Petition to examine bans on Atheists in office.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-01-2013, 11:50 AM
RE: Petition to examine bans on Atheists in office.
(25-01-2013 11:48 AM)DLJ Wrote:  
(25-01-2013 11:18 AM)Vosur Wrote:  I doubt that they are going to reach 100,000 singers. It's worth a try anyway, I guess. Consider

... but a few hundred in harmony might be just as good.

Drinking Beverage

(24-01-2013 05:44 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  ... It makes me sick and embarrassed to be an American.

You're American? Ewwww!

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
25-01-2013, 11:52 AM
(25-01-2013 11:48 AM)DLJ Wrote:  
(25-01-2013 11:18 AM)Vosur Wrote:  I doubt that they are going to reach 100,000 singers. It's worth a try anyway, I guess. Consider

... but a few hundred in harmony might be just as good.

Drinking Beverage
Thanks, that was killing me but I didn't want to be the first one to say anything...

"Whores perform the same function as priests, but far more thoroughly." - Robert A. Heinlein
[+] 1 user Likes Aseptic Skeptic's post
25-01-2013, 12:33 PM (This post was last modified: 25-01-2013 12:42 PM by Momsurroundedbyboys.)
(24-01-2013 05:50 PM)Aseptic Skeptic Wrote:  No, no, don't be embarrassed to be an American. This is NOT a Christian nation. America stands for many things. Americans hold many truths to be self-evident. Some of them are bat-shit crazy religions that need to go right out with the garbage, but many of are real and valuable and worthwhile.

Let it make you sick. Be revolted. Be outraged. But don't make the mistake of generalizing that all Americans are like this, any more than you want Christians to make the mistake of generalizing that all atheists are immoral devil worshippers.

Just read a new Mexico law maker wants women to charged if they were raped and take a morning after pill or obtain and abortion, for destroying (tampering) evidence.

Yea, embarrassed fits.

http://gawker.com/5978705/gop-lawmaker-i...-tampering

Wind's in the east, a mist coming in
Like something is brewing and about to begin
Can't put my finger on what lies in store
but I feel what's to happen has happened before...

25-01-2013, 12:42 PM
(25-01-2013 12:33 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(24-01-2013 05:50 PM)Aseptic Skeptic Wrote:  No, no, don't be embarrassed to be an American. This is NOT a Christian nation. America stands for many things. Americans hold many truths to be self-evident. Some of them are bat-shit crazy religions that need to go right out with the garbage, but many of are real and valuable and worthwhile.

Let it make you sick. Be revolted. Be outraged. But don't make the mistake of generalizing that all Americans are like this, any more than you want Christians to make the mistake of generalizing that all atheists are immoral devil worshippers.

Just read a new Mexico law maker wants women to arrested if they were raped and take a morning after pill, for destroying evidence.

Yea, embarrassed fits.
That's funny. And sad. How the hell did this idiot get elected? If he or she is this stupid about this point, I'm assuming that s/he is equally stupid about other points. OK, maybe I shouldn't assume. But really? What evidence is being destroyed? DNA evidence that might be present if the woman gets pregnant and delivers the rapist's child?

What if that woman goes right from the rape to the police and they collect DNA evidence old school, you know, with swabs and such? Now can she take the pill?

Still doesn't embarrass me that I live in the same country. There's stupid people in every country. It does make me a bit sad that our electoral process cannot weed out these idiots a little better. On the other hand, the smart politicians often seem to be the most untrustworthy, two-faced, self-serving politicians of the lot, so it's hard to say which extreme is worse.

Instead of embarrassed, I want to do something about it. Sadly, I'm too disenfranchised to believe that I can. So I end up just dejected that I'm stuck with this kind of idiocy. On the plus side, dejection is not embarrassment.

"Whores perform the same function as priests, but far more thoroughly." - Robert A. Heinlein
25-01-2013, 01:06 PM
(25-01-2013 12:42 PM)Aseptic Skeptic Wrote:  
(25-01-2013 12:33 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  Just read a new Mexico law maker wants women to arrested if they were raped and take a morning after pill, for destroying evidence.

Yea, embarrassed fits.
That's funny. And sad. How the hell did this idiot get elected? If he or she is this stupid about this point, I'm assuming that s/he is equally stupid about other points. OK, maybe I shouldn't assume. But really? What evidence is being destroyed? DNA evidence that might be present if the woman gets pregnant and delivers the rapist's child?

What if that woman goes right from the rape to the police and they collect DNA evidence old school, you know, with swabs and such? Now can she take the pill?

Still doesn't embarrass me that I live in the same country. There's stupid people in every country. It does make me a bit sad that our electoral process cannot weed out these idiots a little better. On the other hand, the smart politicians often seem to be the most untrustworthy, two-faced, self-serving politicians of the lot, so it's hard to say which extreme is worse.

Instead of embarrassed, I want to do something about it. Sadly, I'm too disenfranchised to believe that I can. So I end up just dejected that I'm stuck with this kind of idiocy. On the plus side, dejection is not embarrassment.

Yea (updated my comment and added a link) its just I'm so tired of the batshit crazy ideals that no one can convince me aren't driven by religion or religious belief. Everytime I begin to think good outweighs crazy..I'm reminded by stories like this one.
I can only hope that the voters in this person's district will see the stupidity and vote her out when her term is up. But I really don't have faith that will happen. People are too complacent and apathetic when it comes to voting. They generally vote for the name they recognize.

Wind's in the east, a mist coming in
Like something is brewing and about to begin
Can't put my finger on what lies in store
but I feel what's to happen has happened before...

25-01-2013, 01:47 PM (This post was last modified: 25-01-2013 02:53 PM by GirlyMan.)
All right, I looked into what the fuck's wrong with my otherwise extremely liberal home State of the People's Republic of Maryland and see that it's in Maryland's Constitution Declaration of Rights Article 37: "That no religious test ought ever to be required as a qualification for any office of profit or trust in this State, other than a declaration of belief in the existence of God;"

And apparently I was mistaken when I called it a State issue. The Supreme Court has already ruled in Torcaso v. Watkins that the requirement violates the First and Fourteenth Amendments to the United States Constitution. So the requirement in Maryland as well as the other 6 States is effectively unenforceable and exposes the State to litigation it will invariably lose if it tries. And this petition is also effectively moot as a consequence.

So now I think I'm gonna look into how to get the unenforceable unconstitutional language removed from Maryland's Constitution. It's an embarrassment at best.

Thanks again, WaterRat!

Breathing - it's more art than science.
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
Thumbs Down Petition to remove religious tax-exempt status Jeffasaurus 39 550 17-07-2014 09:10 PM
Last Post: Hoops
  Josh Tolly show is looking for atheists T.H. 8 239 04-06-2014 08:13 AM
Last Post: Michael_Tadlock
  Question for anti-abortion atheists Hierophant 143 4,525 23-05-2014 07:33 AM
Last Post: Walter
Brick Atheists; Gun Rights Acknowledgement Snuff 396 10,678 05-05-2014 05:54 AM
Last Post: War Horse
  FDA bans preventative medicine to hide the cost of Obamacare? frankksj 140 2,613 31-12-2013 03:53 PM
Last Post: GirlyMan
  Gordan Klingenschmitt running for Office. Terrified! cowboyatheist 2 154 19-12-2013 06:58 AM
Last Post: Hafnof
  Why do so many leftist atheists endorse Nietzsche? janthuffy 53 1,862 16-09-2013 10:55 PM
Last Post: black_squirrel