Peter Hitchens

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-08-2012, 03:19 PM
RE: Peter Hitchens
(26-08-2012 03:12 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  What word would you prefer I use to express my personal opinion?

I don't know what thoughts are in your mind. Grab a thesaurus. Dodgy

A bully is someone who verbally or physically assaults someone who is weaker than themselves... because that assault can't be returned. They get pleasure from the one-sidedness of the interaction.

If someone is simply uncompromising with those who disagree with them... they're not being a bully. Unkind, possibly, but kindness isn't a mandatory position and those that they're being unkind to are not limited in their ability to return that unkindness.

Playing the "bully" card is a form of sympathy-garnering.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Red Celt's post
26-08-2012, 03:36 PM
Peter Hitchens
I stand by my word, bully.

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
Find all posts by this user
26-08-2012, 03:42 PM
(26-08-2012 03:36 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  I stand by my word, bully.

Only if you believe that the targets of his criticism are too witless to defend themselves.

Otherwise, you are misusing the word.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
26-08-2012, 03:45 PM
(26-08-2012 03:12 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  
(26-08-2012 03:02 PM)Red Celt Wrote:  The word "bully" is such a mis-used word in modernity.

What word would you prefer I use to express my personal opinion?

Doofus?
Dipstick?
Doodles?

Bury me with my guns on, so when I reach the other side - I can show him what it feels like to die.
Bury me with my guns on, so when I'm cast out of the sky, I can shoot the devil right between the eyes.
[+] 1 user Likes Question's post
26-08-2012, 03:45 PM
Peter Hitchens
Stop bullying me because you don't like my word choice.

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
26-08-2012, 04:15 PM
(26-08-2012 03:45 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  Stop bullying me because you don't like my word choice.

Bangin

I don't dislike your word choice. I merely point out that it is incorrect.

26-08-2012, 04:16 PM
Bully Beat_stick

~Izel
26-08-2012, 04:17 PM
(26-08-2012 03:45 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  Stop bullying me because you don't like my word choice.

You're going for humour, here, but it isn't shared. You know why? Because bullying really is a problem (particularly) in schools around the world. Kids are killing themselves because they can't cope with the daily routine of being the victim of a bully.

It is a real problem that requires a real answer.

That answer is less likely to come (and the whole term of "bully" is weakened) because people who can't win an argument through rational means resort to "stop being a bully!" in an effort to gain sympathy and somehow exit the situation without looking like the ejected flotsam of a badly-lost argument, which is exactly what they are.
26-08-2012, 04:20 PM
(26-08-2012 04:17 PM)Red Celt Wrote:  

You're going for humour, here, but it isn't shared. You know why? Because bullying really is a problem (particularly) in schools around the world. Kids are killing themselves because they can't cope with the daily routine of being the victim of a bully.

It is a real problem that requires a real answer.

That answer is less likely to come (and the whole term of "bully" is weakened) because people who can't win an argument through rational means resort to "stop being a bully!" in an effort to gain sympathy and somehow exit the situation without looking like the ejected flotsam of a badly-lost argument, which is exactly what they are.

My personal opinion was Christopher Hitchens was a fucking drunk asshole who asserted his intellect in a way that was demeaning to his opponents. And his writing was pedantic and frankly boring.

Satisfied?

~Izel
26-08-2012, 04:23 PM
(26-08-2012 04:16 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  Bully Beat_stick

Abuse of power.Censored