Petition to remove religious tax-exempt status

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-07-2014, 01:16 PM (This post was last modified: 07-07-2014 01:31 PM by Elskidor.)
RE: Petition to remove religious tax-exempt status
If we get Facebook users to join in then that would be great. It would spread at an insane level with some of those groups. I was apart of a couple atheist groups that had well over 10k members but I no longer use Facebook so. ..

Screw it edit: I resubbed to Facebook long enough to drop the word on a few groups.

A wise person makes their own decisions; an ignorant one follows public opinion.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Elskidor's post
07-07-2014, 01:31 PM
(07-07-2014 12:31 PM)Elskidor Wrote:  Signed. Have you promoted on all atheists message boards, facebook groups and reedit? I'd hit them all. I mean I don't mind posting and spreading this either, but more than just TTA needs to sign it to reach such numbers.

I know a couple local groups and can probably gather couple hundred signatures.

This is my only atheist forum, so I have not shared on any others. I have posted on FaceBook to American Humanist Association, Richard Dawkins Foundation, God, Neil deGrasse Tyson, and Lawrence Krauss.

By all means, share to everyone. To clarify, I have nothing to do with this petition outside of signing and sharing.

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRcmPL4codsbtiJhpFav3r...-w_49ttW6a]
07-07-2014, 02:15 PM
Done.

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
[+] 1 user Likes Minimalist's post
07-07-2014, 02:18 PM
You have doomed this world.

Truth seeker.
07-07-2014, 05:54 PM
Re: Petition to remove religious tax-exempt status
I'll sign it but I'm not entirely a fan of the way it's written.

I would like to remove tax exempt status but it doesn't actually violate the establishment clause. Buildings of all accepted religious organizations are granted this exception which means no religion is being endorsed over another.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
[+] 1 user Likes ClydeLee's post
07-07-2014, 06:02 PM
Signed. I agree it's poorly written, but any port on a storm.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
[+] 1 user Likes BnW's post
07-07-2014, 06:02 PM
(07-07-2014 02:18 PM)diddo97 Wrote:  You have doomed this world.

It already is - our sun's a timebomb.
07-07-2014, 06:33 PM (This post was last modified: 07-07-2014 06:38 PM by RogueWarrior.)
(07-07-2014 05:54 PM)ClydeLee Wrote:  I'll sign it but I'm not entirely a fan of the way it's written.

I would like to remove tax exempt status but it doesn't actually violate the establishment clause. Buildings of all accepted religious organizations are granted this exception which means no religion is being endorsed over another.

It agree. It is more the 'automatic' exemption the religious organizations called churches get. No non-religious organization gets an automatic exemption.

And also it is the government (IRS) who decides if your particular church is a 'real' church for the purposes of the automatic exemption.
What gives the government the power to decide what is or is not a church? Certainly not the Constitution.

It is true that some churches do charitable works, some do not. Yet all can receive the automatic exemption.
If they are truly a charitable group, let them prove it like all other charitable groups, and open their books.
[+] 1 user Likes RogueWarrior's post
07-07-2014, 06:39 PM
(06-07-2014 10:10 AM)Jeffasaurus Wrote:  I just came across this. It is a petition that reads:
Quote:We the People of the United States, demand that the tax exempt status of all churches in the U.S., be removed immediately and that there be no government funding of ANY religion. Keep the separation of church and state! Taxpayers who do not believe or agree with the current religious influence on policy should not have to fund the religious right with tax money. Eliminating the tax exemption status for churches would solve poverty in the United States. We no longer want to fund religions who think the Bible trumps the Constitution.

Petition

There is a deadline of July 30, 2014
Sign it (U.S. only).
Share it.

signed!

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
07-07-2014, 06:51 PM
Signed!
Sending out mass E-mails to all my IRL atheist friends..... Confused ..... maybe I should facebook it instead Undecided