Petition to examine bans on Atheists in office.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-01-2013, 01:47 PM (This post was last modified: 25-01-2013 02:53 PM by GirlyMan.)
RE: Petition to examine bans on Atheists in office.
All right, I looked into what the fuck's wrong with my otherwise extremely liberal home State of the People's Republic of Maryland and see that it's in Maryland's Constitution Declaration of Rights Article 37: "That no religious test ought ever to be required as a qualification for any office of profit or trust in this State, other than a declaration of belief in the existence of God;"

And apparently I was mistaken when I called it a State issue. The Supreme Court has already ruled in Torcaso v. Watkins that the requirement violates the First and Fourteenth Amendments to the United States Constitution. So the requirement in Maryland as well as the other 6 States is effectively unenforceable and exposes the State to litigation it will invariably lose if it tries. And this petition is also effectively moot as a consequence.

So now I think I'm gonna look into how to get the unenforceable unconstitutional language removed from Maryland's Constitution. It's an embarrassment at best.

Thanks again, WaterRat!

This is not my signature.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post

Messages In This Thread
RE: Petition to examine bans on Atheists in office. - GirlyMan - 25-01-2013 01:47 PM