Petition to remove religious tax-exempt status

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-07-2014, 07:08 PM
RE: Petition to remove religious tax-exempt status
(07-07-2014 06:51 PM)TheGulegon Wrote:  Signed!
Sending out mass E-mails to all my IRL atheist friends..... Confused ..... maybe I should facebook it instead Undecided

Both.
IRL i have no atheist friends and I refuse to use FB.Weeping
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
07-07-2014, 07:25 PM
(07-07-2014 07:08 PM)RogueWarrior Wrote:  
(07-07-2014 06:51 PM)TheGulegon Wrote:  Signed!
Sending out mass E-mails to all my IRL atheist friends..... Confused ..... maybe I should facebook it instead Undecided

Both.
IRL i have no atheist friends and I refuse to use FB.Weeping

I've only got one, maybe his lady, too, but they don't live around here anymore.
I check my facebook page once a year or some shit! Same people I have listed in my E-mail contacts, for the most part! Undecided But maybe a few of them would forward it to others, if not sign it themselves.

07-07-2014, 08:44 PM
[Image: Capture_zps68aa6ba9.png]
07-07-2014, 10:32 PM
I just saw this. Will have to consider all the ramifications and possible unintended consequences of removing the tax exempt status from religions. Under the tax-exempt law, religions are prohibited from publicly endorsing or opposing political candidates, and are pretty much shut out of the political process. It's bad enough that many churches find ways to circumvent the restrictions. Can you imagine the monies raised and the public endorsements if the tax-exempt prohibitions were gone?

Put up a petition to remove land use ordinance exemptions for churches, I'll sign it in a heartbeat. Put up any petition which makes regulations and ordinances apply equally to churches as it does to any other organization, I'll be the first in line. But this, I'm not so sure.

I honestly don't know right now. Perhaps some of you could help me sort this out.
08-07-2014, 07:39 AM
(07-07-2014 10:32 PM)TheBear Wrote:  I just saw this. Will have to consider all the ramifications and possible unintended consequences of removing the tax exempt status from religions. Under the tax-exempt law, religions are prohibited from publicly endorsing or opposing political candidates, and are pretty much shut out of the political process. It's bad enough that many churches find ways to circumvent the restrictions. Can you imagine the monies raised and the public endorsements if the tax-exempt prohibitions were gone?

Put up a petition to remove land use ordinance exemptions for churches, I'll sign it in a heartbeat. Put up any petition which makes regulations and ordinances apply equally to churches as it does to any other organization, I'll be the first in line. But this, I'm not so sure.

I honestly don't know right now. Perhaps some of you could help me sort this out.

Just bear in mind Wink that this is clearly not a final draft of a law. If it ever reaches that stage it would include legal definitions, parameters, and be several pages long. I think the objective of the petition simply brings attention to the issue and perhaps (I really have no idea) forces the guv-mint to address the concerns.

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRcmPL4codsbtiJhpFav3r...-w_49ttW6a]
08-07-2014, 12:51 PM
I might catch some flak for what I'm about to say, but I won't sign it.

1. I think that We The People is a pretentious formality sponsored by the White House. It's inflating actual representation of citizen interests in the federal government; they are completely bought out to corporate and party interests.

2. It comes across as "slacktivism." Working within the format provided by a damaged system isn't a means of making it better. Those petitions don't do a damn thing to influence public policy.

3. There is not a chance in hell this would pass Congress even if the government gave a shit about petitions. Demanding immediate withdrawal of religious tax exemption will be viewed as too extreme.

4. The petition is poorly constructed. It errouneously connects tax exemption status with taxpayer funding of religion.

5. As stated previously, the problem isn't tax exemption itself, but that it's applied to religious institutions regardless of whether they are non-profit or not. If it's a for profit organization, it should be taxed. If not, then not. The government shouldn't be deciding what is classified as a religion for tax exemption, they should be deciding what religious institutions are non-profit.

[Image: giphy.gif]
[+] 2 users Like Tartarus Sauce's post
08-07-2014, 12:58 PM
Does anyone who signed this petition actually believe that it's going to change anything? Laugh out load

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Vosur's post
08-07-2014, 01:07 PM
(08-07-2014 12:58 PM)Vosur Wrote:  Does anyone who signed this petition actually believe that it's going to change anything? Laugh out load

Not in and of itself, no. What it might do however is raise the issue. Consciousness raising is a good thing.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 2 users Like Revenant77x's post
08-07-2014, 01:13 PM
Its bringing awareness. I support people who try to do that. Id much rather be trying to bring awareness to an issue then sitting on my thumbs and just whinging about it.
[+] 1 user Likes Hobbitgirl's post
08-07-2014, 02:33 PM
(08-07-2014 01:13 PM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  Its bringing awareness. I support people who try to do that. Id much rather be trying to bring awareness to an issue then sitting on my thumbs and just whinging about it.

In that case, issues 4 and 5 that I brought up are still relevant since it's not portraying the issue correctly.

[Image: giphy.gif]