Petition to remove religious tax-exempt status

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-07-2014, 09:09 PM
RE: Petition to remove religious tax-exempt status
Why do I feel the government will get rid of this once they see it?

[Image: Guilmon-41189.gif] https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOW_Ioi2wtuPa88FvBmnBgQ my youtube
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
09-07-2014, 10:11 PM
Making people aware is what will do the trick, even if this particular petition doesn't reach its numbers, which it won't at this rate. The topic needs more news coverage.

A wise person makes their own decisions; an ignorant one follows public opinion.
10-07-2014, 04:00 AM
Re: RE: Petition to remove religious tax-exempt status
(09-07-2014 10:11 PM)Elskidor Wrote:  Making people aware is what will do the trick, even if this particular petition doesn't reach its numbers, which it won't at this rate. The topic needs more news coverage.

Aware of what actually? Supporting awareness of somethings that aren't legitimate issues is what bothers me immensely about organizations like American Atheists.

There's tons worth of issues caused by religion that violates the constitution or other established laws, but those are ignored despite needing awareness jr actual cases brought up. A scenario, like this tax haven, just creates a devise image over an actual legal/humanitarian point.

Dammit.. I feel like Trainwreck

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
10-07-2014, 08:26 AM
(10-07-2014 04:00 AM)ClydeLee Wrote:  
(09-07-2014 10:11 PM)Elskidor Wrote:  Making people aware is what will do the trick, even if this particular petition doesn't reach its numbers, which it won't at this rate. The topic needs more news coverage.

Aware of what actually? Supporting awareness of somethings that aren't legitimate issues is what bothers me immensely about organizations like American Atheists.

There's tons worth of issues caused by religion that violates the constitution or other established laws, but those are ignored despite needing awareness jr actual cases brought up. A scenario, like this tax haven, just creates a devise image over an actual legal/humanitarian point.

This is a far more important issue than most that see daylight (the 9/11 cross for instance) and it is an establishment issue as churches are given a free pass to tax free status while being for profit businesses. Go look up Joel Olstein and his 100 million dollar home that is tax free and tell me that is not preferential treatment.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
10-07-2014, 08:44 AM
(06-07-2014 10:43 AM)natachan Wrote:  Signed.

Although the fact it needs 98,000 signatures by the end of the month is disheartening.

Maybe a "miracle" will happen and we will get a mysterious set of people to sign it.

I know! Lets alert all of the Amazing Atheist, cult of dusty, and Vegan Atheist fans who subscribed to him to get them to sign it. If we can get a fraction of their fans to sign it, then we will have a chance! Big Grin

My Youtube channel if anyone is interested.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEkRdbq...rLEz-0jEHQ
11-07-2014, 06:35 PM
I actually started a "Refuting Psuedoscience" page in response to this.

“It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.”
― Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Sherlock Holmes
12-07-2014, 08:52 AM
Re: RE: Petition to remove religious tax-exempt status
(10-07-2014 08:26 AM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(10-07-2014 04:00 AM)ClydeLee Wrote:  Aware of what actually? Supporting awareness of somethings that aren't legitimate issues is what bothers me immensely about organizations like American Atheists.

This is a far more important issue than most that see daylight (the 9/11 cross for instance) and it is an establishment issue as churches are given a free pass to tax free status while being for profit businesses. Go look up Joel Olstein and his 100 million dollar home that is tax free and tell me that is not preferential treatment.

Yes that situation exists, while Masques and Temples also are given a the free pass to tax free status.

It's simply not an establishment issue because Joel Olstein's religion isn't given more preferential treatment than other religions. The fact that some of those people are better at taking advantage of that than others doesn't mean the rule is being violated.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
12-07-2014, 08:53 AM
(12-07-2014 08:52 AM)ClydeLee Wrote:  
(10-07-2014 08:26 AM)Revenant77x Wrote:  This is a far more important issue than most that see daylight (the 9/11 cross for instance) and it is an establishment issue as churches are given a free pass to tax free status while being for profit businesses. Go look up Joel Olstein and his 100 million dollar home that is tax free and tell me that is not preferential treatment.

Yes that situation exists, while Masques and Temples also are given a the free pass to tax free status.

It's simply not an establishment issue because Joel Olstein's religion isn't given more preferential treatment than other religions. The fact that some of those people are better at taking advantage of that than others doesn't mean the rule is being violated.

It is when compared to the hoops that non-religious non-profits have to jump through to get their tax-free status.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
14-07-2014, 03:44 PM (This post was last modified: 14-07-2014 03:50 PM by Tartarus Sauce.)
(12-07-2014 08:53 AM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(12-07-2014 08:52 AM)ClydeLee Wrote:  Yes that situation exists, while Masques and Temples also are given a the free pass to tax free status.

It is when compared to the hoops that non-religious non-profits have to jump through to get their tax-free status.

This is exactly the point I brought up and why this petition will be inefficient at raising awareness because it doesn't lay out the points it should and makes demands it shouldn't.

"We the People of the United States, demand that the tax exempt status of all churches in the U.S., be removed immediately and that there be no government funding of ANY religion."

Not all establishments of worship are for-profit institutions, yet the petition treats them all as such. I mentioned in an earlier post that what the petition should have called for was an end to religion being a factor in tax exemptions of organizations and therefore preventing for-profit institutions using religion as a tax shield, NOT for all religious organizations to pay taxes even if they are non-profit. That IS discrimination if religious non-profit institutions are the only 501©(3)s which have to pay taxes.

Additionally, the petition incorrectly equivocates religious tax exemption with government funding of religious organizations. The two issues may overlap in places, but they are not mutually inclusive nor identical.

Even for the purpose of raising awareness I wouldn't sign the petition because it reflects poorly upon those whom wish to remove religious tax exemption for for-profit institutions, which is really the only manner it can (and should) be removed that is within constitutional bounds. It would be wise to not burn the house down while killing a spider.

[Image: giphy.gif]
[+] 2 users Like Tartarus Sauce's post
17-07-2014, 09:10 PM
Signed, but it doesn't look good.

"You're very clever, young man, very clever, but it's turtles all the way down!"