(16-05-2017 05:41 AM)OakTree500 Wrote:  I think people confuse pessimism with realism.

Being pessimistic, to me at least, is just being overly negative about EVERYTHING. "what a cup of tea John?" "No, cause it'll be crap if you make it", for example. Realism on the other hand, is just pointing out the massive flaws in the stuff people say, because they haven't thought it over properly.

People often say I'm very pessimistic, although I think it's because they think of things and not really explore all the options before saying it lol. I often just say "yes" to people, and then let them work out why it's not going to work later on.

I think there's a fine line between being a realist and being a pessimist. I do know people who are constantly negative about literally everything. Negativity is the theme and it's not about preventing disaster from occurring. They are just negative people in general.

I also think you can be an optimist and a realist at the same time. I feel that I fall into this category as I'm a highly analytical person and yet, I have an upbeat outlook on life. I'm able to balance the two.
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
16-05-2017, 08:31 AM
oh yeah, there is a fine line to walk, and for the most part I am optimistic about most things really, although I feel like I'm being the "grumpy one" for saying no to things sometimes, as I see things in realistic way.

"I don't do magic, Morty, I do science. One takes brains, the other takes dark eye liner" - Rick
[+] 1 user Likes OakTree500's post
16-05-2017, 08:33 AM
(16-05-2017 05:41 AM)OakTree500 Wrote:  I think people confuse pessimism with realism.

The big problem I have with people being "optimistic" is that it forces you to point out the negatives to be accurate to compensate. In other words, it almost automatically casts anyone who is honest as the villian.
16-05-2017, 08:42 AM
(16-05-2017 08:33 AM)Thoreauvian Wrote:  

The big problem I have with people being "optimistic" is that it forces you to point out the negatives to be accurate to compensate. In other words, it almost automatically casts anyone who is honest as the villian.
Oh man, the amount of times I've been in the bad books with my wife over the years all because I have to point out the "real life" aspects of some of her plans. Laugh out load Get called all names under the sun and everything, until she later works it out for herself haha.

"Lets move house/move area/go on holiday"
"But what about [X, Y and Z]?"
"YOU SONOFABITCH"

Laugh out load

[+] 2 users Like OakTree500's post
16-05-2017, 08:45 AM
(16-05-2017 08:33 AM)Thoreauvian Wrote:  

I think there is a gradient of optimism. I do think some people can be too optimistic, to the point of not looking ahead for any potential pitfalls...ever. On the other hand, there are optimists, who are able to balance potential pitfalls while allowing for a positive outlook on things. I fall into the second category.

I'm an optimist and I do like realists who point out something I may not have considered. I consider them to be an asset. People who have a negative outlook on everything...on literally everything...I have a hard time being around because it has more to do with their negativity and very little to do with preventing potential pitfalls.
[+] 2 users Like jennybee's post
16-05-2017, 10:31 AM
I'm naturally more a realist, I always consider the worst case scenario as probable, then no big surprise if it happens. I can tend to be pessimistic, depending on my mood, like when I feel down, I see things differently and the worst case scenario suddenly not only seems probable, but also very likely. Though these are what I tend to do naturally, I try to force myself to be a bit more optimistic sometimes, trying to see the positive outcome of a situation as the most probable, otherwise I can get discouraged and just don't want to engage in doing anything.
[+] 1 user Likes Sturm's post
16-05-2017, 12:09 PM
What is Pessimism, optimism? Is it a predisposed way of analysing situation before
we act? OR is it an attitute? OR personality trait ? What do you think it is.