Petition for Removal of "In God We Trust"

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-08-2012, 01:07 PM
Petition for Removal of "In God We Trust"
Remove "In God We Trust" from our currency and remove "under God" from the Pledge of Allegiance.

Having God on our currency and in our Pledge of Allegiance fuels the false belief that the United States is a Christian nation. As declared in the Treaty of Tripoli, 1796, "...the Government of the United States of America is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion." This was signed by president John Adams. Having God in our currency and in our Pledge of Allegiance directly disrespects those among us who are not of the Christian faith, and it should be removed.

I hope this is the right place for this thread since it involves government and politics, but anyways please sign this petition in order to warrant this important change!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
26-08-2012, 02:51 PM
RE: Petition for Removal of "In God We Trust"
I will probably sign it.. but I don't see that issue being settled anytime soon by any means.

Years ago, probably around the 50s, the Supreme Court ruled that the phrase, "In God We Trust" doesn't really mean anything.(Because to Christians its just a pointless comment.) They said it's just a common term that is without religious meaning, therefore not supporting any religion.

That's the key reasons that is excepted.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
26-08-2012, 05:36 PM
(26-08-2012 01:07 PM)khaos Wrote:  ...
I hope this is the right place for this thread since it involves government and politics, but anyways please sign this petition in order to warrant this important change![/align]

I think someone else started another thread for this subject.

28-08-2012, 04:21 PM
I'll sign it but I don't think that it's possible to get all 18,441 signatures by September the second... Sad

"Leave the atom alone."
-E.Y. Harburgh
25-09-2012, 08:37 AM
Unfortunately I'm late...
I guess I just have some thoughts, which I'm sure all of you already know..
America is not ready to be open-minded. As a country we've always been very, very slow at accepting what should be accepted without thought or reason.

We still don't even give perfectly good (gay) human beings basic human rights(marriage) on a nationwide level.
It took us until 1964 to even accept people of different races to go to school together.
For the land of the free, it's pretty discriminatory.

I'm with you, though. Tired of Christianity being the basis of nearly everything in America.
If I want to go to a baseball game, why do I need to listen to you pray?
Why, when I want to participate in the pledge of allegiance, I have to "put my trust" in a God I don't even believe exists.

I thought America was founded on freedom of religious prosecution? Wasn't it where so many people looked for refuge so they could have religious freedom? Yet Christianity is still almost forced upon the whole country because it's the common consensus.
What about the rest of us? Sad

"I don't believe in an afterlife, so I don't have to spend my whole life fearing hell, or fearing heaven even more. For whatever the tortures of hell, I think the boredom of heaven would be even worse."
25-09-2012, 08:49 AM
"The petition you are trying to access has expired, because it failed to meet the signature threshold."

I rest my case. Drinking Beverage

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
27-09-2012, 04:53 AM
I will not be signing it. I think it is a bad idea. I do believe christianity is wrong, just like any other religion. That being said, we need them to help fight the threat Islam poses to our freedom. If they are feeling beaten, they won't be in the mood to fight. This will be a good next step after we get rid of the problems that islam is causing. I will sign it then if you do it again.
27-09-2012, 07:50 PM
(27-09-2012 04:53 AM)Birdguy1979 Wrote:  I will not be signing it. I think it is a bad idea. I do believe christianity is wrong, just like any other religion. That being said, we need them to help fight the threat Islam poses to our freedom. If they are feeling beaten, they won't be in the mood to fight. This will be a good next step after we get rid of the problems that islam is causing. I will sign it then if you do it again.

because only Christians hate Islam??

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
Now with 40% more awesome.
28-09-2012, 01:11 AM
(27-09-2012 07:50 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  
(27-09-2012 04:53 AM)Birdguy1979 Wrote:  I will not be signing it. I think it is a bad idea. I do believe christianity is wrong, just like any other religion. That being said, we need them to help fight the threat Islam poses to our freedom. If they are feeling beaten, they won't be in the mood to fight. This will be a good next step after we get rid of the problems that islam is causing. I will sign it then if you do it again.

because only Christians hate Islam??

No, because islam outnumbers active atheists. The jews keep to themselves, so that makes christians the most likely ally we have for fighting Islam.
28-09-2012, 07:24 AM
(28-09-2012 01:11 AM)Birdguy1979 Wrote:  
(27-09-2012 07:50 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  because only Christians hate Islam??

No, because islam outnumbers active atheists. The jews keep to themselves, so that makes christians the most likely ally we have for fighting Islam.

In the world yes..but how does changing a religious idea of God on money or as a motto to the United States make this an impact. The Muslim population of the US is less than 1%. It's around .08... Some polls have atheists/agnostics in double digits around 12% of the United States population. Irreligious people are higher up on the list.. but when someone openly admits to being an atheist, that's a form of being active, and that number is above 1%

I'm not sure why the US needs this Christian alliance in fighting Islam. If you are talking about it on a world scale... I can't see how that changes anything either way. Will it make Islamic nations more angry at the United States? Perhaps, but so would less interference in forms of fighting them.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson